Uenuku lodge Reviews

217 Ponsonby road, Ponsonby, Auckland, New Zealand

Ok hostel with very friendly staff. Stayed in a dorm that had windows to the hallway so light could enter the room (and my face) during the night (provided curtains where to short). Kitchen was small but there was seating area outside that was nice.

The staff was friendly and the hostel had lots of personality and a nice community feel to it. It's much farther out from the city than the map on hostelworld would lead you to believe (check Google maps first!)

The young lady who checked me in was very polite and helpful, showing me to my room and answering all of the questions I posed to her. The room was well laid out, the bed was very comfortable and it was useful having a sink in there to as the toilet/shower room was very small with a distinct lack of space and the light switch was temperamental, probably just a lose wire that needs replacing. My only real gripe was with the WiFi which was painfully slow and I gave up on it in end.

Great stay here. Lovely staff.

This hostel is in an excellent location in the vibrant Ponsonby road and 20 minutes walk away from the CBD. The price is reasonable compared to other hostels in Auckland. What you get is super nice staff and free on-site parking. But you also get a bit run down place, a way too small kitchen which then is crowded and dirty quite quickly. Also the garden invites a lot of people to party the whole night. If you get nothing else it's a place to stay for a night. Don't expect any relaxation.

• 18th Jan 2014

best hostel in auckland .staff very helpfull always smiling .Really work hard to keep that place clean.free unlimited wi fi is very rare.

• 10th Dec 2013
  • South Korea

Bed was dirty, hostel was old and needs a renovation, ther were flies everywhere while we were having breakfast, because the rubbish was right next to the tables, they had not enough space in fridges or in the lounge (like sofas)

We chose this hostel as the picture of the room on Hostel World looked almost like a hotel (crisp clean linen and stylish furniture). We were disappointed with our room because although we paid over $60 for a private superior room, it was shabby and in need of updating. The bed however was clean and very comfortable. The hostel was mostly very quiet apart from some very loud plumbing noises every time someone used the toilet next to our room which was quite annoying. The kitchen is also small.

Good Stay!

• 21st Jun 2013
  • New Zealand
  • Couple, 41+

free WiFi! Mail Service! helpful staff, ...no real complaints...recommend...

Living room smelled like a combination of cigarettes and feet. Ok atmosphere- people keep to themselves a bit here. The staff is pretty helpful though. And when I say helpful they won't tell you things to do or what's in the neighborhood but if you have an issue with your room or something in and around the hostel they're pretty good. I wouldn't recommend and probably won't stay here again

• 12th Mar 2013

the personnel and owner were more than friendly as they offered to us the sheets to use in the camper van we had just rented very nice stay and the facilities were great, our room was just a bit too smaller but the others looked great

• 12th Feb 2013
  • Couple, 41+

Our experience of the hostel was very good. Exactly what we need on our arrival in Auckland. The staff were very helpful and efficient and all facilities were easy to use and well maintained.

• 27th Dec 2012

A nice start to my vacation in New Zealand.

• 8th Dec 2012

My room was fine, clean, but needed a heater at night, which the front desk gladly gave me. The laundry area could be cleaned and improved.

• 13th Nov 2012

The staff barely spoke any English - they didnt offer any help or tips - even a local map! There was no towel provided and the shared shower room was old and dirtly. I stayed one night and could not wait to leave. Threadbare carpets in the living room, dirty chairs and my pillow stank of stale sweat - someone elses not mine! I would not recommend it to anyone. I am now at Ponsonby Backpacker Hostel five minutes down the road and it is a million times superior and a really great place to sta

Really awful, more like a halfway house than a hostel. Only one of the two tiny upstairs showers was worth using. Nothing in the place is new or modern. We booked and paid for two separate stays and on our return wish we hadn't as were placed in a less than satisfactory room compared to our only 'ok' first room. The area's really nice much nicer (and safer) than the city YHA [which is why we chose Uenuku] so I'm guessing this is the last of the poorly run backpackers here. Refurb needed.

The only positive thing we can say, is that we had water in our room. There was nothing nice in the livingroom and too expensive.

This hostel is quite far from the center of the town, but have a wonderful connection with the airport. Besides, it is situated in the designers' street with lots of excellent bars and cafes. The staff is very friendly and helpful, i really enjoyed my staying with them and can recommend it to others.

it's nice area if you like being not so much in the centre, great coffe shops, desing shops, etc, nice street and view over city; but if you need to be in the cebtr - a bit far away; but of course there is a bus next to the hostel door to the centre, costs 1,80 pp; besides that ALL OK, I can reccomend it