Trek Global Reviews

9 O'Reily Ave, Wellington, New Zealand

Not recommendable! Very tiny and dark rooms, too less space in kitchen. When I was there about twenty teenage guests where lingering in front of the entrance door, some of them obviously drunken. One had to jump over empty beer and wine bottles to get in. The hostel staff tolerated that...

I'm not fussy where I sleep and never write bad reviews,but this place is a dump,I used to live in a squat that was in better condition than this.Its dirty,it stinks and the facilities are all broken,dirty or just inadequate,locks dont work and the pillows are as thin as an unfolded newspaper.Staff are more than happy to repremand you for sipping a beer quietly in the lobby (ok there are warnings about that bit)but do nothing to calm the night-long noise in the hallways. Cheap,but not value.

• 17th Nov 2014

Nice hostel. Clean and tidy. Great location - 10 mins walk from ferry-terminal or central railway station. Friendly stuff. Arrived at approx 1 a.m. and had no problem with check-in coz called in advance.

Nice hostel. Good atmosphere, though other guests were there for extended stays, giving the atmosphere an almost moved in feeling (docking cleanliness in the room a bit). But people were still quite welcoming and upbeat! Staff were friendly enough with guests but seemed to generally dislike working here, though that may have just been when I happened to be there. I would've like to have free wifi, since it is a key to travel, but I would stay there again if need be.

The staff were super helpful and nice, location was greeeat - even appreciated the wee hill up the driveway that gave my legs a little work out. The other guests were a little loud but I had an easy, relaxed stay, thanks!

Overall the hostel is a quite good one compared to some I've stayed in but I think there house keeping is not up to much. I was appalled by them saying because I wanted to changed beds to a bottom bunk when a person checked out that I had to make my own bed. I am paying for a service whilst staying here so I expect my bed to me made for me as part of the service I'm paying for. Other than this, the stay has been good.

• 23rd Oct 2014

We might have caught it on a particularly bad weekend, but the noise levels and ruckus was insane... the worst we had in five hostels on our trip. The day started with someone on our floor blasting 'Smack My B**ch Up' by Prodigy at NINE AM, and ended with drunk people literally screaming, slamming doors, and pounding on everyone else's door (including ours) at who knows what hour. Beds are the worst we'd had in five hostels too. Not enough bathrooms, had to wait for 45 minutes to pee.

You can hear people from other rooms but this hostel is very clean. The staff is also very nice and helpful.

We stayed here for four nights and had a horrible experience. Our room was full of long term stayers who were extremely rude and smelly. Three of the four nights, the residence of the hostel partied on a set of steps outside our dorm window until after 5am (on one night 7am). Would not recommend this hostel to anyone.

• 24th Jul 2014

Excellent central location.. Nice staff and fellow lodgers.. The size of the rooms and beds were a problem for me apart from that all good.

The good - staff; location. The bad - a live-in hostel for long termers. No good if you are a casual traveller looking to get to sleep before 11.30pm. The live in's showed little to no respect for cleanliness or noise in communal areas.

Staff were absolutely lovely, they went out of their way to help us. I liked the separate kitchen areas. Floor in kitchen needed cleaning but there was a big group of people in our area and possibly they had made the mess. Would stay again.

good budget hostel. nice staffs, clean room. but there are lots of long stay ppl.

Convenient central location. Staff were very helpful in terms of giving directions and booking tours. Parking is expensive, and traffic to and from the hostel can be very bad; allow extra time to drive places if there's any construction, or during the day. Other hostel residence were very noisy until after midnight. Bathrooms were fairly clean but second floor kitchen was not great (main floor was better). Amount of bathrooms per floor was sufficient. Overall I probably would stay there again.

The bathrooms had a terrible smell. The floor of the kitchen had so much food scraps. I did not enjoy my stay at this hostel.

• 4th Jun 2014

Seemed like there are a lot long term recidents which means they have taken over the room and common areas -> not so clean

Lovely people and staff. just very cold in rooms and only one dryer working. Very nice hostel overall but a bit pricey and not many bathrooms on my floor.