The Yellow Reviews

Via Palestro 49, Rome, Italy

Our stay at the Yellow Hostel was good but not exceptional. The wifi was pretty weak in our room (D32) and for the price we paid there wasn't a whole lot included. That being said, the AC was a lifesaver and the lockers/safes were really nice. There were many nice restaurants nearby and the proximity to the train station was awesome.

Special shout out to Mike! He knows how to keep the customers happy ;)

• 7th Jul 2015

No A/C as promised and when I checked in I was told there would be fans added to the room, which never happened. I left a night early even after paying because my experience was so bad.

Good hostel, staff were really helpful if you need advice on how to get around, bar is fun and serves a good breakfast! Also perfect location for the train station

Stayed 2 nights in 4 person all-female room. Arrived around 8am & stored luggage in reception. Paid for room with credit card & tourist accommodation tax with cash and was off to Vat City. Didn't come back until 10pm and I was super tired from a day of exploring after getting off the plane to realise the air-con wasn't working! Only 1 fan so room was v stuffy. Sleeping on the top bunk meant waking up sweating. Told staff & they offered me breakfast voucher but no air-con in summer = the worst!

Aircon didn't work in our room. Crazy hot. Lady at the concierge desk was rude and unhelpful. Always on Facebook on her computer. Location is far from sites, but near train station. Good wifi. Very nice safe electronic boxes. Great bar and atmosphere.

There was a robbery the first night I stayed there which set the the tone for the rest of the stay. I felt uncomfortable and unsafe, which kept me in the dorm for a long time, keeping me away from the city since I was worried about the minimal security. The bathrooms were somewhat clean at certain times during the day but not for the most part. Because the summer staff is a group of very young people, they couldn't be bothered w questions. The attitude was heavy & they didn't really care.

I was pleasently surprised. I had seen a few worrying reviews prior to my arrival, however i found the staff to be very pleasant and helpful and my bedroom was very clean. Towards the end of the nights the bathroom would get pretty nasty but by the time i woke up they were very clean. Aircon in the room was amazing. Safety deposit boxes in room. Yellow bar was incredibly fun. Overall a very good experience. Highly reccomended.

• 4th Jul 2015

Proper party hostel which is what I wanted. However not at the price. The bar was a good backpacker bar. The aircon-is not brand new & it doesn't work! Everyone in my room complained, but I went one step further and left. I did get a refund though, like I should, which is good. The bar food was good, expensive even for Rome. The walking tours were good, as was all the info about things to do. Sadly, my lasting memory will be sewage coming up through the dancefloor! Classy

I had a wonderful stay at the Yellow. It's great for people travelling alone or groups of people who are looking to meet new people and have fun. The staff at the Yellow are wonderful, helpful and friendly. Leslie gave gave me lots great advice on where to go in Italy and even helped me to organise my trip. Kevin is by far the best tour guide I have ever had. In his tour 'In the Dark' he brought history and architecture to life through interesting and animated anecdotes.

+ > Air con was good in the room > Beds were comfy > good secure safes & underbed lockers > rooms spacious - > Pictures are not accurate reflections of rooms > cleanliness of bathroom was poor; always hair in showers, toilets didn't flush. > Staff unhelpful & rude; caught swearing to guest > could get into room in day with no key; through open front door, then floor 5 bathroom into bedroom as door to balcony didn't lock. Overall we have stayed in more sociable/comfortable hostels.

So we had a lot of people telling us the Yellow was the place to be. We booked a month in advance, and paid for a deluxe twin private room with an ensuite. Honestly, for €103 per night, we were excited to have a nice room. This was not the case. We were in room B10- The room was unacceptably small, no proper window, no wifi, no storage, and the shower was broken! We were also woken by building works outside. Flase advertising.When we approached the staff they were no help at all. What a shame.

Quite far from the tursitic atractions but there a metro stop around the corner

Heard a lot about this being a huge party hostel. The bar is usually pretty busy but not my choice for a proper "night out." Facilities were great but the bar atmosphere didn't really make it super easy to meet people. Not sure if there was a common area, but if so, I'd start there to try and socialize. Bc they have their own bar and restaurant, they don't have a kitchen or a proper pub crawl, which would be nice to check out some other spots in Rome, especially if you're traveling solo.

Bathrooms needed to be cleaned more frequently. There was grime and hair all over the shower and the bathroom floor was wet during my stay. Also the bathroom towel looked like it had been there for a week.

Real cool joint, great for single travellers. Would stay again in the future.

• 1st Jul 2015

The cleanliness of the bathroom was questionable. There was black dirt in the shower and looked like it hadn't been cleaned properly in weeks. Security was fine apart from confirming my identity when i needed a new room key. I was not asked to state my name when i asked for a replacement card. That was the major security issue. The bar downstairs does a great breakfast and great value for money

Second time staying at the Yellow: it's definitely a party-oriented hostel, so if that's not what you're into you can for sure found other great hostels. Rooms are good, a little stuffy in the summer but you have AC which is amazing, beds are spacious. Zero mirrors in the girls' dorms which is kindof annoying when everyone's trying to get ready in the one bathroom. Checkin took incredibly long (for everyone, we asked others too), so try arriving at like 4pm to avoid the checkin-traffic-jam.

Amazing hostel - rooms were gorgeous and clean and staff were really helpful. Right by the train station, it's easy to get to everywhere you want

• 28th Jun 2015

An absolute party hostel. Be prepared to use restrooms strewn with puke though.