Toco Tokyo Heritage Hostel Reviews

2-13-21 Shitaya Taitouku, Tokyo, Japan

Beautiful hostel in a traditional Japanese building, with small but very pleasant gardens. The front/lounge area is small, but very cozy, and easy to meet fellow travellers and the locals who also go there for drinks. Tasty breakfast (for a small charge), good facilities and very friendly and helpful staff (thankyou!). The local area is very nice, though quiet, with good cafes, eating and drinking places and a couple of bathhouses and a metro station very nearby. Hope to stay here next time!

Excellent and helpful staff. The place had an extremely friendly atmosphere. Highly recommended. It was sad to leave!

• 31st Jul 2014

The atmosphere in the hostel is amazing. A true local experience in the big city.

This is an awesome hostel, very helpful and friendly stuffs. The only negative thing i would say is the sound isolation, if you are a light sleeper you may need to sleep after 11 and wake up around 7. Anyway i would strongly recommend this hostel

It would be nice if the staff could mention to the guests to try to keep their voices down, especially late at night and early morning, since it's an old traditional house and you can literally hear everything from the other rooms, corridors, showers, kitchen, etc. Otherwise, I have no complaints! I always enjoy staying at Toco, the staff are wonderful, the location is great, and the hostel is clean and beautiful.

Lovely guesthouse in a beautiful heritage building. Very clean, lovely decor and atmosphere, staff are sweet. I stayed in the second floor female dorm. Walls are thin so it's easy to hear people in other rooms (including downstairs). Common area converted to bar is a great idea. Hostel holds interesting/tasty events periodically. Not many major attractions in the immediate neighborhood, but it's near a subway stop. Closest major area is Ueno. Overall, a great place to stay in Tokyo!

My friend and I stayed here for three nights and we had a great time! The traditional building was very unique, and while space was limited, there was not a single amenity that had been overlooked, from working wifi, hairdryers, warm showers etc. The staff were the best part of our stay at Toco. From first thing in the morning until last call in the bar at night, they effortlessly created a family environment within the hostel by encouraging guests to meet for breakfast or join them for a drink.

Staff were great, really made an effort to welcome me, show me around, and even learned my name! This hostel is perfect if you're looking to experience more traditional Japanese living, especially with the garden on the side. In a quieter area of Tokyo, perfect place to stay if you're looking to relax a bit more.

One of the best hostels I have ever stayed in. Very close to the metro, comfortable bedding, amazing ambience and traditional decor, but what makes this hostel amazing are the people. The free drink every night encourages gathers everyone at the cozy bar - locals and travellers alike - for a great social atmosphere. The staff are phenomenal - 6 out of 5 stars! They go above and beyond to help you whenever possible, and are exceedingly friendly. I will stay here again 10,000% if I'm in Tokyo.

I've stayed in several hostels and this is definitely one of my favorites. The house that the hostel is in is a beautiful traditional Japanese house with a garden that makes you forget you are in the middle of Tokyo. The staff were able to answer all of the questions I had and were extremely helpful, plus they gave a full tour and background of the hostel when I got there. It's hard to say how much I enjoyed this hostel, but I would highly recommend staying here at least one night in Tokyo.

Really beautiful hostel, staff were lovely. Only downside was that walls of the rooms were made of paper sliding doors to other rooms, so you can hear everything in the other rooms, and no locks on the doors. Fine as long as you're not a light sleeper.

• 2nd Jul 2014

Just excellent! Might be the best hostel I've ever stayed in. Breakfast was just ¥300 and amazingly filling. After three nights, I was so sad to leave because I felt like I really got to know the staff. The setup is really fantastic for meeting new people-- especially since every guest gets a free drink each night, and many locals come by to hang out.

The staff were very friendly and cheerful. I like how traditional the setup of the hostel is. The thin-ness of the walls can be a problem, though, as the there is a tendency to hear the people from the other room, even if they are just whispering. Overall, I enjoyed my stay in this hostel.

Amazing hostel!!! As if the old style japanese traditional building wasnt enough, they also have the kindest staff I;ve ever met.

Toco is fantastic!!! The arch is wonderful!! Staying in toco just make me feel like I'm staying in somewhere from the the comic book or japanese film. and the traditional japanese garden is so beautiful!!! But true, it is noisy, and resident there seems not that will to talk~~ Although staff are all nice!

My reservation was lost. :(

• 21st Jun 2014

The staff was really friendly and they helped me out to organize my things! You could order breakfast(2riceball with soup) for 300 Yen which is cheap. The room was nice and clean but it is an old building so the walls are thin and you can hear everything from the hole floor which was in the morning really frustrating(6am). And it is hard to find the right location at the first day so i had to ask people on the street to help me out. It toke me over 1h to find it.

Don't go if you want to sleep, really noisy.

The staff were delightful! So friendly and spoke perfect English. Definitely sign up for breakfast, it was so so tasty and cheap at only 300 yen. The location could have been better but the hostel itself was amazing. We slept in a 100 year old traditional glass/wooden house and the main reception area was gorgeous.

The hostel was absolutely beautiful and the staff were wonderfully friendly. They really made you feel at home. The location wasn't super convenient, but the beautiful garden behind the hostel easily made up for this.