Travellers Trax @ The Barley Corn Hotel Reviews

177 Johnston Street, Collingwood, Melbourne, Australia

This is not a hostel. This is a place for drug addicts and homeless people. It's disgusting, it's crowded, it's dirty. My pillow had blood on it. All the rooms smelled weed and everyone looks either drugged or drunk. Terrible vibe, terrible experience. Me and my friend only stayed there for a few hours, trying to find another decent place to stay. I really recommend anyone to NOT book this place, even if you're broke. It looks like a DANGEROUS place to sleep.

• 28th Jul 2015

Good value-for-money hostel if your budget is a high priority - especially if you need to stay for prolonged periods of time. There will be much nicer and cleaner hostels around Melbourne without doubt. But as a place of refuge for people who need a place to chill for a set period of time and not hurt the wallet too much, this is the one. That should be remembered. So don't expect the Ritz when you arrive and remember how much you are playing for a basic bed, hot shower and WiFi.

Cheap, nasty. First impressions were of a slum, though i stayed in a really cheap room. Once i moved room it was much better. Had a ladder as company in the room for some reason but apart from that i enjoyed my stay.

• 3rd Jul 2015
  • Scotland

May not be the cleanest hostel or in the best location, but it's close to Victoria Park station and is a bed to sleep in. The staff is nice and provides each person with a locker, and grocery bag with kitchen utensils.

THEIFS - Whilst sleeping someone went into my bag and stole my phone charger and travel adaptor!!! DIRTY - Showers are over the urinal it's dirty!!! STAFF - Don't help when you have a problem and are too busy getting high or off there face!!! I wouldn't let my dogs stay there to be honest and I would pay a little extra and stay in a more reputable hostel

The main issue is that it is hard to find. There isn't a visible sign or anything to really let you know that you are in the right place. It isn't clean at all. It has a sort of run-down feel to it. Still if you need a bed to crash for a night or two, it is a good deal.

Good choice if you're trying to save money while looking for a job. Facilities are adequate but it's certainly not The Ritz. Can be a mission to check in late at night if you don't have a phone. The room was spacious even though there were 18 beds. Bathrooms and toilets were okay. Kitchen was spacious and has the basics.

• 4th May 2015
  • South Africa

The wifi doesn't work no toilets papers no hot water in the shower, the toilet of Mac Donald are better , is just cheap

• 26th Apr 2015

The worst week of my life

• 23rd Apr 2015

Run down building that could use improvements, the reception area looks 100x better than the rest of the hostel.

• 16th Apr 2015

These are some really really nice people. I had such a great time and I particularly like the extras, free internet, free locker and free politeness :) Thank you for a very lovely stay

• 13th Apr 2015
  • Sweden

Was not very clean but you have a shower with warm wather :)

This hostel is OK. The first impression is bad but with a time you learn small things that make your life easier, for example that you have to wave your hand in shower area to trigger light sensor in a toilet :). The doorms, kitchen, fridge (yes, it's a separate room) and common area are very spacious. The staff takes an effort to keep the place clean. The hostel has quite a few long staying residents. The main drawback is loud music in backyard area all the time.

I had such a sweet time in this hostel, Some things were a little tricky to start with because you have to find your locker to find all of your bedding and kitchen tools, but this is a good thing because you have your own place to put your food that is safe. The people are very lovely also and if you are lucky there may be some work to do for some accommodation, (I love to paint ;)

• 21st Mar 2015

I had a fantastic time at this hostel. The people were very kind, not what I expected from such a cheap price. The free wifi is such a help to me, although you can only get the wifi in half the hostel. But us still fantastic.

• 19th Mar 2015
  • India

No way I could slate this place :) Loved every moment of being here and made friends for life! Don't be afraid to chill outside with everyone. You'll enjoy your stay a million times more

A good hostel and great staff!

• 18th Mar 2015
  • Sweden

The staff were all very friendly and really helpful with everything we asked them for. The hostel is conveniently located pretty close to transit. It's close to some pretty cool streets with good restaurants, shops, etc. It's definitely the cheapest hostel around, but it is for an 18-bed dorm which is definitely a lot of people. I think the hostel has the potential to be really great, but there were a lot of long-term people who were drunk and loud every night.

A really lovely stay

• 17th Mar 2015

I had a lot of fun there, only stayed for one night and arrived very late but was easy to get my keys and the night manager was very helpful. The staff let me stay all the next day and use the internet and lounge room until my lift arrived to get me. I will 100 percent stay there when I come back

• 17th Mar 2015