Tokyo Village Reviews

243-247 Cleveland Street, Surry Hills, Sydney, Australia

When we arrived, the receptionist had difficulties to find our booking and get things organized. The hostel itself was worn, unclean and moldy, yet our room was spacy enough. Also the location of the hostel is very good, just a short stroll to the center. Still would not recommend for anyone to stay, the mold itself is health hazard. Price-quality ratio is very poor.

The bathroom was never cleaned and the hot water never worked past a certain time.

Staff are great. Quite a party hostel. If you like partying you will be happy to put up with the hot noisy rooms.

Best hostel I've ever stayed in Australia so far. Nice staff and facilities. My friend and I were in a 10 female dorm but it was not full though. Everything's clean and handy. There's a rather big eating area where you can eat and talk to people. We were so lucky to meet a super friendly and cute elder lady who was so nice to plan a great three-day trip with least money for us when we were checking in. In all it's a hostel with history and order. Love it and strongly recommend it:)

Stressful organising a late arrival and check in details, however luckily many of the staff live there (and were around late at night). Great food/cutlery "box" system in the fridges. Breakfast provided is muesli and hot drinks. We had a car and the parking in the area was easy over a weekend, but would have been a nightmare midweek.

• 16th Jan 2015

Enjoyed the couple of nights I stayed. Rooms and bathroom better than other hostels I have stayed in. Not too close to places like Bondi beach or kings cross but train station 5 mins walk away with access to all of sydney

The wifi is not free and all the rules presented by the staff made my stay not remarkable.

20 minutes of WIFI are free per day . Our rules ensure that everyone can enjoy their stay not only those who do not wash their dishes, play loud music at all hours and do not care about any one else. I am sure you find plenty of hostels which are suitable for you !

It was a very friendly hostel that help working holiday makers find work. It felt more like a student house than a hostel with only 3/4 bathrooms which was annoying waking up needing the toilet and finding everyone is having a shower! The staff were really knowledgeable giving lots of info about places to eat or days out.

• 13th Jan 2015

Eh, it is a hostel in Australia. It's pricey and not super clean, but the people are friendly enough. At no point did I think the staff was bad, but I was just never sure what their particular influence was.

Bathrooms should be waaay cleaner. Cockroach in room was also a surprise guest. Pay extra fir wifi? EVERY hostel has wifi nowadays, free.

• 31st Dec 2014
  • Switzerland

Good place for working backpackers who also want to be able to go out and have fun. Free rice pretty much all day long, only thing is you can't lose any of your dishes that have been assigned to you!

I had a short stay, but it was definitly nicer than in one of those huge backpackers. It's located close to the central station. You get your own crockery and cutlery, so you have to take it every time you make a tea. You can have a small breakfast in the morning, which is a plus. The staff is nice and helpful. There is free Wi-Fi, but only 15min per day. If you need more, you have to pay a lot.

Sistemate le voci riguardanti i servizi forniti con informazioni più veritiere

• 11th Nov 2014

Needs a good clean and more bathrooms would be helpful BUT for the location and the price it was a good place to stay

Had a couple issues but it was relatively cheap and in a decent location. One thing - there is clear water damage in room 7... My bunk was the bottom one and the top bunk had a bucket and a towel. Not really a solution to the problem

I was not informed of reception's hours prior to arriving (so couldn't check-in) and had to leave my bags in the living room not a locked storage room. Compared to other hostel's around the world, this was pretty disappointing. The staff that served me seemed to be backpackers. Very forgetful - I had to go back to reception to be told to pay a key deposit and then back again, a 2nd time, to take down my towel number. Bathrooms are filthy but this is what you get. You have to pay for wifi!

Sorry about the inconvenience but a small hostel cannot offer the same service as a 200+ bed hostel but everyone knows everyone usually by name and this gives a security that you will not find in the more popular hostels around the world. And about the WIFI........you get 20 minutes free and it works fast....'free WIFI' usually is slow, full of restrictions etc,etc..................

I had a reservation for a 6 dorm. Those where to full according to the owner. I checked and thought: Yup you are right! Then he said, I have a 10 dorm for the same price. I checked, way more space! So I asked, I would like to have it, but can you then also guarantee that there are only 6 persons will stay at that room? He said, yes! But the same night on 11 pm it was packed with 8 persons. That was such a shame (and they were very loud). Also NO Free Wifi!! Not happy with the hostel!

There is free WIFI . However not unlimited in order to keep the copyright infringement folks happy ! And sorry that we tried to give you the best possible room that was available at the time. I should have put you in a spare bed in a six bed dorm where 5 guys lived happily for the past few weeks without mum washing their socks .........would that have made you happy ?

It was a good anc clean place. The main entrance door even had a security code which was nice. It was close to the city, close to central station so you could walk to it or even to the city. Staff was also pleasant and helpful. The room and bathromm was clean and has enough and suffcient furniture. Really liked it and recommend it.

I really enjoyed my stay in Tokyo Village. The hostel has a nice, relaxed and quiet atmosphere. The staff is exceptionally helping and interested in making your stay enjoyable. The hostel is equipped with all necessities, like plenty of fridge space, cooking utensils, good and warm showers and two computers with free internet access. There is a nice little backyard for hanging out, too. I extended my stay here many times and can only recommend this very international hostel to everyone.

A really nice hostel, very nice staff and great to have your own kitchen kit! The job list was helpful too. Hope to come back soon!

• 29th Sep 2014