Trek Global Reviews

9 O'Reily Ave, Wellington, New Zealand

As an older lady new to hostels, I was a little concerned how it would work out. I needn't have worried- I stayed in the retreat

in my opinion it wasn't necessary to clean the bathrooms 3 times a day.. and everyday (I've stayed there 3 nights) in the time I wanted to shower.. (so that was bad luck but I think most people, especially when they want to checkout, want to shower at 9am) I've stayed in the red section, so I had to cook with the longterm stayers.. those facilities aren't enough in that case.

• 16th Mar 2015

Very nice staff, we booked a two bed dorm but to make sure we got in the same room we got upgraded to an ensuite double! The bathroom in the was a bit disgusting though - clearly not cleaned. Would stay there again

Other customers of the hostel were noisy on street outside our window throughout the night. Many swipe doors made security great. Would be good to have a sink in the 'female only' area, and maybe a separate toilet, so you don't have to line up waiting for showers. Car-parking was an issue, as we didn't know to book ahead, and there were no spaces left, so we had to pay for street parking ($4/hr!) Otherwise brilliant location though, clean, and friendly staff. Freebies were much appreciated!

The location was excellent as it was right in the centre and a short walk to te papa. It was very clean and the staff on the desk were friendly. The only thing letting it down was the atmosphere as there were a lot of long term guests who were loud, drunk and smoking (wacky backy). We would recommend people to stay here if you can put up with the loud noise as such a good location.

Not one of the better hostels in NZ. Good location and friendly staff. But the hostel was not clean at all, the showers were disgusting. And very noisy, not helped by the fact that the hostel backs onto some flats and they were banging music out

Wasn't really much of a friendly vibe there, kitchen was dirty. Rooms were clean though, showers were nice and big!

Mostly longtermers there, so it is more laid back.

Small rooms that get very hot at night. Everyone very friendly within the hostel. A kitchen on every floor so never feels over crowded. Would recommend this place

Excellent hostel. Brilliant helpful reception staff. Best hot powerful shower in NZ. Good atmosphere, easy to meet people. The 2 bed female dorm is worth the extra money. You get exclusive use of the small rooftop garden and hairdryer and straightner.

Very nice staff, good location

There was a strong smell of rotting garbage on the second floor. The whole place was filthy and the rooms are too close to the common area.

Okey hostel, good rooms and kitchen, nice and clean.

I think the staff need to keep a closer watch over the people staying here. The floor we were on was very dirty, due to people not cleaning up after themselves (beer bottles left everywhere, half eaten bowls of food in the kitchen in the morning etc) The bathrooms should be cleaned more frequently as well thank you :-)

Very noisy with people and doors banging the beds rattled like there where about to collapse the room was filthy when I check in and stayed that way through my stay also there wasn't anough bathrooms

Both the dorm we stayed in and the 4-bunkbed room we slept in were dirty as hell and bathrooms pretty disgusting as well. Barely no windows to open so the air in the room was really poor. Not a nice kitchen, messy and to small. Only good thing about the hostel is the staff, they were great!

The staff were super nice, friendly, and helpful, but the pros end there. Our room was dirty, smelly, and had the worst roommates! We did our best to be quiet and considerate while they slept, but they had no problem having very loud conversations and flipping the light on and off all night. A large group of guys drank, yelled, and blasted music until about 2am which sucked considering we had a super early flight the next day. All seemed to be long term staying, so BEWARE!

Goos hostel!

Great working hostel, staff lovely, free tea and coffee.. Security best I've ever seen.. Multiple kitchens so never any issue cooking. Super duper clean! Only downside is bedrooms only hoovered once a week.. Gets messy with work boots etc! Thanks guys!

I was quite disappointed with the hostel, never seen such a labyrinth with stratified sections, multiple doors, separate kitchens and everything. Medium-big sized hostels already have troubles to have a good atmosphere, in this case architecture almost kills it at once. The common areas and bathroowere always very dirty and the walls in the rooms looked like cardboards. You could hear everything coming from the kitchen, corridors and next door neighbors. I wouldnt come back.