Travellers Trax @ The Barley Corn Hotel Reviews

177 Johnston Street, Collingwood, Melbourne, Australia

Only stay here is you really have to, loads of building work going on ATM. So might be better once it's finished. They have 3 kitchens but if they cleaned and replaced the cutlery it would be a lot better. Atmosphere is chilled. The communal area is horrific, stinks with no roof. Location is decent. The man at reception is really nice and helpful, the girl could do with better people skills though.

Short version: stay away from this place if you can! It is, easily, the worst hostel I have ever stayed at and hopefully will ever stay at. Long version: the staff are rude and incompetent. They force people to change rooms in the middle of the night(waking everyone up in the process), and can't keep you supplied with basic amenities like toliet paper. They let homeless people hang out there, serously. The place was not just disgusting, it was falling apart. The roof would leak when in rained.

• 19th Jan 2016

if your looking for a cool well price hostel in north Melbourne this is a good one. Its not surer clean and not the best place for 18 year olds that just got off the plane and don't know up from down but its good if you need a well placed hostel to crash in while you work out your next move. that have free wi fi and are also re furbishing so in coming months the hostel will be much nicer!

• 15th Jan 2016
  • Cyprus

Girl in reception was not helpful. Over charge. Poor facility. No security. While I stayed, a stranger came into the hostel and walked around... Maybe he was homeless... Room and even shower don't have lock. And people can easily see other guest taking shower from outside! Full of smell of weed in courtyard. Never stay here again

All the doors were open all the time so there were random people walking inside, entering the rooms and even sleeping in spare beds. No lockers. I didn"t feel safe for myself nor for my staff. I was woken up several times by the staff, for example when they wanted to make sure if I had booked or not, wtf.Only two toilets and showers were working, they were very dirty and smelled bad. Kitchen was horrible, only one small fridge for everyone and dishes always undone! Overall horrible experience!

• 11th Jan 2016
  • Finland

This is the place to stay in Melbourne , granted it is not very luxurious but it is the cheapest and the atmosphere is just wonderful , the owner and the staff are extremely friendly and well organised. There are 2 kitchens, lockers, the wifi is ok and much more. It is very popular so better to book well in advance . Fortunately , they are in the process of renovating and expanding . It is going to be even better. Great job guys . Thank you so much.

Price was good, location good. But that's about it! There only having two toilets and showers for 40+ people is an heathy for people staying there, I just didn't in joy my stay!

This hostel was the worst I've seen in my life. It was even overbooked when I came and they didn't contact me or help me finding another solution. The rooms and services were awful

• 31st Dec 2015

Take time to sort things out, step by step, everything will be even better.

You get what you pay for. Dirty and noisy. But a good crew and not one but two kitchens! The main thing that annoyed me was there was only one shower and two toilets between all of us (50+). This meant there were long, annoying waits at times. I likes the outdoor chill area outside - that was nice.

Good organisation with night arrival. Suburb seems not to be one of the best. One big downside was that there was just one shower available for the whole upper floor and this shower was a mess with loose water handles holes in the floor .... The basement with a gathering room was under renovation. Beds were very old, shaking when someone moved and more uncomfy than the beds i had during my military service (and they where bad). Kitchen was even for a hostel bad equipped.

• 11th Dec 2015

Really clean and low key atmosphere. Seems centrally located to most shops, but away from all the crazy crowds. Very relaxed space with lots of room.

This place was a mess and the beds were even worse than in any 3rd wold country I've been to. Only one shower for all the guests. Can't recommend staying here again. Staff and location was good tho.

• 11th Dec 2015
  • All Male Group, 25-30

Very vibrant ad friendly hostel . You can meet people every day. May not have best facilities but makes up for character.

While quite run down, everything works and it's generally clean enough. It's about what I expected for the price. The only concerning thing was that you could easily get into the building and individual rooms without a key and without a passcode. Despite that, the fellow travelers were great. Everyone was very friendly and loved to have a chat. If you're the social type, you could go downstairs and hang out. If not, the rooms were usually unoccupied during the day. Good for the price.

• 2nd Dec 2015

The hostel was very cheap and you get what u pay for, which i'm okay with. Staff wasn't very friendly though, ignoring deposit being paid to hostelbookers and just ignoring me when i wanted to check out...

Really cool and relaxed hostel. friendly people, comfortable rooms, 2 kitchens and free wifi.

its no a hostel, its a drug lair... dirty, and i felt that people are not friendly at all... my experiance thats it.

Smell like feet...

• 10th Oct 2015

First of all I could find the place, they only have a small paper behind the window saying "Travellers Trax Hostel". My check-in was a drunk lady giving me an envelop with my key in it and some info about check out. A lot of people in the hostel drank and used drugs all day and night, there for walking around sober felt a bit strange. I put my stuff in the fridge, next day half of it was gone. Kitchen is dirty, not enough supplies (1 knife!). My check out was dropping my key in a box.