The Westend Hostel Reviews

35 Palmerston Place, Edinburgh, Scotland

Great vibe to eat and have a drink. Very cheap. The staff looked after you and we're always up for a chat, particularly Hailey, SCott and Jaime.

• 29th Oct 2015

The staff are very friendly and its a great hostel. Robin in particular is a canadian superstar, on par with Justin Bieber or Wayne Gretzky.

Loved this place! Perfect distance from town, shower was the best I've had in a hostel, and it was just a chill place to hang out! The beds are a bit squeaky, but when people are settled in it's fine! I would definitely come back here. Awesome for a solo traveller.

We had an awesome stay at the Westend hostel, I would definitely recommend it for anyone traveling to Edinburgh to see and experience the city. Even though my friend and I stayed in a dorm room with 16 other people we got a good amount of sleep. The staff were really, really nice and their recommendations about what to do and where to go were amazing (ask about the free citytour). I'd love to visit this hostel again.

Overall, the hostel is a beautiful place to stay in a nice part of the city. The staff were friendly and helpful!-great value for staying in Edinburgh. However biggest issue was that the self catering kitchen was not very clean. No dishtowels (except 2 dirty ones) or cloths were provided so it made cleaning up difficult, and the staff didn't seem to clean it either, because crumbs and stains on the counters were there during my whole stay. Other than that though, the hostel was great!

• 22nd Oct 2015

I stayed in a ver spacious 18 bed dorm for 1 night. The hostel is very clean and looks more like a hotel than a hostel. Beds are comfortable and they have hot powerful showers and high speed internet. As its in the West end its 5 minute walk to the city but it's a nice walk and quiet at night time. I would recommend.

• 20th Oct 2015

Nice place with all the amenities you need. Near to Haymarket train station and easy for airport.

• 19th Oct 2015
  • Finland

This is the second time I have stayed here. The hostel is more like a hotel with dorm beds inside, All the staff are nice and the bar and food service is great. You also get a discount at the bar for staying there. Thanks to all the staff who helped me lots with directions.

• 18th Oct 2015
  • Austria

We stayed in the first floor (I believe there are at least 3 floors) In our floor, there was only 1 toilette and 3 showers, anyway only once I saw people queuing. Rooms and general decor were great and modern. My mattress was too soft, caused a little back pain, but nothing that would last too much. All in all, would stay again, if the ones closer to the center are fully booked.

Overall the hostel was really nice. The showers were fantastic! It was a little more out of the way than I initially thought but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Very friendly staff, accommodation as expected for a hostel, beds were comfortable and enough room in the dorms. Slight confusion locating the hostel as it advertises itself as the Westend Hostel but the building is the Westend Hotel. Slight confusion over the booking and seemed to have double booked the beds but sorted out very efficiently by the pleasant member of staff to everyones satisfaction.

• 10th Oct 2015
  • All Male Group, 41+

The staff were incredibly accommodating. Made the stay there extremely pleasant. Especially Scott.

- Only 1 toilet for 2 dormitories (Room 1 and 2 on 1st floor) means 1 toilet for 40 people if the hostel is busy (weekends surely is). Could have an urinal or something for men. 3 shower cabins with not enough water pressure :( - Downstairs by the "reception" (which is the bar actually) there's a bathroom for ladies only. You can use it in case of an emergency :) - THE DORMS ARE NOT CLEANED OR VACUUMED AT ALL BY THE STAFF, BELIEVE ME - I STAYED FOR 5 NIGHTS. THIS WAS THE WORST FOR ME.

• 4th Oct 2015
  • Portugal

I loved this place, I stayed in a 18 bed dorm for 3 nights. The place is super clean and the staff are amazing help. They have a fully equipped kitchen and the bar serves cheap amazing food.

• 22nd Sep 2015
  • Poland

Not sure on the ratio of (mixed) toilets to people on a FLoor, but it was a cheap option good for both west end of Edinburgh and city centre attractions.

• 22nd Sep 2015

We were only here for a very short time, but it was a great experience. The place was located in a nice area and we felt safe walking around at night. The staff were awesome, ready to go out of their way to help us (in particular, Hailey, was really awesome with printing our plane boarding passes). I wish we could have stayed a little longer but it felt very clean and well organised. We'd definitely recommend this place to any traveller!

If I turned around, the upward bed made noise.

I came to Edinburgh to do a course at Relationship Scotland during the weekend I stayed with you. It was nice to chill out in the evenings with a good meal, a pint, and live entertainment.

• 11th Sep 2015

Can hear bar music from the room and no outlets at ones bed. And the washroom (with stalls) is shared. All other facts of this hostel were awesome. I really liked it. Will likely return.

I stayed here only for 1 night when attending a conference, I was a little apprehensive as I had not stayed in a backpackers before but due to the festival hotels were so expensive. I was pleasantly surprised and will definitely use this place again. Thanks.

• 31st Aug 2015