Turtlecove Accommodation Reviews

14 Bryce Street, Whitianga, New Zealand

In contrast to most hostels in NZ Turtle Cove does not offer any kind of free wifi. Not even 100MB a day. The sleeping was good. Overall not more than avarage.

Thoughly enjoyed my stay at this well run, clean hostel.

Our room was lovely, however the wifi was awful. Firstly I couldn't get it to work and the manager was less than helpful she said "I don't know how iPhones work" which is fair enough but she didn't even seem to know how the wifi worked at all! Secondly when I finally got it to "work" I got charged 5 times (which should have given me 5 days worth) however it was so on and off (mainly the latter) that I only got a few hours in total. My friend had a similar problem.

Only after paying for our stay and hunting down the person running this hostel a few times did we find out about the lack of Wi-Fi, despite numerous signs advertising it. The person manning the operation summarily told us the Wi-Fi is down, but we can use one of the XP machines that cost $2 for 18 minutes. After deciding that we still needed to book things, we broke down and paid for the dinosaur. It limped along until, at last, 18 minutes were up and we were no closer to booking anything.

We do not stay in our office 24/7 but we are only a push of a button away, and yes our wifi was broken, BUT had we known this was such a big problem for you during your 3 day stay and that you couldn't make use the free wifi available at the library 5 min walk from here, then we would have happily cancelled your booking. Security, well we have a safe available and your cabin locked and we do a security round after midnight every night? We hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip. Regards Jean