The Wandering Paisa Backpackers Hostel Reviews

Calle 44 A No. 68 A 76 Laureles., Medellin, Colombia

Thank you to Brent and the staff for making our time in Medellin fantastic. Great location would stay there again... Thanks

Stayed for two nights and the staff were friendly enough, the hostel lacks atmosphere though and is a bit out of town compared to other hostels.

I had the private room at the back called "Chile". The bottom part of the wall behind the bed was covered with black mold. The whole room had a musty smell and I got a respiratory infection the day I left. Plastic dish wear in the kitchen was yucky and food remnants remained for a couple days. The staff was nice tho, and it's in a good location if you like to Salsa dance.

Thanks for your comments, we were unaware of the mold problem in the room. We will fix it right away. Safe travels!

I stayed at the Paisa for a week while finding an apartment and didn't want to leave! I stayed in a 4 bed dorm with a/c - really comfy bed, spacious & quiet (after the bar closed). Evenings at the Paisa are great, especially the language exchange & karaoke - a great way to meet travelers & locals - plus Brent (owner) & other staff never seem to forget your face. Really homely atmosphere and I still go back now some evenings even though I have my own place in the city. Stay here!!

Incredible hostel. I stayed in two others before I found Wandering Paisa. It has a great location, great staff, is safe, and close to everything. The BEST part is the area where the hostel is located. If you actually want to see Medellin and not just hang out with other backpackers this is undoubtedly the absolute best place in Medellin. They have events where you can meet locals and the it is right by the Setenta which is an incredible area to go out. Hands down the best hostel in Medellin.

The Wandering Paisa certainly lived up to its reputation! TWP is probably one of the best hostels I've ever stayed with and boasts many perks that other don't. While small, the bar area draws an impressive crowd and mix of travelers as well as locals on some nights. The rooms were clean and comfortable. It's not often you have comfortable pillows in a hostel! There's quite a bit of space for lounging and relaxing even with a good number of people in the hostel.

The Best. If you want an authentic experience in Medellin, do yourself a favor and stay at the Wandering Paisa in Estadio-Laurales area. The owner and staff at the Paisa are top notch - incredibly helpful & personable. The bunks are some of the most comfortable I've stayed in, especially with the added benefit of personal drawers. The bar is cheap & a great place to start your night. The kitchen is fully stocked (unusual for most hostels). The location (to metro/ bars/ great food) is great!

• 21st Feb 2014

The hostel was really let down by the lacking of cleaning in one of the bathrooms. It wasn't cleaned for two days and there was no toilet paper for three. The room I stayed in was tiny and had 8 beds so whilst there was room for the beds, there wasn't room for belongings. It should be a 6 bed dorm, you can't really put anything in the drawers cos they're broken. It helped that there is a shelf for the bottom bunk. Great to have free salsa but info needs to be more prominent. Helpful staff.

I stayed at the Wandering Paisa for over a month during my stay in Medellin. I never write reviews but in this case I had to make an exception. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful...so much so that they even helped me land a job here in medellin! There are lots of great activities going on around the hostel that allowed me to meet not only fellow travellers but also tons of friendly locals. If your staying in medellin you really should make the wandering paisa your home!

• 2nd Feb 2014

Away from the busy party area of Poblado, The Wandering Paisa offers a calm, easy going place to enjoy and experience what Medellin has to offer. The area of Laureles is middle to upper class and has everything you could need as well as extras. The hostel itself is very clean and well organized, with a great environment for relaxing and getting to know awesome people. The staff are amazing and are extremely helpful with getting to know the best spots in Medellin. Couldn't ask for more!

Fun place with lots of energetic people from all over. Location is close to Metro and accessible to everything.

Ok but not outstanding. NOT in the most trendy El Poblado neighborhood where most other hostels are located and where all Colombians would recommend you to go, yet just one block from a main street (La Setenta) with bars, restaurants, salsa clubs etc. The bar is so-so, without great atmosphere, but cheap beer. Big shortcoming: If you want to use the computers, they charge an additional fee - this is really akward, I haven't seen this in any other hostel in my life. NO breakfast.

Thank you for your feed back. I'm sorry you didn't like the location of the hostel or the fact that we charge for computers or don't have breakfast. I will remind you that all of that is clear on our listing on the HostelWorld website, and if you wanted a hostel located in Poblado with breakfast and free use of computers maybe it would have been better to find a hostel with these features instead of booking with us. Thanks and hope you enjoy the rest of your travels! Brent

Awesome hostel! the owner and staff are friendly and knowledgeable about every aspect of medellin, located only a few minutes walk from some of colombias best bars and clubs, restaurants, cafes, supermarkets AND an Avianca flight office!! There is free WI FI, towels, amazing salsa classes, ping pong, activities each night and so many tours that the staff will organise for you. Being outside of the poblado area was ideal, cheaper and quieter at this hostel Book today :)

I loved it here so much I had to come back even after trying to convince myself that I should check out another neighborhood. The staff are amazing, the location is awesome (you must try Salud Pan and the Italian ice cream place -- both amazing and within walking distance), super close to the estadio metro stop which will get you anywhere in the city (public transit in meddling rocks), and the fellow guests are all super fun and chilled out, without bringing the party back. You must stay here!

• 2nd Jan 2014

Very helpful staff, close to Metro, good hostel for those who do not want to stay in Poblado

Nice hostel, if you want to stay somewhere outside of poblado it's a good choice. Good bar, kitchen, tv room and lots of spaces to chill. Pretty quiet during the week and more social on the weekend, though not overly noisy or anything. Enjoyed my stay here :)

Good location!....Nice staff.

The city is very hoy. We didn't hace fan or AC in our room. They should work on it.

Awesome hostel would definitely recommend. When I arrived I was only planning on staying a week or 2 but ended up staying 5. Great staff who will help you with anything you need or any question you have. The rooms and bathrooms were always clean and in good shape. Laureles is a great area and a short cab/metro ride away from anywhere in the city. The best part is that the vibe can be chill (usually during the week) or party mode (usually during the weekends) so there's something for everyone

• 7th Nov 2013

A nice place, a good neighborhood, above average kitchen, nice facilities all around. Brent, the owner, is a good guy who takes his business seriously, he and his staff know Medellin and their clientele very well.