Tokyo Sumidagawa Youth Hostel Reviews

2-21-4, Yanagibashi, Taito-ku, Tokyo, Japan

A few things: - please also state that the common room is not accessible 24/7; - same goes for the showers - if you say '5 person shared room', i expect it to be one goddamn room and not a room with two doors and a veil inbetween to 'separate' the rooms. - I am not 12 nor stupid. I do not want an evening clock. Would not go here again based on facilities and possibilities alone. Nothing bad about the staff.

the staff lack of local transport or sightseeing knowledge even just within the tokyo city. i am not sure it is the culture that Japanese seldom go out?

The most negative point is that they lock you out of the hostel from midnight to 6 in the morning and out of the rooms between 10 and 4. But even if this fact wouldn't be there, it still won't become my favourite hostel because it has too much 70's style for me.

I liked the curfew idea, no noisy people coming to the room in the middle of the night!

The facilities are old although they are somewhat clean. There is no elevator, which makes it hard to carry a suitcase. In addition, I could not believe that this hostel had a curfew. It closes at 12:00am and reopen at 6:00am. I feel that the hostel should change the door lock and open 24 hours for people who are staying. Now there is only one wire around the doors. I think that the security is weak.

• 25th Jul 2014
  • Japan

A great place to stay if you don't mind the curfew hours. The staff were nice and helpful and it's a good hostel to meet other people travelling Tokyo

Overall it's not terrible but try to go elsewhere if you can. I was only there as last resort. - staff weren't mean but not welcoming at all - dorm rooms are way too small, not really enough space to walk in - very difficult to sleep in the dorms as the walls are are literally paper thin and you can here everything even from several floors down - only 2 showers and really restrictive rules about what time you can use them - not enough privacy - no internet In rooms and no power plugs

Nice, functional hostel, was just there overnite. Has a curfew, which doesn't work for me on a big city.

Good: near to Asakusabashi JR station (one station away from Akihabara) Bad: depressing rooms, noisy, couldn't sleep at all. One room is considerated 2 rooms (only separated by a screen). AWFUL: curfew at 1130pm. For the money you charge, the minimum is to have 1) someone at the desk during the night or 2) a key in the main door like ANY OTHER PLACE. Staying here was just depressing, the only fun i had was hating this place with everyone else who, like me, only stayed because no more choice

As far as hostels go in Japan, this was the most social I had stayed at! Met lots of fellow travellers and we all went out for drinks. Location is good, right near a JR station, but not particularly close to any major attractions. Asakusa temple is only a 20 minute walk away, however, and the frequency of trains in Tokyo makes getting around a breeze! Staff weren't particularly friendly, but they were very obliging. Most importantly, everything was clean.

The staff wasn't very friendly when I first arrived. Upon leaving, the gentleman was nice enough. I would recommend that the hostel invest in a door lock security system and not rely on a curfew. They would probably increase their business and get more bookings that weren't simply last minute desperate bookings (as they noted on their surveys).

Clean place and friendly staff, but watch out... They kick you out of the hostel between 10 and 4 daily. You can't even stay in the common area.

They have a curfew which is really lame (have to be in by 11:30pm or else can't get in until 6:30am). Very quite although people were very loud in the room during the morning. Have to pay to use computers and bathrooms reek of urine. Location is close to subway but far from nightlife. Right next door to Anne Hostel which I also stayed at and really liked. Only stayed here because I was booking night by night and they were full.

A good place to stay only if other hostels are full. There's not much atmosphere and the place is rather drab, but it is clean, the wifi connection good, and good kitchen facilities. Check out is very early at 10am and check-in very late at 4pm.

THe staff was courteous and professional. The place was clean and seem well runned.

• 14th Sep 2013
  • Jamaica

Im pretty sure this place is a homeless shelter and a youth hostel all at once. I wouldnt recomment staying here unless you dont mind a curfew and waking up early as they kick u out at 10am. I once missed my curfew by 15mins... luckily one staff member waited for me and let me in so I am grateful for that. I was on the 4th floor and slept on a tatami on the floor. Which was okay but the room smelled funky. In short. .. find another hostel. . Book this one if nothing else is left

So many senseless rule..., can't use the common room after breakfast or before lunch, the only computer only can be used in certain hours. Also cannot go out/in between 23:30 to 6:00, looks like a prison! The staff is very friendly and helpful. I've stayed in a bed right to the floor, very Japanese I guess.

Good hostel, a little bit far from the center, no so cheap like the others hostels but is a quite place and clean.

• 31st May 2013
  • Spain

The hours are a little restrictive, but that's ok. The kitchen and eating area is spacious which is good if you want to cook something. The lockers are also a good size.

• 24th May 2013

Price: Because of a holyday it was by far the most expensive hostel during our 3 week Japan-Trip. Room: The dorm between male (3rd floor) and female (4th floor) differs a lot. Female room was ok (3 bed dorm). The interior of the guys room (10 bed dorm) reminds one of a military hospital like in movies. Bath: Every level has toilets and sinks, but showers are only on the 1st floor. Other matters: curfew 11pm – 6am; time frame that you must vacate 10am-4pm We CANNOT recommend this hostel!

• 4th May 2013