The Westend Hostel Reviews

35 Palmerston Place, as above, Edinburgh, Scotland

Great place very central, great staff . Would defiantly stay again

I stayed in a mixed dorm, which was a bit noisy (inevitable) but the lack of a single sex bathroom or anywhere private for women to get dressed/undressed was a bit stressful. Why no black out covering for the windows?

We stayed in Edinburgh for 8 nights and only stayed here 3 nights but kept coming back for the amazing service in their bar which Megan had a massive impact on, the wonderful wifi that put all other sources of internet to shame and the good food that you get a discount on if you stay here.

• 15th Jul 2014

Cool Place ;)

very good Hotel/good staff,very clean,great standard,better than the Britannia Hotel for twice the price around the corner,you have to share a room, but it was very clean etc & for the price difference of a private room in a hotel, it was worth sharing as the facilities worked better here

• 11th Jul 2014

hostel was fine but unfortunately the staff and manager are up them selves im in caladonian backpackers and atmosphere a lot and staff a lot better

• 10th Jul 2014

Very friendly staff. Light and airy room and ensuite. Most helpful with luggage storage for the day. Highly recommended.

The 18 bed dorm was a bit noisy on a Saturday night, as you would expect. Apart from that all was good. Great value for money. The only improvement I would add is lockers for bags underneath or beside the beds. I would definitely stay here again.

very pleasent atmosphere

• 30th Jun 2014
  • Slovakia

Great Hostel although i had no idea it was a Hostel as it says Hotel at the entrance, the beds could do with upgrading as the wire mesh holding the mattresses has sunken, other than that it has everything you need kitchen, wash facilities & laundry, there's even a bar/restaurant down stairs with a discount. Wasn't much atmosphere but I was there on weekdays so it's probably busier at the weekend.

This was my first time staying in a hostel and I must say I was Extremely satisfied with everything. The place is very clean and the staff are super friendly..

• 22nd Jun 2014
  • Slovakia

Great little hostel. Will stay again if I'm in Edinburgh

• 22nd Jun 2014
  • Hungary

Great hostel. Stayed here a few times and would recommend it.

• 17th Jun 2014
  • Scotland

It was a nice hostel (actual name is The Westend Hotel*); clean facilities and common areas. However, there was not 24 hour reception. We left the hostel around 3:00 (in the morning) and the reception door was closed/there was a small box to drop off our key cards. It wasn't a problem for us, but if you accidentally forget something at the hostel and have an early flight, this would seem very problematic; just sayin'. Also, this hostel was about a 20-25 minute walk from the city center.

Food they serve is good, so is the breakfast, which is cheap. Laundry facilities are really helpful, but only available after 4 pm I believe. There is a nice kitchen. Only would have preferred outlets in the rooms instead of the small lockable cell chargers. Rooms clean and comfortable, even with so many beds in the larger rooms.

Hands down the best hostel I have ever stayed in and I believe my number is 25+. I felt like I was in a luxury hotel, not a youth hostel. Beautiful, clean, and modern facilities. Comfortable beds and fantastic water pressure in the shower. 20% off discount at the delicious restaurant and bar which we used daily! Our only complaint is that it is quite far from the center of town, where all the tourist attractions are. However, my friend and I had BritRail passes and took the train in daily!

Excellent service for a reasonable price. The cleanliness and organization of the hostel are noteworthy.

• 19th May 2014

A good place near the Modern Art Museum, perfect if you stay two or three days visiting Edimburgh. The staff is very nice and the rooms are clean

Staff spying on wi-fi users at the hostel and giving details to outside parties.

Thank You for you're comments on Hostelworld. Could you please provide with more information regarding your problems at the hostel. This is quite a serious matter if you are alleging staff have been breaking the data protection laws I will have no option than to pass all details onto the police for investigation. Kind Regards, The West End Hotel Edinburgh.

Good place to stay if you're looking for a good night sleep. Kitchen area could do a bit of cleaning, but apart from that everything is great.