Tokyo Village Reviews

243-247 Cleveland Street, Surry Hills, Sydney, Australia

The amount of money they get per person per night, and the place is falling apart!

• 29th Jan 2016

Pros:good location, good tv room, free rice Cons:overpriced for what you get

• 8th Jan 2016

We only stayed one night in a twin private, so I cant say much about the hostel, but we didnt have any complaints either. Seemed allright :-)

Really beautiful hostel with a courtyard. Breakfast is decent and there is free rice all day. The people working here are really friendly and the tv room is very sunny. Lots of stairs, but a central location and friendly people makes this a great place to stay. There are two bathrooms in the main building and the outdoor bathrooms are a bit far.

no running water!

• 10th Dec 2015
  • Czech Republic

Reading the reviews before coming and didnt know would it be good or not, but my stay was excellent! Extended my stay with two more nights and stayed four nights total in Tokyo Village. When arriving I got really good service and they were very helpful towards me. I got a cosy room with a balcony (!!), bed was a good and soft one. Two kitchens to use, a big garden for everyone. Only minus is the limited internet, but it is quite usual in Australia. Would definetly stay here again if in Sydney!

Nice, clean little hostel with pretty much everything you need/ want. Good outdoor area for sitting and laundry. Great location near central station. Very annoying that there is only 1 bathroom with 1 shower for every 20 people upstairs. Fortunately (for women) downstairs there is an all girls bathroom that was usually empty. Also, it is largely long-term people staying who aren't very welcoming or inclusive so if you are looking to meet people/ make friends this is not the place for you.

THE WORST HOSTEL IN SYDNEY! The unbelievably rude staff were shocking, wifi is 3 dollars for an hour and 15 dollars for 10 hours. Ridiculous! The room (triple deluxe room) was infested with cockroaches, cobwebs and a used condom stuck to the bunk! reception staff were shocking at customer service, I asked for an iron as I work and she literally just shrugged her shoulders and said someone has stolen it... Then get a new one ffs!! Ran out of the already expensive wifi codes too! VLA IS NICER

• 22nd Nov 2015

It was The Last hostel at hostelword what I have found. Everything was full booked, so I thought that hostel might be not so good. I was just two nights there, and I would recommend this hostel. It's small and clean hostel. Stuff was really nice!! The hostel is like 7 minutes walk to the central station. The beds were clean and the rooms and bathrooms as well.

Close to City. Many resturants nearby

Tokyo Village "forgot" our booking. We booked and paid the deposit a month in advance, and we even emailed them the week before about an airport pickup on our check in date (they didn't reply). The woman on reception was new and it was not her fault, but the manager was difficult to get hold of, unhelpful and unsympathetic. We had to arrange alternative accommodation at the last minute (expensive!). They grudgingly gave us our deposit back. No assistance in finding another hostel. Avoid!!!!

• 24th Oct 2015
  • New Zealand

Overall a good stay with great staff. A couple criticisms-- the hostel world advert says breakfast included. It is not. The advert also says wifi included. It is included for 20 mins per device per day... Very limited. Aside from these advertising flaws, the bed was really sunken in and the bedding linens very very sad and worn looking.

• 22nd Oct 2015

staffs are so helpful and friendly. when i asked something not relating to the hostel, they answered kindly. thank you so much!

Also Charlie is very helpfull and Nice - the rest of the staff are not that efficient ... Such a shame this hostel has some caractere with tags and all - but it s more like a european place where whv people tend to stay. There is a home feeling tho and i liked it - but im not sure i would go back there - it is also super noisy ...

I really liked this hostel! One of the best. We got a double room, and they had even made the effort of putting in plastic flowers. Thumbs up! Kitchen areas are great, outdoor area is sweet as and there's a tv room that's real nice as well.