Tropic Inn Reviews

30 College Avenue, Colombo, Sri Lanka

Great shower, close to train, wonderful breakfast

old fort building as expected, good service and helpful staff

My wife and I stayed at the hostel twice and it was perfect for what we were looking for.

• 20th Feb 2015

We very much enjoyed our stay at Tropic Inn. The pick up service from the airport worked fantastic. The stuff was friendly and helpful and even changing our booking was no problem.

Nice decently clean place staff were friendly , dorm could use some lockers . Just a few minutes from the beach. The airport pick up was handy. Nice quite place to relax

I enjoyed my stay here as it was clean, not too busy and it helped by having a tv in the dorm I stayed in which was nice to unwind to asi wafched a couple of films on HBO chamnel. There is nothing in mt lavinia so not alot to do, it is close to the beach but its not a great beach. Wifi was good but had a few powercuts during one evening. Nice guy on reception. I guess the wifi and tv helped me to relax and having noone in the dorm gave me a relaxing time. Close to town but area is boring.

Nice cheap place near the beach and train station. No complaints.

A 2 minute walk to the beach. A 10 minute walk to the Mt. Livonia train station. (Although if you want a seat in 2nd class, you should go to the Colombo station.) Maybe about a 40 minute tuktuk ride to Colombo.

The young staff are excellent, all the boys try to help. When things go wrong, like tv, air con, water or anything they apologise and try to fix it. I think management could be a bit more proactive in fixing the facilities and that would help. It's the best customer service I've had in Sri Lanka. They just need to fix a few things and keep the maintenance up. They could improve the food too, the breakfast is fine and some of it is adequate but some is too pricey for what it is and staff agree.

Best hostel, I ever had. Friendliness of staff is overwhelming, esp. LASITHA -hopefully correct spelling(?!) does everything to make you happy. If you want busy nightlife, go closer to Colombo city. If you want to relax from a busy life, choose Tropic Inn. Breakfeast is heaven there.

• 5th Oct 2014

The staff were very helpful and friendly. Free breakfast is included, however, we were not told what time this is at and since we got in from our flight very late, when we came down at 10am they had stopped serving breakfast. They also started construction work in the hostel fairly early. However, besides those two complaints, the rooms were very nice and clean and the location to the beach is excellent.

This was a great place to stay. The staff were very helpful and the airport pick-up service made our arrival so much easier.

Staff are friendly and helpful.

They do not have a safety deposit box at the front desk or luggage storage. A problem if you need to keep your things there or store luggage. i left my luggage sitting there in the front desk of the hotel. I was headed to Kandy and did not want to take it. I was lucky and nothing was stolen. The Hotel has excellent value and a nice free breakfast. the wifi is weak. The Hotel has a great location within 1 block of the beach.

I enjoyed my stay very much. The staff is soooo nice, especially lasitha! he's definitively the heart of the hostel. Furthermore the room was very clean, the breakfast was delicious and the beach is very close. Best location to start a trip through sri lanka or to spend your last days before you fly home. Thanx to the Tropic Inn to let me feel so welcome! And a special hug to lasitha! :)

• 28th Jul 2013

Extremely helpful staff - I had booked a dorm room, but was given a single room to sleep in when I arrived at 6.30am (after being picked up by one of their drivers). The receptionist helped me organise onward travel to Kandy, and EVEN woke me up when I overslept so I wouldn't miss my train! What a hero! Would definitely come again.

Price/quality relation was good and facilities ok. The staff very helpful and welcoming but we had a few unfortunate mishapenings during our stay. I would recommend this place but not to leave your key at the reception desk. Place is a bit far from downtown, but with local buses it takes about 10min. which I think is fair. Very good breakfast!

• 19th May 2013
  • Finland
  • Female

A very bland place, though it'll work if you need somewhere to stay. Be careful in the dorm room, lax security abound.

Tropic Inn is a very nice place to stay if you want to enjoy Colombo but don't wanna be in the middle of the mess of the city. The Hostel/Hotel is very close to the city (15min by tuk tuk) and its located in an very nice beach, with some restaurants and bars (not so many tough). If you compare with the south, of course the beach won't be so nice, but if you want to enjoy Colombo for one day or two, I would definitely stay in Mt Lavinia and Tropic Inn.

Right by the beach with easy acces via bus, local train or tuk tuk to the city. Helpful and attentive staff. Clean. A/C. Did the job.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7