The Yak Reviews

Calle 10 Norte Bis, entre Av. 10 y Av. 15, Playa del Carmen, Mexico

The hostel was allright, nothing special in terms of facilities. We took a private room for 4 people and it was as basic as a room gets. The staff was nice and they organized several activities at a good price. Overall, it was OK.

Great atmosphere and daily activities to help meet other people. Nice and friendly staff. I enjoyed my stay here and would go back. Breakfast is very basic.

Very clean. Friendly staff.

• 24th Aug 2014

The best hostel in playa, the best kitchen except the fridge from which things fall once you open the door, a nice garden to hang out with other people, great staff, efficient aircon from 10 pm to 11am, few blocks from the beach and the party.

Great location near the main strip of playa del carmen. We stayed in a private room which was very spacious but was a little unclean with the odd few insects and bugs keeping us company. The bar is so well priced and drinks are very alcoholic and people all congregate outside to drink and chat which was lovely, creating a great atmosphere. Definitely worth a stay if you're in playa del carmen for a night like us or longer too!

I loved the Yak - was my favorite part of Playa actually ! I met great folks from around the world and loved the hang outs in the garden. Staff is SUPER friendly and you feel like they're old friends by the time you leave. Cheap & delicious drinks at the bar. The day trips are perfect, go on them! The bathrooms are a bit dated (toilets need fixing a lot) but no big deal. AWESOME air conditioning. SUPER comfortable beds. EXCELLENT location 3 blocks from beach and in the middle of nightlife.

This hostel would be great if it wasn't in Playa del Carmen. Good lockers, free water, average wifi, good kitchen, close to supermarket, average breakfast, friendly staff, can bring your own alcohol in even though they have a bar. People stayed in their own groups though and didn't mix. Regardless I still wouldn't go back to Playa. Only stay in Playa if you love going to Magaluf or Malia. Isla Mujeres and Tulum are SO much better and I wish I hadn't wasted 2 nights here.

Good hostel ... Few blocks to the 5th ave ( main avenue ) and to the beach Very helpful and nice staff When I go back , I ll def stay here again Just one thing , I had an AC in the room which was meant to work bet 10pm and 11 am .. However my room had this AC timer which ac stopped every for hours so u had to literally get up and set the timer through out the night which was extremely annoying .. Very good way of saving from electricity right but horrible for guests

Had such a great time at The Yak. Will def miss all the awesome people that I met. Convenient location, very clean, and mix of party-relax atmosphere.,,

Great communal courtyard area! Bathroom was super hot and smelled less than awesome, but everything else was great.

• 3rd Aug 2014

Cheap and cheerful hostel. A bit shabby chic and rough round the edges. reception staff are lovely but cleaning staff like to barge in at 8 in the morning and turn on the light (not ideal after a night out). Also air con only on from 10pm - 11am. But good location and some fun activities (we had a mojito making class... Unlimited mojitos for an hour for 45 pesos... Cant complain). Good kitchen and common area. Overall good value for money.

The Yak is spot on as a hostel. Gave it good - excellent for everything but facilities. The only thing holding them back was the fact they were in the middle of building a bar. Once that is done it deserves well over 90%. Staff work really hard to make you feel welcome, loads of people to socialise with and you're right by the night life and beach. Would definitely go back. Well done Yak! Jack and Travis

The Yak has all the basics of a hostel, excellent location, AC bedrooms with comfortable beds, 2 kitchens, plenty of washrooms and the place is well kept and clean by any standard. The staff is the friendliest and most helpful I've ever met, they keep a nice atmosphere and make sure travelers are comfortable and enjoy the place. The staff organizes daily activities (dinners, excursions, etc) for everybody to socialize and enjoy PDC on a budget. I liked the place so much I've been back already!

• 23rd Jul 2014
  • Mexico

Yakity yak - we'll come back! We stayed in this hostel for 4 nights and wished we could stay longer! The rooms are big and clean, the staff are really friendly and helpful and the general vibe is just awesome. I definatley recommend staying here for anyone travelling through playa del carmen, you won't regret it! I'll be back for sure.

Definitely a place for young adults. Peaceful in the day, chill with some great atmosphere , people

the best hostel all the staff was awesome and it had a lovely welcoming vibe. i highly recommend it and its so close to everything

The Yak was excellent - the location was perfect, the rooms were big and clean, the staff was nice and helpful, and the vibe was great. One of the best hostels of our trip.

Amazing mattresses! Big dorm room and lockers. Great helpful staff. Lots of activities and fun atmosphere. Perfect location close to everything! Definitely recommend.

The Yak is an incredible hostel. The staff are amazing and Steph makes the best mojito known to mankind. The atmosphere of this hostel and the people who occupy it made playa our favourite destination of the entire trip, and we all agreed we would have to return soon. Unfortunately we never had a chance to try the breakfast, thanks to some pretty unforgettable nights. Thank you so much for such a great time :)

• 25th Jun 2014

Really fun hostel to stay at, really lively and the staff are a great laugh. Would recommend highly to anyone wanting a place to stay in playa del carmen

View all Playa del Carmen Hostels