The Westend Hostel Reviews

35 Palmerston Place, as above, Edinburgh, Scotland

I think it is more appropriate to call this a mini-hotel. It was one of the most luxurious hostels I have stayed in! Staff was great and rooms and beds were clean. A must-stay if you are in Edinburgh!

It's a good place to stay, the only small problem is that there is only one toilet on each floor and there are 2 rooms with 12 beds each.

The shower room can be cleaned a bit more thorough and it had a weird smell when I stayed there.

Really good music in the cool little bar. The whole place was clean and nice. Good cooked Scottish breakfast. I couldn't fit my stupid travel adapter in the little cubbies to charge phones in the room. It's a cool idea, and I'm sure it works great for a lot of chargers, but I had to sit in the bar to charge my phone. No big deal. It was a nice little walk from the hostel into the city center. I thought it was a little far at first, but then I really enjoyed the walk. Edinburgh is awesome.

• 22nd Aug 2014

This was a nice, small hostel, so never a super long line for the bathroom or a kitchen crowd. The kitchen was very nice and had everything you need to cook. There is a TV room and a bar, but my major complaint is that they both close at 11 (or something like that depending on the night), so you pretty much have to go to bed or sit quietly in the dorm room. The location is a 15-20 minute walk to city center, and about 7 minutes to grocery.

excellent

The socket locker is too small. Some plug have to convert twice in order to match the socket in United Kingdom,but the plug will be too big to let it totally put in the locker to lock it.

• 13th Aug 2014

I've never stayed in a shared room before but as it was a last minute booking for the Edinburgh Fringe it was the only room I could get under £300. Not somewhere I would normally stay, but it was as pleasant as I could wish for.

• 8th Aug 2014

Really nice hostel! Really clean and modern with good facilities. I liked staying here, the only downside was it being a 20 minute walk from the main area of Edinburgh.

Probably needs more than one toilet on each floor! but nice stay, thankyou. :)

• 6th Aug 2014

Westend Hostel is amazing! We were a group of four guys, stayed for about six nights and had an awesome time. Really fresh hostel, great location with about a ten minute walk from city centre and really nice staff! Make sure you talk to Megan she's really friendly and super funny, she made sure we had a good time even off duty showing us around the fringe festival. Thank you Megan and Westend Hostel :)!

Amazing Staff very helpful team enjoyed my stay and I will be staying again on my return to Edinburgh. Located in The West End of the city which is nice because the city centre is so busy it's nice be able to sleep at night in a peaceful area.

• 22nd Jul 2014
  • Dominican Republic

It has a good and modern appearance, but the dorms, bathrooms and kitchen are dirty and are never cleaned. I was not sure if the sheets were changed when someone left the dorm. The dish cloth in the kitchen was filthy. Very impersonal, the common areas are small, not very pleasant. It is not a place to mee other people. The walls are covered with threatening signs saying what you cannot do. Cold atmosphere.

ONLY ONE CRITICISM. THERE IS ONLY ONE TOILET ON THE FIRST FLOOR SERVING TWO DORMS WITH OVER 20 BEDS.

• 19th Jul 2014

Great place very central, great staff . Would defiantly stay again

I stayed in a mixed dorm, which was a bit noisy (inevitable) but the lack of a single sex bathroom or anywhere private for women to get dressed/undressed was a bit stressful. Why no black out covering for the windows?

We stayed in Edinburgh for 8 nights and only stayed here 3 nights but kept coming back for the amazing service in their bar which Megan had a massive impact on, the wonderful wifi that put all other sources of internet to shame and the good food that you get a discount on if you stay here.

• 15th Jul 2014

Cool Place ;)

very good Hotel/good staff,very clean,great standard,better than the Britannia Hotel for twice the price around the corner,you have to share a room, but it was very clean etc & for the price difference of a private room in a hotel, it was worth sharing as the facilities worked better here

• 11th Jul 2014

hostel was fine but unfortunately the staff and manager are up them selves im in caladonian backpackers and atmosphere a lot and staff a lot better

• 10th Jul 2014