Tofu Cafe Beds & Bikes Reviews

484, Lebuh Pantai (Beach Street), George Town, Penang, Malaysia

Nice quiet and cosy hostel; great for travellers who rather like a more home-y place to stay and not crowded place. Really like the bed styles - capsule-like beds with individual partition and curtains for privacy and also means no mozzies!

I have stayed in many hostels around the world and I must say the at Tofu was one of the few best I have ever been. Great owners, Joyce and Lucas.

• 25th Jul 2014
  • Singapore

I stayed in the Ladies Room and it was lovely, only 4 beds with our own pods and lockers. It's really well set up and the hosts really care about their guests, Penang heritage and eco-tourism. I got a free bike rental cause I stayed 3 nights - perfect for seeing the artwork and alleyways of Georgetown.

Very nice staff!

I stayed at the hostel for 3 nights in June and I must say the hostel is brilliant. First it looks good, second it is clean, real clean. The dormitory is kind of cool, it is designed with individual cabins, which gives you good private place. The dorm has an AC and even if you don’t like AC believe me you need it at this humidity and temperatures. The owner Lukas is a very nice guy. He is passionate about what he is doing, he is going to be a big help for you.

Tofu is a small and quiet hostel. It's very close to Komtar bus terminal and shopping mall, which is really convenient for shopping, reliable currency exchange, and getting around. It's also close to Lebuh Kimberly, where you can enjoy a variety of foods starting around 6pm. The staff are very friendly and helpful. They gave me a set of maps/pamphlets when I checked in, which was nice, although I didn't use most of them due to my short stay. There's free breakfast and Wi-fi as well.

Really love this hostel! Pods are so comfortable and private. The common area / cafe is full of books and photographs. They provide a really well curated map showing the best food, etc. Always provide such helpful advice. So friendly, they know everybody's names and are happy to chat with guests. Get to know Lucas and Joyce! They are awesome people and embody everything that makes Georgetown so vibrant. Part of the new art / cafe scene but also fighting to keep old traditions alive and known.

A fantastic, friendly and peaceful hostel. Wonderful and knowledgeable hosts who help you to get the most out of your trip to lovely Penang. I've never stayed in such a clean hostel and was very sad to leave. The pods are spacious and very comfortable and it's easy to meet others. The location is brilliant for Georgetown and bus connections and the ferry are very close so you can get all over the island easily. Close to great plases to eat. A fantastic four days in Penang.