The Yak Reviews

Calle 10 Norte Bis, entre Av. 10 y Av. 15, Playa del Carmen, Mexico

One of the best hostels I've ever stayed at (and I've been to quite a few). It had great atmosphere, activities planned for each day and awesome staff. I extended my stay in Playa just because of this place. Would definitely come back!!

We booked an "apartment" with 2 bedrooms only to find a big room with 2 double bedrooms with a small separator between the beds. The smell of drainage coming out of the shower was horrendous. The receptionist told us that it was a common problem through all of Mexico, however, we encountered this only here from 2 other place we stayed in Mexico.

Was clean, secure and staff friendly. People who stayed there did most of their partying outside the walls of the hostel so I always got a good nights sleep. Minor point but would have been nice if they'd had a computer on site for guest use as didn't have a laptop or tablet on me. Would highly recommend.

Very friendly staff close to beach and main facilities

Location can’t be beat! Minutes away from ADO bus station, beach, restaurants and bars. The staff hare very friendly and attentive! Special mention Jovanna who calls everybody by first name! The 4-bed room was very clean, with comfy mattress and with its own toilet! There's also kitchen in each floor. The courtyard serves as a social place and makes it easy to meet and make friends. I left PDC with fond memories. I highly recommend The Yak!

• 1st Mar 2014

Perfect hostel, perfect staff and perfect hosts! We had so much fun and will come back for sure:) rooms are clean and beds comfortable! Nothing to complain about :)

Wicked atmosphere !

Great location and excellent value for money...very friendly staff....FYI blonde girl that works there is pretty hot....

• 26th Feb 2014

The location is amazing, the staff is great, the atmosphere is pretty cool. They clean the place all the time, but there was so many guests that it was imposible to make it clean. It's the best option if you are looking for party all the nights. The price was a bit high. You can pay less if you walk 4 blocks away from the 5th Ave. But in a overall, I recommend the place.

so much fun!!!!!! the staff was so kind, and helpful they really made my stay in playa ! there is always something fun going on, always new people to meet. the beds were really comfy , NO BED BUGS! it was such a refreshing change :) definitely will be coming back ! see u there :)

• 15th Feb 2014
  • Israel

Well designed, good kitchen, big communal area, activities every night, sturdy bunks, plenty of bathrooms, comfortable beds. Their was way too many hombres and not enough chicas at this place whilst I was there. Total dude ranch. I hooked up with zero women whilst at this hostel.

Very good hostel, and good staff The location coudnt be better! Is awesome.

14 perfect days at the Hostel! Every Day cleaning, cheap prices, Cool activities and super friendly stuff!!! Next Time again!

• 11th Feb 2014

Definitely in my top 3 hostels I've ever stayed in. I felt at home & didn't want to leave. Cheers to Joanna, Leo, Adrian & the rest of the crew for making me feel welcome! Hopefully I will be back

• 2nd Feb 2014

One of the cleanest and most inviting hostels I have ever visited. The staff are such fun (especially Joanna), breakfast is hearty, every day/night there is a new activity to participate in (pizza/mojito making, swimming with turtles ect). Great vibe, definitely stay here!!!!!

Nice hostel, great location, friendly staff. The outdoor common area is a bit run down but good for meeting people. The private rooms are excellent!!

A very nice hostel- close enough to the beach, a 5-10 minute walk. Good party atmosphere on most evenings. Clean with plenty of bathrooms and good showers. Staff were cool and helpful. I'd stay here again.

Cool staff. Great location. Was there right after bpm so was little dead. But still great hostel.

Had a great time will go back as soon as possible

• 12th Jan 2014

Pros: Friendly staff, handy location, clean, good breakfast, 24hr reception/security. Cons: A bit expensive for a hostel (to be expected in Playa), no hot water. I chose the Yak due to its high rating and during my stay the hostel was organised, friendly and overall one of the better hostels going around. There are always areas to improve (see cons above) but these are common complaints in other hostels too. Highly recommend.

View all Playa del Carmen Hostels