The Walrus Hostel Reviews

172 Westminster, Bridge Road, London, England

This is a fine place - well priced, great staff, comfortable bedding. Pub on the bottom floor is a great place to hang out, lots of locals coming in as well. Discount on drinks for hostel stayers! Location could not be much better for the price - 10 minutes from Westminster, five from Tube station. It is an older building and a bit dingy, adjacent railroad tracks a bit noisy at night. It is clean enough though. Staff is GREAT.

• 26th Oct 2014

Staff was brilliant, well done girls. :)

• 25th Oct 2014
  • Hungary

Staff & location great! The rest? Well, you decide. a) No soap or paper towels in toilet room for ALL 3 days of my stay b) Extreme noise from train station c) Room not vacuumed or swept, & trash not emptied before arrival. d) Shower is terrible with a VERY weak flow, and good luck with getting hot water unless you shower at 6 A.M.....in which case you may get scalded because the water temperature is very difficult to adjust So....NO, I would not recommend this hostel.

• 22nd Oct 2014

The Walrus had a great vibe with a bar downstairs to meet people from all over the world. The staff was very welcoming and the rooms were clean. The complimentary breakfast was great to have on the go too! Loved my stay here

• 18th Oct 2014

Great bar area which is also one of the common areas. I was in a 18 bed dorm and there was still plenty of space and I didn't feel super cramped. There could be more showers for the amount of beds there are and the showers could be a little cleaner. Staff is amazing. The bar prices are pretty good. The beds are actually super comfortable.

Everything was very good. Price - location the best. Cycle tours every morning. Good maps for first-comers. Friendly stuff, even after the door closed.

Clean. Great location and friendly staff.

Our party of 7( ewwith the accommodation I found. Some negative views about the train noise but not a major problem and easily resolved with earplugs. The location brilliant. Staff GREAT and a credit to the company (I hope they value them). We initially had changes at the booking stage and Silvia in particular was very helpful.The showers do need updating but again we all managed adequately. The breakfast was FAB and a welcome surprise.

• 9th Oct 2014

A great backpacker hostel with a great location. The staff is nice and always here to help you if needed. Good that there is a kitchen even if it is a really small one. Great breakfast in the morning with a lot of choice...so far the best place I've been in for it :)

Excellent staff stands out the most. Free breakfast simple and processed foods, but good. There was one blood stain on my sheet and one on my towel, but overall cleanliness acceptable for a hostel. The top floor bathroom sink did not work. Some bathrooms only have a toilet, no sink, and only a couple bathrooms had mirrors. The shower I used on the 3rd floor drained slowly. The shower on the top floor had an unusual set up. No garbage cans in any of the bathrooms. Long waits for the bathrooms.

• 7th Oct 2014

I had quite a good time here. The free breakfast and wifi were great. The staff and guests were friendly and the hostel had a good atmosphere. However, the trains were very loud, so definitely needed ear plugs to sleep! Also, the toilets were not very nice and often seemed to be clogged. The kitchen was very very small.

Amazing hostel. Great welcoming staff and stellar location. It felt like i was at home

• 4th Oct 2014

The hostel is really good. well organised and you can count on the staff any time. People are friendly and always willing to help. The showers are not so good but it is ok. you will save money staying close to the city centre.

I loved staying at The Walrus! Friendly staff, clean and closed to everything! I'll be staying here again :D

• 1st Oct 2014

Although the cleaning staff tried really hard to keep the place clean, there was quite a bit of mould in the bathrooms. The shower facilities were pretty average, with nowhere to put your clothes or towel. They need some work. Also the toilets kept getting blocked. Kitchen too small. As far as the hostel went, it was okay, but we had the normal dorm problems with people snoring and getting up too early. We ended up moving to a hostel a block away for the las night, which was much nicer.

• 29th Sep 2014

The Walrus staff is probably the funniest and nicest Staff I ever met and the location is great- 5' walk to London Eye and the South Bank. Nevertheless I was really disappointed by the rooms and facilities. I'm normally not really fussy, but toilets, showers and the floor sickened me. However the bar was really comfortable with a nice atmosphere and thanks to the electronic door system there is no curfew.

Amazing place to stay, right in the heart of London! It's easy to get to most of the major sites quickly. The staff was superb. Some of the nicest and most helpful people I've met! My only complaint was that the 18 bed dorm we were in did not have enough electrical outlets for everyone, and some of the other guests did not like sharing. We made do though! I would definitely stay here again the next time I am in London!!

• 24th Sep 2014

Staffs are really nice!

The staff was always very friendly and accommodating. The hostel is near a train which can be heard at night, but earplugs solve that. London Eye, Big Ben and London Tower are all within walking distance. Some of the bathrooms are small and extremely low water pressure but they just remodeled bathrooms on the upper floor which are very nice. Fun bar and discounted drinks at another hostel down the way.

Alex, the owner was the greatest host EVER. Unfortunately, there was a young man/staff member during the day who was not friendly, my daughter had 3 bags to carry downstairs (no elevator) and he did not bother to help her with any of it, another guest offered to helped her with the luggage. But we would highly recommend this hostel. Thanks!

• 14th Sep 2014