Tropic Inn Reviews

30 College Avenue, Colombo, Sri Lanka

The staff were very helpful and friendly. Free breakfast is included, however, we were not told what time this is at and since we got in from our flight very late, when we came down at 10am they had stopped serving breakfast. They also started construction work in the hostel fairly early. However, besides those two complaints, the rooms were very nice and clean and the location to the beach is excellent.

This was a great place to stay. The staff were very helpful and the airport pick-up service made our arrival so much easier.

Staff are friendly and helpful.

They do not have a safety deposit box at the front desk or luggage storage. A problem if you need to keep your things there or store luggage. i left my luggage sitting there in the front desk of the hotel. I was headed to Kandy and did not want to take it. I was lucky and nothing was stolen. The Hotel has excellent value and a nice free breakfast. the wifi is weak. The Hotel has a great location within 1 block of the beach.

I enjoyed my stay very much. The staff is soooo nice, especially lasitha! he's definitively the heart of the hostel. Furthermore the room was very clean, the breakfast was delicious and the beach is very close. Best location to start a trip through sri lanka or to spend your last days before you fly home. Thanx to the Tropic Inn to let me feel so welcome! And a special hug to lasitha! :)

• 28th Jul 2013

Extremely helpful staff - I had booked a dorm room, but was given a single room to sleep in when I arrived at 6.30am (after being picked up by one of their drivers). The receptionist helped me organise onward travel to Kandy, and EVEN woke me up when I overslept so I wouldn't miss my train! What a hero! Would definitely come again.

Price/quality relation was good and facilities ok. The staff very helpful and welcoming but we had a few unfortunate mishapenings during our stay. I would recommend this place but not to leave your key at the reception desk. Place is a bit far from downtown, but with local buses it takes about 10min. which I think is fair. Very good breakfast!

• 19th May 2013
  • Finland
  • Female

A very bland place, though it'll work if you need somewhere to stay. Be careful in the dorm room, lax security abound.

Tropic Inn is a very nice place to stay if you want to enjoy Colombo but don't wanna be in the middle of the mess of the city. The Hostel/Hotel is very close to the city (15min by tuk tuk) and its located in an very nice beach, with some restaurants and bars (not so many tough). If you compare with the south, of course the beach won't be so nice, but if you want to enjoy Colombo for one day or two, I would definitely stay in Mt Lavinia and Tropic Inn.

Right by the beach with easy acces via bus, local train or tuk tuk to the city. Helpful and attentive staff. Clean. A/C. Did the job.

Not a hostel but a hotel, clean, efficient, with a good range for breakfast. Close to the beach but not so close that you are by the train tracks.

• 9th Mar 2013

Really good place to stay at for a cuople of days, Not really a backpacking scene, but thats the same all over Sri Lanka. really good free breakfast everyday, really nice and helpfull staff! good place to stay for a few days in Colombo!!

Friendly and helpful staff. Super clean, comfortable beds, near the beach and main road. A great place to start your travels in Sri Lanka.

Great and friendly staff.

The staff was incredibly friendly. They even called the first morning to remind about the breakfast so that we wouldn't miss it. The place was clean and really close to the beach. Breakfast was fairly good. Water heater was quite strange; it leaked when it was on and it took a while for us to learn how to use it . AC worked properly.

Good place. you have to know that it's a tuk tuk ride from the center, but other than that it is fine.

would go again value for money ey

The Tropic Inn is a great hotel. We would definitely stay there again and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone. I was worried that it might be a bit far out of Colombo but it wasn't. The local train station was nearby and it only took about 15 minutes to get into the city and cost 15 rupees (about 10 Australian cents). The buffet breakfast was great.

Staff was very helpful in giving directions around town, which local bus to catch, and arranged a taxi back to the airport. It was my mistake but I thought this place was close to the air, but quickly realized it was an hours drive. It is a 2 min walk to the beach and a 10 min bus ride into Colombo. The hotel is nice and quiet. The shower is warm. The breakfast is sizable. I enjoyed my stay.

• 7th Nov 2012