Tombstone Backpackers Reviews

16, Gravesend Place, Picton, New Zealand

Pretty garden setting and a super helpful staff. They even gave us a last-minute ride to the ferry terminal - we really appreciated it! Also, there were fresh-made scones for breakfast - absolutely delicious. It's a little further from the center of town, but I think it's worth it. Fantastic place.

• 19th Feb 2015

One of the BEST hostels I have stayed in during my travelling years. Awesome hosts and great facilities. I will highly recommend this place to anyone who is travelling NZ. I will certainly be going back.

Great hostel! Very clean and welcoming. Would stay again and recommend to others :-)

Such a great place, the kitchen was so clean for a hostel. The garden is great because of the view and hot tub obvs!

Tombstone. My first hostel experience. I am very well traveled, and must say I found tombstone and it's management to be the most hospatable I ever met. When things go well... Anyone can handle it. It's when they run amuck it takes these kind of of folks to keep it on track. This was my case and coming from a great distance, where weather effects logistics, tombstone made sure I was taken care of. Warm, friendly, accommodating, I felt like I belonged there.

• 8th Feb 2015

Great hostel with amazing owners. I absolutely loved the kitchen and outdoor patio. The entire place is very spacious and the dorm beds were really comfortable. The night I stayed, the place was fully booked, but one of the owners offered his own tent to someone looking for a room, which I thought was awesome. If you're in Picton, you HAVE to stay here!

• 5th Feb 2015
  • kelsofly

This is definitely one of the best hostels I've stayed in. Loads of facilities- a hot tub, pool table, ping pong table... Also lots of bonuses like amazing hot fresh scones in the morning and free wifi. The place is spotless as well, including the shower areas ( with awesome water pressure and space to leave your stuff without getting soaked). The design of the hostel is great too, with tons of space divided into different areas so you always feel a bit of privacy. I felt at home here!

Easily the best hostel I've stayed in on the South Island, if not New Zealand. Gary and Nikki are amazing hosts and look to make everyone welcome. Free breakfast including Nikki's fresh from the oven scones is a big plus point! If I were nit picking I would say it's a tiny bit out of the way, but the free pick up from the hostel from the ferry terminal makes up for that! Would definitely stay again

Cute and different type of backpackers. Good one

We had a lovely stay and really enjoyed our time at Tombstone!

would highly recommend tombstone to family and friends found it very homely, relaxing,and comfortable lovely homemade scones alison

• 8th Jan 2015
  • New Zealand
  • Mixed Group, 41+

A great stay at the lovely Tombstone Backpackers ! Gary and Nikky are great hosts and make their best to make you feel very comfortable. All the commodities are perfectly equiped, clean and working, beds are good even in the 8 pers. dorm. The garden is just lovely to chill in, with a beautiful view on the harbour. Very easy to get there from the ferry, but the hosts gladely drive you to the ferry if you don't feel like carrying your heavy backpack. And free Wifi really works ;)

We enjoyed the table Tennis Option and that it was right opposite the ferry habour. Breakfast was oven warm rolls, cerials and jam - all fine

• 23rd Dec 2014

Staff was great. Made scones in the morning along with cereal and or toast. Gave me rides to downtown. Great atmosphere.

This is a perfect hostel. Nikki and Gary care about every guest. There is breakfast incl. fresh scones, a spa pool, pick up and drop offs, wifi... Picton and Marlborough Sound are very beautiful.

This couple is amazing. Very sweet and open for anything...they stayed up an extra 1.5 hours so we could check in late! They make fresh scones in the morning for everyone and the common areas are bustling and everyone was friendly. Location isn't the best but Picton is small. Worth it to stay here for sure!!

Probably the cleanest hostel I've stayed in for a while. Showers have plenty of space to put towels and clothes. Different rooms for different activities. Sunny terrace.

We have stayed in about 10 backpackers in NZ so far and this is by far the best! We had a lovely room, the bathrooms are brand new and spotless, shared areas are great and it's easy to find a quiet spot too. Gary and Nikki are lovely and helpful and the place felt really homely. We would have happily stayed a week there in Picton. Can't rate it highly enough!

Wonderful hostel! Facilities were great, hot tub overlooking the city/ocean was a really nice touch. Very close to the ferries, excellent wifi, free breakfast, nice beds. Ran by a lovely couple who upgraded our room without asking, at no extra charge! Would highly recommend staying at this hostel and would definitely stay there again.

Had a very good time, enjoyed sitting in the hot tub and watching the ferries leave and arrive. Met some great people also. Free lift to/from ferry/bus is awesome!