The Westend Hostel

8.2
Fabulous 925 Total Reviews

• South Africa, Female, 41+
18th Sep 2017

I had a most pleasant stay at this hostel.The staff was curtious at all times and always ready to lend a helping hand or to give positive advice. Although I slept in a mix dormitory, I felt safe and enjoyed a carefree holiday. Regards Sophia

• Austria, Female, 25-30
11th Sep 2017

I stayed here for one night after traveling from Glasgow. The location was alright and the room was very neat and clean. Only I wish the bathroom would have had a door (else it is just loud when people brush their teeth and wash their face while others are sleeping) and that the light could be turned off during the night. Also a nice community space would have been nice that isn't a bar. But overall I had a pleasant night.

• Indonesia, Female, 25-30
10th Sep 2017

The hostel was beautiful. It probably was a hotel converted to a hostel. I love the fact that the dorm I stayed in had an ensuite bathroom complete with hair dryers and everything. I was a bit disappointed that the reception was not 24 hours. Nobody was there when we checked out, we wanted to leave our luggages but we can't. It would be pretty inconvenient if something were to occur at night and there would be no staff around.

• USA, Female, 25-30
8th Sep 2017
8.0

Very clean hostel, definitely more upscale. There are restrictions on the common room and laundry. There is a kitchen you can cook in, but a grocery store is a bit out of the way. Very close to Haymarket Train station. A bit of a walk to down town but doable. Overall very good experience.

• Scotland, Female, 41+
28th Aug 2017

Only disappointment was that after walking from the bus station to the hostel and hurrying to arrive before 11pm I was told that the bed I had booked (female dorm) was not available. The attendant spent some time trying to find me a female-dorm bed in another hostel but all would involve a long walk late at night and at 70 with severe arthritis I didn't feel prepared to do that so I reluctantly took the mixed-bed room and could not sleep because of loud snoring, middle of the night entry etc.

26th Aug 2017
8.0

The Westend Hostel was lovely. I was able to book a cheap stay relatively close to my arrival date, and when I got there the staff were lovely. I particularly liked the fact there was no curfew and could pretty much do as you pleased without having anyone bother you, as long as you weren't a nuisance to other people you were fine. It was difficult to charge your things in the rooms, but there was a charging station downstairs (along with lockers and a communal kitchen) so it wasn't so hard.

21st Aug 2017
6.9

unimpressed. The bathrooms were all out of soap and shampoo. Awful atmosphere. Fine for one night, but I wouldn't have wanted to stay more

• New Zealand, Male, 25-30
17th Aug 2017
6.9

If you're only after a bed for the night this place is fine. Close enough to Central, the river walk down the road is lovely. Bed/bathroom ratio wasn't great, but fine if you like to sleep in.

• New Zealand, Female, 18-24
14th Aug 2017
7.7

This hostel was very nice it felt like a hotel! I think it actually was a fusion between the two. The rooms were very clean and modern. A couple things to be aware of. It's a 30 minute walk from central, not ideal if you're going out at night for drinks and there's no common room or opportunities to meet other travellers. Would be great to have some meet and greet events. £2 for washing is great though!

• Australia, Female, 18-24
8th Aug 2017
7.7

Pros: live music, good value food, ok distance to the centre (20 min walk, 5 min bus) Cons: staff were hilariously bad at times including one getting really drunk and running around the hostel one night. Others spilled food on people and forgot orders. Additionally my card deactivated itself 4 times over my five night stay leaving me locked out of my room while in a towel etc. Overall I like this place despite the issues I ran into, it has a b&b feel to it.

×