The Yak Reviews

Calle 10 Norte Bis, entre Av. 10 y Av. 15, Playa del Carmen, Mexico

We stayed in a private ensuite in an adjacent building to the main hostel. The room was nice but just as we went to bed a band started playing next door - it was so loud they may as well have been in our room! We also struggled with the lock to the building. I raised this with staff the next morning pointing out the lock which took us ten minutes to unlock each time was also the emergency escape route. I got the sense that they've heard this before and nothing will be done about it. Pity really.

The Yak was my favourite hostel in mexico. The staff are amazing, and the people and atmosphere are great. They also organize tours from the hostel that are much cheaper than going through any tour company. There is always something going on and its 5 seconds away from the heart of playa

• 18th Jun 2015
  • LachlanT

The location is great in the central of Carmen near to the best area. The night life is so good. This hostel has a very nice bar offering good drinks with low prices. Lots of people there. so I never feel bored everyday. All the employees are so nice, friendly. I feel like home. Especially Malvi, I always had questions about tours, she answered me everything in details and gave me lots of tips about Carmen. She made my trip awesome! Thank you very much!!! SIngle traveller from Hong Kong

The dorm was cleaned everyday, the common area was very nice and the staff was incredible! Really enjoyed it. During the day the AC was turned off so it got very hot, but no biggie.

Great hostel,but one toilet for 12 people unacceptable.

Fun activities! Awesome staff!

Good social hostel with a great location 30s from the main strip (5th Av) and ~5 mins from the beach. Nightly activities like movie nights, beer pong, so good for a solo traveller. Air-con in the private rooms is a huge bonus. Playa is more of a party place than a place to chill and if I was back in Playa i'd stay here again.

The crowd of Yak hostel made my holiday! People is fun and super easy to make friends, I'll definetely come back!

• 21st May 2015

Absolutely awesome hostel, couldn't recommend more! Clean, super chilled and great activities! Loved it !

Really nice, well-located hostel! We booked for 5 nights, ending up staying for 8. The hostel is 5 minutes from the beach, 2 minutes from nightlife. The hostel itself is perfect to start the night, with a very social crowd and staff. 2 kitchens and 1 rooftop terrasse in top of that, which make the Yak Hostel really perfect to stay in Playa!

• 17th May 2015

Great hostel, very close to the main promenade in Playa del Carmen. VERY close to the ADO bus station, no need to get a cab. There are two kitchens onsite, & there is a Walmart a few streets away. There is also plenty of cheap food along the street parallel to the Main Street (hostel side). A huge plus is that they allow you to bring in your own alcohol (while they also have a bar), & will provide you with ice & cups for your drinks. I really enjoyed this place & would definitely stay again.

The location is very good to go to the beach and to get out. The staff is very nice and you have a lot of activities. The best hostal in Playa!!! I'll come back very soon

We loved our stay here. A very social and fun hostel. Good set up to make friends. Good location, good bar and music. One of the staff cooked us a Argentinean BBQ one night at the hostel. Stayed in private room which was more like an apartment. Good value. Close to shops and restaurants. Excellent wifi

Came back after 10 months, what an incredible hostel, for sure the best I stayed in playa del carmen. Perfect location 3 blocks from the bech and one two blocks from the nightlife. Good facilities, nice staff including the cleaning ladies, they clean so well and many times a day. Nice facilities, wonderful amosphere and a very nice garden to hang out.

It's hard to know where to start. Staff are amazing, facilities are excellent and location is perfect. The relaxed and fun vibe made for an awesome 10 days and I will definitely return someday soon!!

• 7th May 2015

Really clean hostel. Great communal area with evening activities!

Great hostel. The staff are helpful and the hostel runs daily activities (e.g. visit to a close cenote, pizza night etc) The rooms are cleaned multiple times a day, most of them seem to have balconies and the showers have good water pressure. Convenient location too.

Great location one block down from all the action. Nice facilities, including aircon in room which is a must in the summer. Staff were a bit indifferent. Breakfast was nothing special.

My only complaint was with one of your staff members "Mirian". He made us pay an extra 40 pesos for towels yet we all paid previously. I told him this and he said we must pay. I also asked him recommendations for places to go out with house music and he didn't even look at me when he spoke to me he just replied "they all have music". Very poor customer service. I don't know why you are working at a hostel with travellers when you don't want to talk to the people. The other staff were nice though

• 23rd Apr 2015

Great location and atmoshpere, one of the best hostels I've been too. Hot water was a little bit and miss but it was so hot it didn't matter. Would definitely stay here again

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4