The Westgate Hotel Reviews

1 Botley Road, Oxford, England

It was fine for a two star hotel...slightly pricey but it is ideally located for the train station and an easy walk into the centre. We were expecting worse so it was a pleasant surprise. The room was clean and had lots of windows that we could open so was bright and airy (no 9) the bed was comfortable and the bedding was clean. The stairs are very steep (we were on the second floor) so this could be a problem for people with mobility issues.

• 17th Sep 2014

Unfortunately, the room was simply not clean (I mean, not clean at all). It seems as the bed linens haven't been changed for a while and the room had this weird smell. Our room was actually a couple of blocks away from the actual hotel, in a normal apartment building (not in of itself a problem, but had very little help to find it and the building did not have a sign or anything to identify it). Breakfast was ok, but the dirty room was at the back of my mind while I was eating it.

There was nothing seriously wrong but the room was very basic, the shower was very basic with poor water flow and the staff were grumpy. Reception is a very narrow hallway and anyone booking in or out is in the way of staff trying to serve meals or get through to the rooms etc. One member of staff had a loud argument with a customer during breakfast.

• 9th Aug 2014
  • Couple, 41+

Facilities are basic, room is hot without air-conditioning during summer, cleanliness can be improved, staircase very narrow to climb two floors up and is a fire hazard. Location is good, but being located at cross junction, can be very noisy at times. Carpark is also limited.

• 21st Jul 2014
  • Singapore

Nice place, an easy walk to the town centre and all the main attractions. A pretty substantial breakfast is included in the cost. I stayed in the annex, which is round the corner from the main hotel building (on Abbey Road), which offers real privacy. The shower was warm and the pressure good (I was on the ground floor). It seems a little on the pricey side, but obviously the cost can be split between two people in a twin/double room, and it was still cheaper than the YHA when I looked.

A great little hotel with excellent friendly staff. Cannot wait to go back!

• 25th Apr 2014

The location is the only really good thing. The hotel really needs new carpet, clean beds, a new shower... It feels like everything is filthy, so it is not comfortable being there, made us feel itchy.

We had a lovely stay at the Westgate and the location was fantastic, friendly staff and clean.

• 9th Apr 2014

We were there last weekend and on saturday night the alarm in the Annex building went of THREE times.The first time I rang the main Hotel which is 2 mins around the corner.It took at least 10 mins for anyone to turn up. The second time the alarm went of quite quickly .But on the third occasion at 2.30am I had to get dressed ,walk to the main hotel and bang on the door and buzzer whilst ringing the hotel number. I had no response at all. I did speak to the owner & he had no idea about that night.

• 5th Apr 2014