The Westend Hostel Reviews

35 Palmerston Place, as above, Edinburgh, Scotland

This hostel was so much better than anticipated! We were confused because the hostel promotes itself as a hotel, but I can see why! The staff was excellent, the beds comfortable and clean, the bar/restaurant area was wonderful. Only 1/2 hour walk from the grass market area, very convenient and beautiful! I would definitely recommend to anyone staying in that area!

It was really cozy. They make you feel more like in a hotel/house than in a hostel. The neighborhood is really nice and quiet. Beds are comfortable and the sheets were clean. The toilet and showers could have been cleaner, but they were fine in general.

The staff were great, very helpful ! The place nice. But stayed there for 4 nights and they never cleaned. The bins and carpet were dirty. The room was kind of stuffy. But on the whole, we had a good stay.

Please book the beds. Two times, i was in a mix up of someone claiming a bed in the dorm, but not clearly. This caused problems with an attitude from two individuals, which was unfortunate. Do not think they were very nice people anyway, but this could be easily avoided by booking a specific a bed in the dorms. The hotel is very nice in decor, It is both a hotel and and a hostel. It seems to work.

• 30th Dec 2014

Extraordinary. Food was wonderful, people were friendly, place was immaculate. Loved the room, the building and the kindness of everyone.

Very good everything of the west end hotel.

A 15 minutes walk from the town centre, 5 mins from bus stops, the hotel is excellent! Comfy beds and the bathroom was flawless. Very helpful and kind staff!

I spent a weekend with my sister and we found it really nice in several ways! It's an affordable place, it looks really nice and its facilities are the necessary, clean and near. The staff was very attentive and we didn't find it far from the city centre as we are very used to enjoy walking around the city. Great place, we will surely recommend it!

really liked the place, welcoming, would recommend it.

First hostel experience was awesome! Thanks west end!

• 20th Nov 2014

When I first arrived I was impresed by the decore as it was very modern and stylish. It looks like hotel and feels like a hotel, the backpackers kitchen is disgusting, it was filthy. The Lounge was like a waiting room with no atmosphere. The rooms were big but the floors, showers and toilets were filthy. There are no plugs in the rooms for your laptops you have to use the staff office you can only charge phones. The walk to the center of Edinburgh was easy. Don't take your car no parking.

• 10th Nov 2014

Everything was really good except the cook was OOA for the majority of my stay. Various reasons !! They supply everything for tea or coffee except milk. Surely you can supply a little milk for the guests to have a cuppa in the evening ? Location was a bit of a walk to the centre but overall a great place to stay.

This place was great for my weekend stay! I would definitely return!! The bed, the food, the breakfast, and the staff was very helpful when I had to leave my bag after check out! Excellent!!

• 24th Oct 2014

Really nice, new hostel/hotel. Great kitchen space. The receptionist was super helpful. Beds were a wee bit squeaky and shower wasnt very hot but great value for money!

Good, comfy hostel with modern facilities.

Was using this hostel as a stop over for a night out in Edinburgh. All of the facilities I used were very good, clean communal bathrooms, comfy bed, friendly staff. The atmosphere was a little lacking but there us a bar located within the hostel which appears to be used by travellers and locals alike, overall I would definitely book with this hostel again!

Great place and good powerful showers.

• 2nd Oct 2014
  • French Polynesia

I stayed in a 10 bed dorm and was blown away by the place. I have never been in a place more hospitable while traveling, Staff are helpful, Food good, wifi good and free!! all in all the perfect stay.

• 2nd Oct 2014
  • Denmark

This was the nicest and cleanest hostel that I have ever stayed in. The rooms were a decent size and the ensuite was great. The location is almost perfect. The staff were so friendly and helpful. I could not have had a better time and I would definitely stay there again.

I have stayed here twice before and loved it both times. The staff and whole place is awesome. Try the chicken nachos at the bar they are to die for!

• 21st Sep 2014