USA Hostels Ocean Beach Reviews

4961 Newport Ave., CA 92107, San Diego, USA

LOVED IT! So much fun great people and a great time.

• 24th Aug 2015

Lovely hostel very clean although work is being done. Excellent location wud love to go back. No large locker in room which was a bit of a pain but other than that plus free breakfast which is great.

This was by far the best Hostel I have stayed at so far! The staff are friendly and helpful, the location is superb and the vibe is awesome. I wish I could have stayed for longer! I will definitely be recommending this hostel to friends looking to travel back home (NZ ) and other travellers throughout my travels. Clean and comfortable living, the renovations were the only downside but it did not bother me one bit as the rooms block out the noise well and the outside living was a nice change :)

• 21st Aug 2015
  • New Zealand

You cannot fault the location as its right on the beach surrounded by bars and places to get food. The hostel is currently undergoing renovation and I'm sure will be beautiful when finished. There are currently not enough bathrooms for guest which can leave you waiting for up to half an hour to go to the toilet. Not ideal! The bathrooms are absolutely filthy. It's disgusting. I'm sure this will change when more are built. Great breakfast, atmosphere and social activities. Shame about the dirt.

I loved the location! the staff was very friendly and excited to help in any way they could. The hostel promoted events that encouraged everyone to meet and get along. The site is undergoing renovation during the week. construction can make the location a little hectic at times. I would strongly recommend this hostel

A great hostel with a good atmosphere, social activities every day, friendly staff and very clean facilities (the staff cleaned the dorms and bathrooms every day!). Even though the hostel is under renovation at the moment it was a plesant stay with new, modern facilities. I give my highest recommendations and I would definitely come back one day.

Awesome! Just wish it wasn't undergoing construction. I will be back for sure !!

• 3rd Aug 2015

Excellent atmosphere, very friendly staff. It would have been good to know that there were ongoing construction works before we booked our trip.

• 2nd Aug 2015

Amazing hostel with perfect location, staff and culture. Would recommend paying the extra few dollars to get a dorm with a restroom in it only because there are 3 public restrooms and the lines can get quite long.

I really like it

• 25th Jul 2015

Very nice place and had a good stay. My only issues were that there was not enough restrooms for the number of guests and the room was very hot at night. I understand it is San Diego, but in a small room with 5 other people it still gets warm. Place was clean for the most part, the bathrooms could use more attention thru the day.

• 24th Jul 2015

Amazing stay, what a chill place...only issue I had was the construction but the free earplugs at reception helped!

Loved my stay there. One of the best places iv stayed at. The people and the atmosphere is awesome. Would stay again in definitely.

• 7th Jul 2015

We stayed at the hostel for a few days right before ComicCon was taking place in San Diego. Unfortunately there was a lot of construction going on at the hostel. It was so loud, you couldn't sleep longer than 8am by any chance. Also there were only two bathrooms available for the whole hostel. For the price we paid, I expected a little bit more. What was really nice though was that they offered free beers the night they had the beerpong tournament. Also the staff was really nice.

• 5th Jul 2015

Nice location, very close to the beach, helpful staff. The rooms have just been renovated so the beds were great.

This hostel has a great location and a lot of potential. However, some areas were left lacking. It feels like a corporation owns it (corporate t shirts, merchandise, standardization of facilities, lack of art/music) - which I felt negatively affected the overall atmosphere. The common area was awkward and somewhat unused as a result. Security and cleanliness were great. The kitchen was understocked and locked after ten pm - which can be inconvenient. I prefer the ITH downtown for socializing.

Thanks for your feedback. We had changed the name of the hostel the day before your review and just given the staff all shirts - which are tie dyed. Perhaps it was just how new they were! We are just completing an upgrade and have not yet put new décor in the hallways, but have some fun, beach-y fun things planned. Our patio common area is usually packed with guests and we hold a number of activities there including BBQs, yoga class and family dinners. ITH is fun too, but not at the beach!

This was my first stay in a hostel and I would stay here before I would consider a hotel. This was a great experience.

That's awesome! We love it when we can be a great first introduction to hostelling! We hope you try our other locations in downtown San Diego, Hollywood and San Francisco as well. The departure survey you receive direct from us will have a discount coupon you can use at one of our other hostels. Happy Travels.

was being renovated when we were there but will be a brilliant hostel when finished!!! great location!

The hostel is going under renovations. Which was good and not so good. The room I stayed in was new and clean. Which is always nice in hostels. However the construction work starting early in the morning downstairs was not the best. I will easily stay there again. It was worth it. Really nice people and facilities. Loved the pancakes!!

• 10th Jun 2015

Thanks. The major part of the reno is now completed and you'll find the hostel to be more comfortable now. But we see that we didn't scare you away - so please come by soon! We've a new FREE shuttle to the Zoo, SeaWorld and Downtown now - we even do one airport drop off a day! And, we've a bunch of new activities we are trying out as well.

The hostel is currently going through some renovations which, when it is all cotes, the hostel is going to look amazing. It would've been nice if when I booked the hostel, to know of the works taking place as it was very loud during the day. But I can't wait until it's all finished. I will be back at the hostel to see it when it's complete. I can't wait to see.

• 8th Jun 2015
  • Northern Ireland

We understand your position on this and heard you and have adding information about the renovation to our confirmation letters. Since your stay, we've made tremendous progress and the entire building now looks like a hostel once again, so anyone staying with us now should not experience any discomfort. All guests are in brand new rooms, with new beds and pillow top mattresses. And, we've a new FREE shuttle we just started to get to the favorite tourist sites. So, please do come back soon!