Toco Tokyo Heritage Hostel Reviews

2-13-21 Shitaya Taitouku, Tokyo, Japan

Best Hostel I have ever been!!

The only hostel with a discrimnation policy based on my experieices from staying at several hundreds of hostels, ins, minshukus, temples and ryokans during my 16+ years in Japan. During check-in, staff told me in polite Japanese that guests will get chocked and feel very unconfortalbe because of my appearance and that I cannot stay in the 6 bed dorm that I had booked. I am a genunie, well mannered lady, but was treated as a male freak. I left the hostel 1 am to spend the night at a 24h cafee.

We are sorry and would like to deeply apologize again for the unpleasant experience you had here. Even though we showed you to a bed in the female dormitory as per your reservation, because of the bad experience upon check-in unfortunately you checked-out late at night. This was not our intention, and we were worried about you. We fully acknowledge your comments and rating.we would like to offer our deepest apologies for the unfavorable experience you had.

I stayed in four hostels in Japan and this one is my favorite. The rooms have a traditional feel, and the views of the pond from the rooms are just gorgeous. I like that the hostel is not too big, making it easier to get to know your fellow travelers. I didn't get to go to the bar at night but I did enjoy the traditional Japanese breakfast the staff made for us guests, I highly recommend it. I had a very wonderful stay here!

I really enjoyed my stay at this hostel. The atmosphere of a Japanese traditional house is super nice, considering it's just in the middle of the city. Location is pretty good - close to metro and JR line but not in the middle of the city - Shinjuku, Harajuku and Shibuya are about 40 min away. Nice facilities and nice staff. Too bad there are only 2 showers. However, very clean and convenient hostel. Would definitely stay there again.

It was the best hostel I have stay in Japan! Superb atmosphere and great staff! They makes all guests feel connected like a family! Like their breakfast too which is great with only 300 yen spent! Also love the bar that allows us to connect with the locals! Feeling a lot of energy here! The only bad thing is it takes 10 minutes to walk from Uguisudani Station but everything else is awesome! Simply the best!

The pictures and reviews of this place are no lie! This place was drop dead gorgeous and extremely easy to get to by the subway (Hibiya Line). The map they provide on their website was perfect and led me to find the place with ease. The staff was very attentive, nice, and extremely friendly. The bar always had friendly people in it and was a great place to socialize. The rooms were the perfect value and the entire house was simply beautiful. I cannot recommend this place enough!!

• 11th Sep 2014

Toco is a very nice and place to stay! The staff (mainly Japanese) is extremely friendly and helpful and in the bar it is also possible to get to know some locals, who like to come there. The location is also very near to the public transport, onsen, convenient store and the Asakusa and Ueno park.

I enjoyed my stay in toco heritage hostel. The staffs there are wonderful, they are all so friendly and helpful! It's located near the subway station so it's so easy to get to almost everywhere. Facilities are great too. I will come back again if I visit Tokyo again in the future :)

One of the best hostel i've stayed at in Japan and definitely the best in Tokyo ! This old house has a unique atmosphere, the staff is very friendly and the bar is a nice place to hang out and meet other travelers and locals. I wished I could have stayed longer and will surely be back.

Absolutely beautiful, would recommend and would stay there again.

This is a historical guest house located in Iriya, 5 minutes north of Ueno. The garden there was beautiful. What really makes this place is the very friendly staff, always there to greet and always there to say "ja mata atode".

Beautiful hostel in a traditional Japanese building, with small but very pleasant gardens. The front/lounge area is small, but very cozy, and easy to meet fellow travellers and the locals who also go there for drinks. Tasty breakfast (for a small charge), good facilities and very friendly and helpful staff (thankyou!). The local area is very nice, though quiet, with good cafes, eating and drinking places and a couple of bathhouses and a metro station very nearby. Hope to stay here next time!

Excellent and helpful staff. The place had an extremely friendly atmosphere. Highly recommended. It was sad to leave!

• 31st Jul 2014

The atmosphere in the hostel is amazing. A true local experience in the big city.

This is an awesome hostel, very helpful and friendly stuffs. The only negative thing i would say is the sound isolation, if you are a light sleeper you may need to sleep after 11 and wake up around 7. Anyway i would strongly recommend this hostel

It would be nice if the staff could mention to the guests to try to keep their voices down, especially late at night and early morning, since it's an old traditional house and you can literally hear everything from the other rooms, corridors, showers, kitchen, etc. Otherwise, I have no complaints! I always enjoy staying at Toco, the staff are wonderful, the location is great, and the hostel is clean and beautiful.

Lovely guesthouse in a beautiful heritage building. Very clean, lovely decor and atmosphere, staff are sweet. I stayed in the second floor female dorm. Walls are thin so it's easy to hear people in other rooms (including downstairs). Common area converted to bar is a great idea. Hostel holds interesting/tasty events periodically. Not many major attractions in the immediate neighborhood, but it's near a subway stop. Closest major area is Ueno. Overall, a great place to stay in Tokyo!

My friend and I stayed here for three nights and we had a great time! The traditional building was very unique, and while space was limited, there was not a single amenity that had been overlooked, from working wifi, hairdryers, warm showers etc. The staff were the best part of our stay at Toco. From first thing in the morning until last call in the bar at night, they effortlessly created a family environment within the hostel by encouraging guests to meet for breakfast or join them for a drink.

Staff were great, really made an effort to welcome me, show me around, and even learned my name! This hostel is perfect if you're looking to experience more traditional Japanese living, especially with the garden on the side. In a quieter area of Tokyo, perfect place to stay if you're looking to relax a bit more.

One of the best hostels I have ever stayed in. Very close to the metro, comfortable bedding, amazing ambience and traditional decor, but what makes this hostel amazing are the people. The free drink every night encourages gathers everyone at the cozy bar - locals and travellers alike - for a great social atmosphere. The staff are phenomenal - 6 out of 5 stars! They go above and beyond to help you whenever possible, and are exceedingly friendly. I will stay here again 10,000% if I'm in Tokyo.

« first « Prev 1 2 3