The Wandering Paisa Backpackers Hostel Reviews

Calle 44 A No. 68 A 76 Laureles., Medellin, Colombia

Great atmosphere and the location is perfect for experiencing the local culture as opposed to the tourist area. Also close to the Metro and loads of restaurants/bars.

Not a great location as we wanted to spend most of our time in Poblado however the hostel was located close to the metro and taxis were cheap so getting around wasn't too big an issue.

This is a wonderful hostel, everything is done to the highest standard from the minute you walk in: 24 hour reception, secure entrance, clean bathrooms with hot water, soap and hand towels always provided, spacious clean kitchen, lots of different social areas, comfy beds, really good value bar! It's in a fantastic part of the city and unlike all the poblado gringo hostels it's really near the metro. Best of all it's really easy to meet people at salsa and language exchange events. 5 stars.

• 31st Jul 2014

just AWESOME, thank you! the only thing that you can improve is the description of the hostel and his rooms. for example I thought there were this big showers for like 5 people, but you have 2 nice littles showers that you can close.. or for example I wanted a room just for me but I got the room for 2 people actually.

• 28th Jul 2014
  • Switzerland

Hostel common areas were very clean but room needed to be cleaned.

The hostel actually overbooked and messed up my booking. They gave my private room to someone else, which was very disappointing when I arrived at 8:30pm. However, they did go above and beyond, to resolve the situation - they rang around to other hostels, booked a private room for me, and paid for my new accommodation for the 3 nights I had originally booked, as well as paying for the taxi to get there. I've worked in tourism for over 15 years and I was very impressed with this service.

Thank you for your kind words. Again, we are extremely sorry that we could not honor your reservation with hostelworld, resolving the problem the way that we did was the least that we could do. We are glad that you were satisfied with our ability to make up for our mistake, but we really wish you could have spent that time that you reserved with us in our hostel. Again we apologize for any inconvenience, you are always welcome at our hostel.

Everything was perfect at Wandering Paisa. I was originally going to stay in Poblado but other travelers recommended Wandering. So I booked 2 of 4 nights there off of HostelWorld. After being at the facilities and having a blast, I decided to stay 2 more nights. Loved the hot showers, spacious lockers, fair drink and beer prices, bilingual desk helpers and cleanliness. Awesome hostel!

• 2nd Jul 2014

Great atmosphere. Good location. Great staff!

Very well run hostel with everything you need. Out of the gringo heavy El Poblado and super close to the metro station estadio (the metro In Medellin is brilliant at all hours). Staff were always kind and attentive and it is well equipped with facilities. Enjoy Medellin, one of my favourite cities, the people are wonderful. And do the walking tour!

The place to go for a more authentic Colombian experience, away from the foreigner-heavy Poblado neighborhood. There are fun events (language exchange, Karaoke, open mic, salsa classes, etc.) a few times a week that draw in community members, and the staff are extremely helpful and friendly. It's in a nice neighborhood with good restaurants, bars, and the metro nearby. The hostel itself is a nice space, clean, and they even have directv for western sports.

• 14th May 2014

Booked 2 days in this hostel but end up staying 5 days because I had a good roommate otherwise some other travelers are not really engaging in communicating with other travelers and our room was not clean for 4 days and 2nd floor bathroom is not clean most of the time. The only thing I like in this hostel are the staff always have a smile to greet and help you.This a good place to meet local people on Thursday night on their language exchange program and there's plenty of space to chill out.

• 4th May 2014

This hostel rocks! It's in an awesome location with heaps of bars, restaurants and cheap take wways close by! The hostel is really clean, awesome mix of travellers, great bar, and has lots of comfortable areas to chill out In the day. Came back here twice!

Thank you to Brent and the staff for making our time in Medellin fantastic. Great location would stay there again... Thanks

Stayed for two nights and the staff were friendly enough, the hostel lacks atmosphere though and is a bit out of town compared to other hostels.

I had the private room at the back called "Chile". The bottom part of the wall behind the bed was covered with black mold. The whole room had a musty smell and I got a respiratory infection the day I left. Plastic dish wear in the kitchen was yucky and food remnants remained for a couple days. The staff was nice tho, and it's in a good location if you like to Salsa dance.

Thanks for your comments, we were unaware of the mold problem in the room. We will fix it right away. Safe travels!

I stayed at the Paisa for a week while finding an apartment and didn't want to leave! I stayed in a 4 bed dorm with a/c - really comfy bed, spacious & quiet (after the bar closed). Evenings at the Paisa are great, especially the language exchange & karaoke - a great way to meet travelers & locals - plus Brent (owner) & other staff never seem to forget your face. Really homely atmosphere and I still go back now some evenings even though I have my own place in the city. Stay here!!

Incredible hostel. I stayed in two others before I found Wandering Paisa. It has a great location, great staff, is safe, and close to everything. The BEST part is the area where the hostel is located. If you actually want to see Medellin and not just hang out with other backpackers this is undoubtedly the absolute best place in Medellin. They have events where you can meet locals and the it is right by the Setenta which is an incredible area to go out. Hands down the best hostel in Medellin.

The Wandering Paisa certainly lived up to its reputation! TWP is probably one of the best hostels I've ever stayed with and boasts many perks that other don't. While small, the bar area draws an impressive crowd and mix of travelers as well as locals on some nights. The rooms were clean and comfortable. It's not often you have comfortable pillows in a hostel! There's quite a bit of space for lounging and relaxing even with a good number of people in the hostel.

The Best. If you want an authentic experience in Medellin, do yourself a favor and stay at the Wandering Paisa in Estadio-Laurales area. The owner and staff at the Paisa are top notch - incredibly helpful & personable. The bunks are some of the most comfortable I've stayed in, especially with the added benefit of personal drawers. The bar is cheap & a great place to start your night. The kitchen is fully stocked (unusual for most hostels). The location (to metro/ bars/ great food) is great!

• 21st Feb 2014