This Old Place International Youth Hostel Reviews

No.2 Yiwu Road, Guilin, China

The best hostel in guilin and xingping!

• 30th Sep 2013

The hostel itself was very nice, clean, and what you would expect. The staff however were very unorganized, and failed completely with providing transportation from the airport to the LongJi Terrance's, all of which had been previously arranged and paid for before ever arriving in Guilin. This made for a terrible first day of our trip, as we spent the day arguing over money and how we could cut the rest of our trip short in order to do what we had been guaranteed to do for that day.

So sorry for the convenience! We have sent you a email ask about the flight number and arrive time. But we haven't received your reply until 0:57AM, we cannot arrange that for you at that late time! Welcome to Guilin next time, have a nice trip then!

Would definitely recommend this hostel! If you get a chance, try one of the wood oven pizzas. So yum.

This Old Place was amazing, it really had a nice vibe to it, and is located in the central area of Guilin City so is walking distance to many things. I would recommend it if you are the type of traveller who goes to places NOT just to party and get drunk but there's a happy hour so it's all good if you are aswell ^_^. There's a range of different characters at this place.

Good place to stay. Best of all: The old concierge! a very good old man, who keeps the values of generations gone. The personnel gave us the impression of being too eager to get money. The rate for the room was incredibly low, I guess, they compensate with everything service they can get their hands on: Taxis, tickets, tours, etc.

Very helpful friendly staff. Clean. Excellent shower!

• 21st Sep 2013
  • Scotland

We had a double ensuite. The bed was the most comfortable we had in China. The staff was not to most fluent in English, but were extremely friendly and helpful. They helped us locate rides to places we needed/wanted to be. Even our rainy days were enjoyable due to the easily formed friendships. We highly recommend This Old Place for your stay in Guilin.

Staying at this hostel was amazing, the staff were very helpful and had a great knowledge of Guilin. They could speak good English and accommodated us best as possible. I stayed in a 4 bed mixed dorm and on the first night we had the room to ourselves which was air-conditioned. The toilets and facilities were very clean and new. On the last day, the staff allowed me to pay for the cheapest room available to enable me to use the shower after checking out which was a nice touch.

This was SUCH a nice hostel. It doesn't have the busy atmosphere like in other backpacker hostel, but we reckon this was down to the season we visited rather than the rule. Bathroom in double was incredible: really beautiful. Gigantic pizza oven was a little random in a good way. Staff helpful but when we organised a tour through them to the rice fields they gave us and four others a driver who didn't speak English which made the trip extra difficult. Otherwise, majorly recommend.

One lady at the reception was snappish, what is a shame when it is your first contact in a new city. Everybody else was very kind and helpful. We made a trip to the rice terrace with them which was poorly organized. The driver could not speak English. On the hike the signposting stopped suddenly. Either they should explain in 2 minutes the procedure before start or they should provide a little map.

I had an enjoyable stay here and would return/recommend to others. It's a fantastic hostel with a great location by the waterfront and a pleasant stroll from the pedestrianised (food) area. However, it's a little tricky for getting to the bus/train station. The staff were very friendly and helpful, but I think I their information on how to get to the rice terraces by public bus was a little off-target (I'm not sure the bus I was told to catch exists...) Overall, a great place - thanks :)

Brilliant place. The dorm was spacious and a free locker for a full sized rucksack was provided. Bedding was very clean as were the showers and toilets. Free internet worked and they were very helpful on reception booking my Li River transfer to Yangshuo. It's a lovely location and plenty of opportunity for an evening walk to the night market or around the lakes. I felt safe as a lone female traveller. All in all I would recommend this place to friends.

This hostel is great and I will recommend it to everybody who wants to go to Guillin. The staff is very nice, helpful and patient. The rooms are good, clean and there is a very nice atmosphere. In addition to that they have a sister hostel in Xingping, a little village near by Guillin and I could say the same about this hostel! VERY NICE!

• 26th Aug 2013

stayed in the 4bed dorm - clean with new lockers. nice common area. best bathrooms i had :)

The staff of this hostel is amazing, they are very helpfull (treintickets, tours, post etc.) and their english is quiet good. They have homemade pizza's, which are the best we've eaten in China and the location is great to walk around in Guilin.

The staff was very friendly and helped zus with the booking of the tours

This hostel is pretty much perfect, everything, wifi, showers, etc, also their pizzas are very good! If anything, the directions to get there are not perfect, I got lost following the instructions, heavy backpack, under the rain, no one new the street, not even two taxi drivers. Once at Yangqiao bus stop and crossing the street you have to walk north for a few minutes to find the street they mention. It is a few minutes walk from transportation, but it is a beautiful location.

very nice hostel!!!!!!

Our stay at this hostel was simply great. The hostel is very well located (in front of a lake), close to the train station going to Yangshuo, close to the promenade area... The rooms were clean and from the roof terrace you have incredible views. The atmosphere was very good, thanks to the way staff treats travellers (more like a family). All members of the staff always had a smile on their face, and they helped us as much as they could. Only negative comment: more toilet paper would be welcome.

Thanks a lot for your kindly words, we are so glad that you have nice time during stay here, welcome to come back if you visit Chian again.

I stayed in a single bed in a dorm, which was very comfy. Good location in Guilin, an easy walk to the main centre. Only spent a night here, but it was very suitable.