Tropic Inn Reviews

30 College Avenue, Colombo, Sri Lanka

Tropic Inn is my favourite hostel in Colombo: super friendly staff, clean, mostly good wifi. Mount Lavinia beach gets more and more restaurants, you can use the deckchairs from beach hotel for some rupees. Supermarket, Lion Pub and Pizza Restaurant are on Galle Road.So, there is no reason to go to buzzling Colombo City. Enjoy Lavinia Beach and the friendliness of Lasitha and his team. If you would like to have a luxury day, visit Mount Lavinia hotel, the mansion of a former British governor.

• 18th Apr 2015

Tropic inn is an excellent hostel. Better than expected considering the price. Very friendly and helpful staff. Comfy beds and a good vibe.

• 6th Apr 2015
  • Scotland

Very good location and staff very helpful.Had a great time and food reasonably priced.

Excellent I stayed in the dorm for 3 nights at the end of March. Very clean. Friendly staff. Complimentary glass of chilled fresh juice on arrival and a cool bottle of water. Buffet breakfast is not included in the price. It is 400 lkr and very good value to suit all tastes. Breakfast is included if you book a private room. The room had a wardrobe, desk and TV etc. Hot water shower 24/7. The room was cleaned every other day. Every query I had was dealt with efficiently. Highly recommended.

All the staff were so friendly and they helped me out a lot. Room was very clean also. It's a little far from Colombo but not a big problem. Beach is just within 5 mins walk from the hotel.

Great shower, close to train, wonderful breakfast

old fort building as expected, good service and helpful staff

My wife and I stayed at the hostel twice and it was perfect for what we were looking for.

• 20th Feb 2015

We very much enjoyed our stay at Tropic Inn. The pick up service from the airport worked fantastic. The stuff was friendly and helpful and even changing our booking was no problem.

Nice decently clean place staff were friendly , dorm could use some lockers . Just a few minutes from the beach. The airport pick up was handy. Nice quite place to relax

I enjoyed my stay here as it was clean, not too busy and it helped by having a tv in the dorm I stayed in which was nice to unwind to asi wafched a couple of films on HBO chamnel. There is nothing in mt lavinia so not alot to do, it is close to the beach but its not a great beach. Wifi was good but had a few powercuts during one evening. Nice guy on reception. I guess the wifi and tv helped me to relax and having noone in the dorm gave me a relaxing time. Close to town but area is boring.

Nice cheap place near the beach and train station. No complaints.

A 2 minute walk to the beach. A 10 minute walk to the Mt. Livonia train station. (Although if you want a seat in 2nd class, you should go to the Colombo station.) Maybe about a 40 minute tuktuk ride to Colombo.

The young staff are excellent, all the boys try to help. When things go wrong, like tv, air con, water or anything they apologise and try to fix it. I think management could be a bit more proactive in fixing the facilities and that would help. It's the best customer service I've had in Sri Lanka. They just need to fix a few things and keep the maintenance up. They could improve the food too, the breakfast is fine and some of it is adequate but some is too pricey for what it is and staff agree.