The Westend Hostel Reviews

35 Palmerston Place, as above, Edinburgh, Scotland

It was a nice hostel (actual name is The Westend Hotel*); clean facilities and common areas. However, there was not 24 hour reception. We left the hostel around 3:00 (in the morning) and the reception door was closed/there was a small box to drop off our key cards. It wasn't a problem for us, but if you accidentally forget something at the hostel and have an early flight, this would seem very problematic; just sayin'. Also, this hostel was about a 20-25 minute walk from the city center.

Food they serve is good, so is the breakfast, which is cheap. Laundry facilities are really helpful, but only available after 4 pm I believe. There is a nice kitchen. Only would have preferred outlets in the rooms instead of the small lockable cell chargers. Rooms clean and comfortable, even with so many beds in the larger rooms.

Hands down the best hostel I have ever stayed in and I believe my number is 25+. I felt like I was in a luxury hotel, not a youth hostel. Beautiful, clean, and modern facilities. Comfortable beds and fantastic water pressure in the shower. 20% off discount at the delicious restaurant and bar which we used daily! Our only complaint is that it is quite far from the center of town, where all the tourist attractions are. However, my friend and I had BritRail passes and took the train in daily!

Excellent service for a reasonable price. The cleanliness and organization of the hostel are noteworthy.

• 19th May 2014

A good place near the Modern Art Museum, perfect if you stay two or three days visiting Edimburgh. The staff is very nice and the rooms are clean

Staff spying on wi-fi users at the hostel and giving details to outside parties.

Thank You for you're comments on Hostelworld. Could you please provide with more information regarding your problems at the hostel. This is quite a serious matter if you are alleging staff have been breaking the data protection laws I will have no option than to pass all details onto the police for investigation. Kind Regards, The West End Hotel Edinburgh.

Good place to stay if you're looking for a good night sleep. Kitchen area could do a bit of cleaning, but apart from that everything is great.

It is the top class hostel... I recommend it

It's a bit of a walk from Waverly station and there is no relatively close public transport, so be warned. Aside from that, very nice place. The staff members were very friendly and the room was very clean.

I stayed two nights at the Westend Hostel over Easter week-end and a third night at their sister location, The Hostel, which was cheaper At the Westend, I stayed in a 8 bed female dorm with en suite bathroom and shower facilities. Overall, I would recommend this place. My only complaint is that there was no door separating the sinks from the sleeping area and light and noise from the ensuite was a bit annoying. Depending on your expectations, the cheaper Hostel might be better.

This is the most beautiful hostel I have ever stayed in.

• 18th Apr 2014

Great atmosphere with friendly staff...

• 18th Apr 2014
  • India

Such a gorgeous place. Beautiful backyard. Super comfy bed and comforters. Swanky looking bar. A little bit of a walk from everything but that is my only complaint. Really nice place.

I really liked this hostel and have already a few friends who will no doubt be visiting this hostel

• 6th Apr 2014
  • Scotland

This hostel was exquisite. I thought I had accidentally booked a hotel because it was so nice. The staff were very welcoming and helpful. The rooms were a little tight, but I did share a room with seven others. The facilities were nice, and I was never wanting for anything. The hostel was a little ways away from the main street, but it was a nice and easy walk. It was a nice, quiet area in a nice, quiet place.

I stayed at the west end hotel for a few nights and was instantly blown away by the helpfulness and very upbeat staff. They were very helpful with pointing me in the right direction as to where to go and see. I ate at the hotel both nights the food was amazing and very well priced for the big portions i needed after a long day. The hotel was very spatious and clean which made coming home inviting. Massive thankyou to Alyce, Juan and Lauren it wouldnt of been the same without you guys there!!!

Great accommodation. Very clean, card locked dorm & bathrooms, well equipped kitchen. No issues with WiFi. Lack of power points in the room though. Only one toilet for 30-ish people, so go during "off-peak" times. The bathroom is locked, so carry your card with you at all times. Credit cards are charged a fee, so bring cash.

I love the westend! The staff was friendly knowledgable and kind. The little bar/ resturant downstairs has great food and the tea is brilliant!!! I would stay here any time I was in Edinburgh. Its also a short and very nice scenic stroll to a lovely shopping area. A Great Experience!

good clean hostel/hotel type place. showers were great. only one toilet though for the 18 bedder and 12 bedder together. can get a little tricky...

I like this hostel. Good facilities, staff are fine and the showers are great.