Toco Tokyo Heritage Hostel Reviews

2-13-21 Shitaya Taitouku, Tokyo, Japan

We had a great time staying at Toco. We arrived late after travelling all day. And it was so nice to be able to get a delicous meal without having to move another step. Breakfast was also fabulous. Staff were very friendly and helpful and the atmosphere was great. It was a very good way to start our Japan adventure.

Great value for money, the staff were extremely approachable and showed me tips around the neighborhood. Atmosphere was simply amazing, both the locals and guests were friendly. Location was wonderful as well, really close to the subway station. Overall, a terrific experience. Would stay here again in the future.

• 28th Dec 2015
  • thatredsky
  • Singapore

Great character and an authentic Japanese experience. Highly recommend for anyone wanting to see the real Japan and not hide in a room with a tv!!!

• 27th Dec 2015
  • New Zealand
  • All Male Group, 25-30

I felt like being home, and when travelling solo this is glorious! Cosy, clean, warm... perfect place to stay with awesome staff!!

Had a great stay!! Staff are very friendly and eager to help with directions and it is very clean. Close to iriya station, lovely cafes and fruit store down the road :)

The staff were lovely, with excellent English. The living room is also a bar in the evening (first drink free on arrival to the hostel!), with reasonably priced drinks. A great place to meet the locals from Asakusa.

Beautiful hostel and nice people:)

Great place to stay. Perfect location, staff, atmosphère ...

• 4th Nov 2015

Great hostel with lovely staff in a nice and quite area of Tokyo. It's well communicated via train and metro to the main areas, and Asakusa and Ueno are just a nice walk away. The bar at the reception is a very nice place to meet other travelers and relax after a the day. The only issue is the limited number of showers, it can get a bit crowded in the morning.

• 30th Oct 2015
  • Spain

This hostel was everything we expected plus more. We came for the traditional accommodation and also enjoyed the friendly atmosphere and delicious breakfast. The dorm room did get a little hot but there was aircon. It may be quite hot in summer though.

Lovely hostel, set in an old traditional Japanese house made of wood, with a small garden. Great environment, the staff is great. Also you get a free drink every night. Location is convenient for public transport: 2min to subway station, 10min to JR Yamanote line station. It is a little bit far from Shinjuku/Shibuya area (about 45 minutes) where I used to go out at night, but Tokyo is huge, so I guess it just depend on the areas that you want to be nearby.

The place looks awesome! Great Japanese experience; feels like sleeping in a temple (+ the bar) The building is old so it's really noisy: cracking floors, you can hear everybody in all rooms at all time, etc. I recommend bringing earplugs. Avoid this hostel if you're a light sleeper. Otherwise, enjoy!

Knowledgable friendly staff in a great location

Toco is one of the best hostels I've ever stayed in! The brilliant staff manages to create a really nice homely atmosphere and you feel like part of the toco family within 1 or 2 days. The cozy bar is a great mix of locals and backpackers every night. Add in the beautiful old Japanese house it is housed in, and the nice neighbourhood and good travel links, and you can't go wrong here. If I'd have to nag about something, it would be the small number of showers (2 for 27 people).

Warm and Welcoming. Its a great mix of a rustic bar/lobby and traditional Japanese house, all in the back garden of a Shinto shrine. The staff were always smiling and helpful, making you feel like part of a family. Met some amazing people from around the world at the bar, both staying in the hostel and living in Tokyo. Just Fantastic.

Loved the place. Good experience of staying in a traditional Japanese house with a lovely garden in a middle of Tokyo. I got a free welcome drink in a bar which I was able to pick from the list that had cocktails as well. Staff was very friendly and helpful. I had a lovely chat with all of them. My room was in a second floor where windows were facing the garden. I would of loved it to stay longer.

Thank you so much. I had a really great time at the toco hostel, which is one of the best hostel I've ever stayed. I also work for a hostel at Jiufen, New Taipei City. The surrounding of the hostel I work for and the toco hostel is very similar, and you guys inspired me a lots. Thank you for giving me such a great experience.

This place is great when you like to be in a constant quiz show, as the staff seems to be in a kind of communication training. This seems kind of fun in the beginning, but gets annoying fast. The room on the ground floor is directly at the entrance, so the loud noise from the bar can be heard clearly, and everybody around can look right into the room. The staff makes the most noise in the house There are other places to stay in the middle of Tokyo for the same price much less annoying.

• 18th Sep 2015

Dear Michael, Thank you for taking the time to review us. We are sorry that you were not able to enjoy your time at toco. We apologize if our staff caused you any discomfort during your stay with us. We hope you are enjoying the rest of your travels across Japan.

One of the best hostel I've had the pleasure of staying at. Staff were amazingly accommodating and fun. Wished we had stayed longer to get to know them all.

In a old house,very trendy feel... Although there is no elevator, the staff is very helpful... Breakfast is very good,thanks It's a popular hostel, love to stayagain