USA Hostels Ocean Beach Reviews

4961 Newport Ave., CA 92107, San Diego, USA

This hostel has a great location and a lot of potential. However, some areas were left lacking. It feels like a corporation owns it (corporate t shirts, merchandise, standardization of facilities, lack of art/music) - which I felt negatively affected the overall atmosphere. The common area was awkward and somewhat unused as a result. Security and cleanliness were great. The kitchen was understocked and locked after ten pm - which can be inconvenient. I prefer the ITH downtown for socializing.

Thanks for your feedback. We had changed the name of the hostel the day before your review and just given the staff all shirts - which are tie dyed. Perhaps it was just how new they were! We are just completing an upgrade and have not yet put new décor in the hallways, but have some fun, beach-y fun things planned. Our patio common area is usually packed with guests and we hold a number of activities there including BBQs, yoga class and family dinners. ITH is fun too, but not at the beach!

This was my first stay in a hostel and I would stay here before I would consider a hotel. This was a great experience.

• 19th Jun 2015

That's awesome! We love it when we can be a great first introduction to hostelling! We hope you try our other locations in downtown San Diego, Hollywood and San Francisco as well. The departure survey you receive direct from us will have a discount coupon you can use at one of our other hostels. Happy Travels.

The hostel is going under renovations. Which was good and not so good. The room I stayed in was new and clean. Which is always nice in hostels. However the construction work starting early in the morning downstairs was not the best. I will easily stay there again. It was worth it. Really nice people and facilities. Loved the pancakes!!

• 10th Jun 2015

Thanks. The major part of the reno is now completed and you'll find the hostel to be more comfortable now. But we see that we didn't scare you away - so please come by soon! We've a new FREE shuttle to the Zoo, SeaWorld and Downtown now - we even do one airport drop off a day! And, we've a bunch of new activities we are trying out as well.

The hostel is currently going through some renovations which, when it is all cotes, the hostel is going to look amazing. It would've been nice if when I booked the hostel, to know of the works taking place as it was very loud during the day. But I can't wait until it's all finished. I will be back at the hostel to see it when it's complete. I can't wait to see.

• 8th Jun 2015
  • Northern Ireland

We understand your position on this and heard you and have adding information about the renovation to our confirmation letters. Since your stay, we've made tremendous progress and the entire building now looks like a hostel once again, so anyone staying with us now should not experience any discomfort. All guests are in brand new rooms, with new beds and pillow top mattresses. And, we've a new FREE shuttle we just started to get to the favorite tourist sites. So, please do come back soon!

This hostel is right in the middle of having the entire bottom floor renovated, the work starts at 8AM and finishes at 4PM so expect loud banging and drilling every single morning waking you up. There was nothing about this when I booked and they haven't lowered their prices to reflect the inconvenience (kitchen tends to close down sometimes too meaning you can't cook, also tons of workmen everywhere) Staff very nice though & fun free activities, good location but absolute rip off for the price.

We're sorry the renovation affected your stay so much. We are informing guests now in our confirmation letter about the construction, however since your stay, much has changed and it's much quieter now. We hope you will give us another chance in the future.

I would recommend this place to anyone traveling by themselves because there are so many opportunities to meet people and make new friends! The staff was very friendly and held multiple events everyday that lots of people went to such as a bonfire, soccer, yoga, and a pub crawl. It was very clean and I absolutely felt safe staying here. The location is great too, very close to the beach!

• 31st May 2015

I loved staying at Oceanbeach Hostel and loved the location... I even went back for my last night in San Diego. The neighbourhood is awesome, with a Farmer's market every Wednesdays, the beach 2 steps away, 2 bus lines another 2 couple of steps away, great food (great value) and bars nearby.. not to mention bonfire on the beach every night. The hostel was in renovation when I booked but it's well organized and it didn't bother me at all. The staff is very helpful and offer bike rental rebates.

staff were helpful but the guy doing the limo tour to Hollywood was way too stressed for a party night

Very nice and rooms recently renovated.

Renovations were going on in the hostel without prior notice.

Kenda who works there as one of the daily staff is amazing! She is very nice and a s a local she will give u the info from A to Z

I have been travelling for 9 months and this is one of the friendliest places I have stayed. The staff were extremely friendly, knowledgeable and very helpful. Great atmosphere too. Negatives - building work going on - but that will only improve the place and not enough room for bags in the 6 bed dorm I stayed in.

Although the hostel was partly under construction while I was staying there, it was the best experience I've ever had at a hostel. The location was awesome; the people were awesome! There's so much going on, including loads of activities organized by the hostel, like, beer pong, pub crawls, cooking session, bike tours, to name but a few. There are plenty of music instruments and enough space to hang out and meet new people. I really had a blast and I'm so grateful to all my new friends who made

• 6th May 2015
  • Austria

Should get speakers for the courtyard and do more group activities

the place was amazing, staff was very friendly, the hostel management is looking forward to make you have great time in the city more than caring about money taking into consideration that that the value for the money paid is really amazing. I loved that the place organized activities to the guests, all the hostel staff were very helpful and have great knowledge of what the guest needs from the city. i would definitely recommend this place to anyone visiting san diego

• 18th Apr 2015
  • Egypt

Great staying! Nice front desk staff!

We arrived mid-construction at the hostel - which I would have loved to have known prior to booking, as it was a hot mess in there. There were dudes banging around all day/especially around the women's washroom which I felt was awkward. The staff were pleasant enough, but they seemed to care little for the abundance of noise that was coming from the people drinking outside my room at 2 am (even after I went to the front desk to sleepily complain). Nice location - expensive for mid-reno.

Thank you for your feedback. We know there have been some noisy days as we get our hostel getting back to looking great! We very much appreciate our guests patience and humor during the process. Quiet hours should be enforced after 11pm, so we'll be sure to remind staff of this policy. We hope you give us another try and come enjoy our location by the beach once the building is all buttoned up!

The OB hostel has improved over the years. and kenda and the rest ofthe staff were very good

An amazing location, cool vibes, but they let a homeless guy hangout in the kitchen and he asked us for alcohol and our credit card to use for a room at the hostel... But other than that blip I highly recommend!

Thanks for your overall great ratings and comments about our hostel. We are dismayed that you experienced a negative incident in our hostel as we work hard to make sure only guests are allowed in. As you know as a former guest, we check all keys for all guests entering the building. We are reviewing our procedures now to make sure that no non-guests get past reception. Happy Travels to you.

Great hostel! It's very close to Ocean beach which is nice, but I prefer the other beaches.