The Wandering Paisa Backpackers Hostel Reviews

Calle 44 A No. 68 A 76 Laureles., Medellin, Colombia

+: the locationn, only 4 blocks way from metro And restaurants. Friendly staff -: room very dirty: in two days, the 8 bed-dorm was not cleaned, neither the ensuite bathroom. The 8bed-dorm is far too small, you can maybe fit 6 people and it still feels very packed, in reality it is a 4 bed-dorm suited for the space.The lack of cleanliness and aeration makes it unbearable. I moved after 2 nights for another hostal. Also, it is a party hostal, if you plan to just sleep, it is not your place.

surprised by the rating on hostel world, i think it should be lower considering other hostels in medellin are a bit better due to atmosphere and cleanliness. As for security, I do not like that lockers are outside the rooms, which are very small and cramped. Toilets and showers are unisex, few and need to be cleaned more often. smelly dorms. It is cheap however, and staff are friendly.

Great location--4 blocks to metro and a college town atmosphere. Great reception staff! Safe neighborhood. Bathrooms and kitchen could be cleaner!

Great atmosphere to socialize and meet people from around the world and local people. Staff are extremely nice and supportive to requests for advice. Beds are comfortable. Hostel is well maintained and I have noticed a cleaning lady at the hostel everyday. They have a few hammocks to chill out on the second floor. Great opportunity to meet local people on Thursday and learn Salsa on Tuesday evenings. Would recommend shower heads be replaced in all bathrooms as they do not work properly.

Really enjoyed my stay, hostel is situated close to the metro, bars etc.. Perfer the area over El poblado as it's feels a bit more Colombian, El poblado is like an area you'd find in the states or Europe! Good kitchen and chill out areas, nice beds, ok showers that were nice and hot! Would come back again!

Pros: location, breakfast is good, matresses very comfortable. Cons: the rooms are packed tight (i slept with someone' feet at times touching my head). Common areas are small and located next to the doorms, meaning with all the noise i rarely got more than 4 hours sleep (i was inhaling smoke in my sleep at one point). The bar is tiny and depressing. Computer access is not free. On top of all this some really drunk idiot got into my bed after pissing inside the dorm...

The bar in the hostel makes the evenings a bit too noisy, to my taste.

The dorm beds can be a bit squeaky and due to poor ventilation and depending on the level of hygiene of your roommates the room can smell a bit funky. I moved to the single room with its own bathroom and my experience was much improved for only about double the dorm rate. It's a lively hostel with plenty of chatter at night and locals also drop in on Thursday nights to have a drink and practice English and other languages with the guests. Location in Laureles close to Estadio Metro was a .

Great hostel with a very friendly vibe. Fantastic location in Estadio, a much more authentic feel than Poblado. Very close to the Metro, the football stadium and a huge array of restaurants and bars. Awesome place!

• 29th Aug 2014

One of the best hostels I have stayed in! It is right near the metro line so the entire city is easily accessible! It is huge, so there is an opportunity to meet tons of people. Very clean, and the staff is extremely helpful and entertaining. If you stay in Medellin, you must stay here

• 29th Aug 2014

This place was awesome. I planned to stay at the Wandering Paisa for 5 nights and stayed for 3 weeks. The staff was very friendly and ready to help with any needs I had. I particularly enjoyed the free salsa lessons every Tuesday and the Cultural Exchange (where Colombians come hang out to practice their English and vice versa) on Thursdays. This was a great place to meet people and has a lively bar at nights, although quite hours are enforced after midnight. I will definitely be back!

• 26th Aug 2014

Great experience! Awesome staff! Cool facilities! Super clean! Free salsa lessons! Perfecto!

Great atmosphere and the location is perfect for experiencing the local culture as opposed to the tourist area. Also close to the Metro and loads of restaurants/bars.

One of my favorite hostels out of the 4 months I was in South America. Great location (away from overly touristy El Poblado) 5 minutes from the Metro / Stadium. Great restaurant down the street, cant beat 8,000 peso bandeja. Karaoke and language exchange nights are fantastic. A ton of locals come to hang out and 2 minutes from La Setente where there are plenty of bars, cafes, and discoteckas. Great place to be during the Feria de las Flores.

Not a great location as we wanted to spend most of our time in Poblado however the hostel was located close to the metro and taxis were cheap so getting around wasn't too big an issue.

This is a wonderful hostel, everything is done to the highest standard from the minute you walk in: 24 hour reception, secure entrance, clean bathrooms with hot water, soap and hand towels always provided, spacious clean kitchen, lots of different social areas, comfy beds, really good value bar! It's in a fantastic part of the city and unlike all the poblado gringo hostels it's really near the metro. Best of all it's really easy to meet people at salsa and language exchange events. 5 stars.

• 31st Jul 2014

just AWESOME, thank you! the only thing that you can improve is the description of the hostel and his rooms. for example I thought there were this big showers for like 5 people, but you have 2 nice littles showers that you can close.. or for example I wanted a room just for me but I got the room for 2 people actually.

• 28th Jul 2014
  • Switzerland

Hostel common areas were very clean but room needed to be cleaned.

The hostel actually overbooked and messed up my booking. They gave my private room to someone else, which was very disappointing when I arrived at 8:30pm. However, they did go above and beyond, to resolve the situation - they rang around to other hostels, booked a private room for me, and paid for my new accommodation for the 3 nights I had originally booked, as well as paying for the taxi to get there. I've worked in tourism for over 15 years and I was very impressed with this service.

Thank you for your kind words. Again, we are extremely sorry that we could not honor your reservation with hostelworld, resolving the problem the way that we did was the least that we could do. We are glad that you were satisfied with our ability to make up for our mistake, but we really wish you could have spent that time that you reserved with us in our hostel. Again we apologize for any inconvenience, you are always welcome at our hostel.

Everything was perfect at Wandering Paisa. I was originally going to stay in Poblado but other travelers recommended Wandering. So I booked 2 of 4 nights there off of HostelWorld. After being at the facilities and having a blast, I decided to stay 2 more nights. Loved the hot showers, spacious lockers, fair drink and beer prices, bilingual desk helpers and cleanliness. Awesome hostel!

• 2nd Jul 2014