Travellers Trax @ The Barley Corn Hotel Reviews

177 Johnston Street, Collingwood, Melbourne, Australia

Was not very clean but you have a shower with warm wather :)

This hostel is OK. The first impression is bad but with a time you learn small things that make your life easier, for example that you have to wave your hand in shower area to trigger light sensor in a toilet :). The doorms, kitchen, fridge (yes, it's a separate room) and common area are very spacious. The staff takes an effort to keep the place clean. The hostel has quite a few long staying residents. The main drawback is loud music in backyard area all the time.

I had such a sweet time in this hostel, Some things were a little tricky to start with because you have to find your locker to find all of your bedding and kitchen tools, but this is a good thing because you have your own place to put your food that is safe. The people are very lovely also and if you are lucky there may be some work to do for some accommodation, (I love to paint ;)

• 21st Mar 2015

I had a fantastic time at this hostel. The people were very kind, not what I expected from such a cheap price. The free wifi is such a help to me, although you can only get the wifi in half the hostel. But us still fantastic.

• 19th Mar 2015
  • India

No way I could slate this place :) Loved every moment of being here and made friends for life! Don't be afraid to chill outside with everyone. You'll enjoy your stay a million times more

A good hostel and great staff!

• 18th Mar 2015
  • Sweden

The staff were all very friendly and really helpful with everything we asked them for. The hostel is conveniently located pretty close to transit. It's close to some pretty cool streets with good restaurants, shops, etc. It's definitely the cheapest hostel around, but it is for an 18-bed dorm which is definitely a lot of people. I think the hostel has the potential to be really great, but there were a lot of long-term people who were drunk and loud every night.

A really lovely stay

• 17th Mar 2015

I had a lot of fun there, only stayed for one night and arrived very late but was easy to get my keys and the night manager was very helpful. The staff let me stay all the next day and use the internet and lounge room until my lift arrived to get me. I will 100 percent stay there when I come back

• 17th Mar 2015

Best hostel ever

• 16th Mar 2015

We were asked to leave a review here by the staff at the hostel I read the comments left by other people and i see why.. This hostel is NOT THAT BAD Seriously.. It is old and not everything works right (some leaking taps and things break) but its an old building, they have a guy who lives there who just fixes things haha) But thats what you expect for paying the cheapest price I have stayed in some HORRIBLE hostels, this is not one! Dont expect the ritz and you will be fine Very safe also

• 16th Mar 2015

I met my friends in this hostel, They stayed there for much longer than i did, But i really enjoy this hostel This is second time that i come back with them, i was told to stay here by people i meet on my farm work and i really enjoy it They tell us that no one writes to leave good review here This is a good review. Some things are dripping and broken but i see them fixing things and its ok for me

• Hungary

My friends and i stay here when we are in Melbourne It is good hostel

• Scotland

Me and my friends stay here when ever we come back into Melbourne from doing our farm work It is very sad that the reviews are so low for this hostel and that is why we have been asked to leave an honest accounting If you want a cheap place that always seems to be full of fantastic people this is the place to stay It is very clean but people have a lot of stuffs that does spread out and it is an old building Great location for us, free internet and free locker. Perfect

• 16th Mar 2015

If you like drugs, other druggies and don't have valuable stuff it's nice.

• 14th Mar 2015

We almost did not stay in this hostel because of the bad reviews online. This is a great place to stay, we had a lot of fun with the staff are really nice, and the people are all really friendly and fun It is an old hostel and building and some sinks drip but i see the cleaners everyday and place is very clean, just old It is the best price and perfect hostel if you want to meet great people.

• 12th Mar 2015
  • Argentina

We were going to stay 8 nights but decided to only stay the one. The area is awful - broken windows and dirty - and then the hostel is an absolute mess. The door to our room was just left open so we didn't want to leave our stuff. The whole atmosphere made me feel uncomfortable. The toilets were absolutely gross and the light didn't even work in one. Even if you're looking for a cheap option, don't stay here.

This place has potential but atm does not meet the requirements. The whole place is falling apart, there a lot of thiefs (my shoes were stolen) and the cleaning staff is missing or non existence, they should hire more to keep the place at a minimum, is the cheapest hostel in the summer but i would not pay a cent in any other season. great location.

All in all, if you're backpacking into Melbourne and you're looking for a cheap, closeby and active social environment than travellerstrax is not bad, The staff there are helpful, the backpackers diverse (and mostly German), and is within walking distance to shops, Yes, not all the sinks work, yes somebody may "borrow" your milk and yes you may not feel entirely secure about leaving your stuff in a room of 6, but for what it's worth, it's laid back and fun

• 2nd Mar 2015
  • Sweden

This place was ok, value for money it is what you expect. The place was cleaned on a daily basis. It was cheap and basic, nothing amazing but nothing too bad, however there where lots of non guest there and my dorm was never locked, even if I did lock it other guests opened it and left it unlocked. I had no problems but I kept all valuables on me at all times.

• 26th Feb 2015