USA Hostels Ocean Beach Reviews

4961 Newport Ave., CA 92107, San Diego, USA

Very nice place and had a good stay. My only issues were that there was not enough restrooms for the number of guests and the room was very hot at night. I understand it is San Diego, but in a small room with 5 other people it still gets warm. Place was clean for the most part, the bathrooms could use more attention thru the day.

• 24th Jul 2015

Amazing stay, what a chill place...only issue I had was the construction but the free earplugs at reception helped!

Loved my stay there. One of the best places iv stayed at. The people and the atmosphere is awesome. Would stay again in definitely.

• 7th Jul 2015

We stayed at the hostel for a few days right before ComicCon was taking place in San Diego. Unfortunately there was a lot of construction going on at the hostel. It was so loud, you couldn't sleep longer than 8am by any chance. Also there were only two bathrooms available for the whole hostel. For the price we paid, I expected a little bit more. What was really nice though was that they offered free beers the night they had the beerpong tournament. Also the staff was really nice.

• 5th Jul 2015

Nice location, very close to the beach, helpful staff. The rooms have just been renovated so the beds were great.

This hostel has a great location and a lot of potential. However, some areas were left lacking. It feels like a corporation owns it (corporate t shirts, merchandise, standardization of facilities, lack of art/music) - which I felt negatively affected the overall atmosphere. The common area was awkward and somewhat unused as a result. Security and cleanliness were great. The kitchen was understocked and locked after ten pm - which can be inconvenient. I prefer the ITH downtown for socializing.

Thanks for your feedback. We had changed the name of the hostel the day before your review and just given the staff all shirts - which are tie dyed. Perhaps it was just how new they were! We are just completing an upgrade and have not yet put new décor in the hallways, but have some fun, beach-y fun things planned. Our patio common area is usually packed with guests and we hold a number of activities there including BBQs, yoga class and family dinners. ITH is fun too, but not at the beach!

This was my first stay in a hostel and I would stay here before I would consider a hotel. This was a great experience.

That's awesome! We love it when we can be a great first introduction to hostelling! We hope you try our other locations in downtown San Diego, Hollywood and San Francisco as well. The departure survey you receive direct from us will have a discount coupon you can use at one of our other hostels. Happy Travels.

was being renovated when we were there but will be a brilliant hostel when finished!!! great location!

The hostel is going under renovations. Which was good and not so good. The room I stayed in was new and clean. Which is always nice in hostels. However the construction work starting early in the morning downstairs was not the best. I will easily stay there again. It was worth it. Really nice people and facilities. Loved the pancakes!!

• 10th Jun 2015

Thanks. The major part of the reno is now completed and you'll find the hostel to be more comfortable now. But we see that we didn't scare you away - so please come by soon! We've a new FREE shuttle to the Zoo, SeaWorld and Downtown now - we even do one airport drop off a day! And, we've a bunch of new activities we are trying out as well.

The hostel is currently going through some renovations which, when it is all cotes, the hostel is going to look amazing. It would've been nice if when I booked the hostel, to know of the works taking place as it was very loud during the day. But I can't wait until it's all finished. I will be back at the hostel to see it when it's complete. I can't wait to see.

• 8th Jun 2015
  • Northern Ireland

We understand your position on this and heard you and have adding information about the renovation to our confirmation letters. Since your stay, we've made tremendous progress and the entire building now looks like a hostel once again, so anyone staying with us now should not experience any discomfort. All guests are in brand new rooms, with new beds and pillow top mattresses. And, we've a new FREE shuttle we just started to get to the favorite tourist sites. So, please do come back soon!

Renovations during our stay was the only thing that let it down.

This hostel is right in the middle of having the entire bottom floor renovated, the work starts at 8AM and finishes at 4PM so expect loud banging and drilling every single morning waking you up. There was nothing about this when I booked and they haven't lowered their prices to reflect the inconvenience (kitchen tends to close down sometimes too meaning you can't cook, also tons of workmen everywhere) Staff very nice though & fun free activities, good location but absolute rip off for the price.

We're sorry the renovation affected your stay so much. We are informing guests now in our confirmation letter about the construction, however since your stay, much has changed and it's much quieter now. We hope you will give us another chance in the future.

I would recommend this place to anyone traveling by themselves because there are so many opportunities to meet people and make new friends! The staff was very friendly and held multiple events everyday that lots of people went to such as a bonfire, soccer, yoga, and a pub crawl. It was very clean and I absolutely felt safe staying here. The location is great too, very close to the beach!

• 31st May 2015

I loved staying at Oceanbeach Hostel and loved the location... I even went back for my last night in San Diego. The neighbourhood is awesome, with a Farmer's market every Wednesdays, the beach 2 steps away, 2 bus lines another 2 couple of steps away, great food (great value) and bars nearby.. not to mention bonfire on the beach every night. The hostel was in renovation when I booked but it's well organized and it didn't bother me at all. The staff is very helpful and offer bike rental rebates.

staff were helpful but the guy doing the limo tour to Hollywood was way too stressed for a party night

Very nice and rooms recently renovated.

Cleaner than most hotel's I've been too. Cool looking place right next to the beach, just not much of an atmosphere while I was there. Staff were ok, but not as awesome as at most other hostels I've stayed at.

Renovations were going on in the hostel without prior notice.

Kenda who works there as one of the daily staff is amazing! She is very nice and a s a local she will give u the info from A to Z

I have been travelling for 9 months and this is one of the friendliest places I have stayed. The staff were extremely friendly, knowledgeable and very helpful. Great atmosphere too. Negatives - building work going on - but that will only improve the place and not enough room for bags in the 6 bed dorm I stayed in.