The Yak Reviews

Calle 10 Norte Bis, entre Av. 10 y Av. 15, Playa del Carmen, Mexico

We were only there for a night but it was great, really friendly staff and good facilities. We went out so I can't really comment on the atmosphere.

• 26th Jul 2015

It's a cool, nice place, very clean, well located, with friendly staff but get's really loud at night. If you want to sleep early, you won't be able.

I loved this hostel. so many activities, lovely staff, ac at night, close to everything and the best atmosphere. I am defenetely coming back! :-)

Fun hostel with a great bar. It can be noisy in the rooms though as they back onto the bar or the street - recommend bringing ear plugs!

Best place ever!! The staff is soooo nice, the atmosphere is amazing, so much fun, so many nice people we will never forget. Everything about it made us never want to leave... We will definitely be coming back to The Yak... Soon!

• 9th Jul 2015
  • Mexico

One of cleanest hostels I've stayed at. Really chill social atmosphere. All the staff are super friendly. If your staying in Playa De Carmen you gotta stay at The Yak!!!

• 5th Jul 2015

Great Hostel, excellent atmosphere and very good staff

Great location for hostel, 1 block from Quinta Ave. Outdoor hostel bar did get loud at night due to party nature of Playa but hostel rooms were quiet due to double glazing. Air con in rooms a definite bonus.

Is an amazing hostel! Thre staff are very friendly and the atmosphete is just perfect to hlmeet and hang out with new people crom everywhere. Also the location is perfect! Next to the main avenue where you cand find restaurants, bars and gift shops. I loved it!

Overall it was a great hostel, the people working there are great as well, the atmosphere awesome the only inconvenience we had is the ac , but they fixed it as soon as possible but it was only one rough hot night! I recommend it, you get to meet lots of travelers!

Great hostel in an awesome position ! especially if you want to be close to the beach and meet people to party with. Our only issue was the staff seemed a little in their own world, they wouldn't check us in as it was a shift change so we waited an hour (not to bad) but when we went to double check our check in and even when buying beers the staff seemed more interested in browsing their Facebook than helping us. only a small annoying issue, other than this the place was great.

Hostel is fantastically located and has a superb looking communal area. However, as often makes or breaks hostels, the staff were utterly useless - specifically the reception staff. The entertainment staff were for sure nice enough. The reception staff were amongst the slowest, least competent couple of people I have ever come across. The term chocolate teapot comes to mind. Didn't give me a locker which locked. Refused to do anything about it either. Had to share with a bloke I barely knew.

We stayed in a private ensuite in an adjacent building to the main hostel. The room was nice but just as we went to bed a band started playing next door - it was so loud they may as well have been in our room! We also struggled with the lock to the building. I raised this with staff the next morning pointing out the lock which took us ten minutes to unlock each time was also the emergency escape route. I got the sense that they've heard this before and nothing will be done about it. Pity really.

Poor check in, had to wait until 5pm before we got keys to our room. Stayed four nights and room wasn't cleaned once, bins not emptied etc. The small kitchenette was useless, we had a stove but couldn't use it as there was no saucepan or frying pan! The mosquito mesh on the windows was ripped with a gaping hole so couldn't open window for fresh air. Good points were great AC unit, bath towels supplied, and the location is great for the ADO bus station, its actually almost opposite Coco Bongos!

The Yak was my favourite hostel in mexico. The staff are amazing, and the people and atmosphere are great. They also organize tours from the hostel that are much cheaper than going through any tour company. There is always something going on and its 5 seconds away from the heart of playa

• 18th Jun 2015
  • LachlanT

The location is great in the central of Carmen near to the best area. The night life is so good. This hostel has a very nice bar offering good drinks with low prices. Lots of people there. so I never feel bored everyday. All the employees are so nice, friendly. I feel like home. Especially Malvi, I always had questions about tours, she answered me everything in details and gave me lots of tips about Carmen. She made my trip awesome! Thank you very much!!! SIngle traveller from Hong Kong

The dorm was cleaned everyday, the common area was very nice and the staff was incredible! Really enjoyed it. During the day the AC was turned off so it got very hot, but no biggie.

Great hostel,but one toilet for 12 people unacceptable.

Fun activities! Awesome staff!

Good social hostel with a great location 30s from the main strip (5th Av) and ~5 mins from the beach. Nightly activities like movie nights, beer pong, so good for a solo traveller. Air-con in the private rooms is a huge bonus. Playa is more of a party place than a place to chill and if I was back in Playa i'd stay here again.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4