USA Hostels San Diego Reviews

726 5th Avenue, San Diego CA, San Diego, USA

An amazing hostel with a great vibe, wonderful location and friendly staff. The hostel looks great, the privacy pods are really helpful to use and charge your electronics, it is very clean and the breakfast is good too. It was my friends' first stay in a hostel and they had their doubts, but both had a great experience!

We love it when we can give first time hostellers a great experience! Thanks for the kind comments - we hope you and your friends try out our other hostels at the beach in San Diego, Hollywood and San Francisco.

I loved staying at this hostel for the weekend. Good atmosphere, nice staff, people and nice rooms. The only negative thing was that our room didn't have air conditioning... Very barm nights, but still a good stay :)

• 18th Sep 2015
  • Norway

Thanks for your comments and glad you had a great stay...we are working on the a/c....it's not usually hot at night in San Diego, but this summer was unusual and we're going to be adding some ventilation soon.

A fantastic Place to stay.. very clean, friendly staff , nice atmosphere, good breakfast..

Thanks for the high five! Happy Travels.

Excellent location in the center of the Gas Lamp Quarter. Easy access to public transportation to San Diego’s main points of interest and the airport. Besides the practicality, I truly enjoyed the fun vibe of this hostel.

Awesome! Thanks so much for the great review. We're glad you enjoyed the vibe and hope to see you back again...or if you want a beach experience, try our newest location in Ocean Beach just a few miles away.

very nice and clean with great aircon!!! everyone was very friendly and had great events on every night.

I had a great stay at the hostel, always something to do every evening, staff are very helpful and friendly and the facilities are great. I really enjoyed my time here and would defiantly come back.

Very nice hostel, great location in gaslamp quarter, lots of restaurants/bars in walking distance, clean bathrooms, great staff, free shuttle that get you straight to ocean beach. There's no AC inside the room, so it can get really hot even during the night. Overall, great hostel and I would totally reccomend it.

Great location, but there a quite a few steep steps to get up to the rooms, so be warned! Free breakfast is good, and free dinner nights are even better! Somewhat limited number of showers (3 per floor) so just be prepared to wait at peak times. All in all, would stay here again!

The staff are great, very helpful and knowledgeable. Loads to do from the hostel itself, including a free shuttle to Ocean Beach which was great. Reviews said it could be loud but we had no issues with this, they play music in the morning from about 8am but we were awake anyway. Bathrooms were always available, amazing decor and atmosphere, would definitely come again.

Great location with lots of cool bars and restaurants around. Not a far walk to the USS midway and easy to get around to where you need to go on public transport. Clean Hostel and staff are very helpful when asking how to get places and ideas on what to do. Have good nights such as pub crawl or taco tuesdays. Only down side was the common room area is pretty small but besides good hostel!

You can get a fair reflection from the other reviews. It's a very hot and humid building and the rooms never cool down which makes it a pain when you want a break from the outside heat. My room was very noisy and makes an early night almost impossible. Good clean toilet and bathroom facilities. As a lone traveller the activities listed were good, but there wasn't enough emphasis placed upon joining in the group activity.

• 28th Aug 2015

Having now stayed at USA Hostels and HI Hostels in San Diego, I can definitely tell that USA is the party hostel of the two. The staff were friendly, everything was clean and secure, and there were plenty of activities. The difference was simply in the guests; at USA Hostels they seemed to be in their early 20s and more eager to go out to the bars, and at HI they seemed to be in their later 20s and more focused on daytime adventures and networking. Both are great hostels!

Friendly, very helpful staff.

Really enjoyed my stay here! Would happily come back again for even longer !

Great location in the gaslamp district and cheapest hostel I could find that was actually clean. They clean the bathrooms multiple times a day. Staff can help you with anything you need and figuring out where to go and how to get there. Free breakfast, make it yourself in the kitchen. Fridge and shelves to store food you buy - but be weary of thieves. Locker in the bedroom to store your stuff, and my particular room had 3 bunk beds but didn't feel crowded. A.c. and laundry too!

• 24th Aug 2015

It was a nice and clean hostel. The people working there was sweet and helpful. I'd stay there again.

Bathrooms coed with individual showers and toilets--very crowded in the morning. Wifi good enough. Kitchen usable but a little awkward. Good info on what to do as well as hostel hosted events in the evenings. Location is ideal. Not particularly cheap, but I would stay here again.

This was my first Hostel experience and I am 50 years old. I was uncomfortable at first thought of staying in a Hostel. I felt I was too old, too American, wouldn't fit in, but the staff and the other guest (mostly foreign) were all so nice and accepting and there were even a few other older guys like me who were there. I had a great time and loved the happy hour meet n greet. I met some really awesome people, shared some stories and felt welcomed. I would definitely stay here againe

Great fun. One of the few hostels in the USA where you actually get to meet people to hang out with. The hostel manager really cares for the feedback of the customers and you notice that, it's a great place! Also very clean, comfy beds, lockers, good breakfast and great location (if you mind noise though, be aware that some rooms face the bar district).

Really great hostel, excellent location right in the centre of town. No parking but we were advised by the chap on reception our best options. Room was good with power points at beds, spacious lockers and comfortable beds. Good bathrooms, could do with more showers perhaps? Good atmosphere and plenty of people to meet and socialise with - seemed there was lots on. Felt very secure. Great staff who were always available for advice, and free breakfast - ideal. Would stay here again when in SD.