Ujamaa Hostel Reviews

PO Box 16613, Arusha, Tanzania

Really nice hostel with friendly staff. Great free food and good wifi service ($1 a day). Great setup and volunteering available.

The hostel owner was warm and inviting. He picked us up from the airport and was extremely patient as we straightened out some Visa issues with immigration officials. Breakfast and dinner was served each day, and the meals were excellent. The hostel is clean and safe, although it is a located out of the center of town. Rides around town were always easy to set up though, so the location shouldn't be a concern. Neither bad nor good, but lots of people use this hostel for long term stays.

Really friendly, nice food with evening meal included, easygoing. We liked the tortoises! Having said this, it didn't seem like they'd received the booking from hostel world when we arrived, so it might be better to contact them directly after booking.

Loved our stay there! Great people, great food, you don't want to leave again :-) I had paid the stay on beforehand via Paypal, but I had already forgotten about it, so I pad again in cash. When I realized it was already a week later. I contacted the hostel and they re-credited me via Paypal immediately. Very honest, thanks a lot!

Unfortunaly the $7.00 dollars a day charges for keeping a bag for the time U go to a safari trip are ridiculous 5 days on a safari means extra $35.00 dollars in top of the $3.00 for Internet uses ????? This supposed to be a budget accommodation but U get charge to breath . The ladies preparing the food were nice and the food tasti .

Excellent hostel, thank you so much for helping me arrange my Kili climb. Sorry I couldn't stay longer!

Just a great great place to stay!! I even decided to stay longer.

• 1st Sep 2013

Friendly and clean. It's out of Dar es Salaams main city which was nice and quiet. They organised airport transfers which was great. We loved our time here.

I really enjoyed my stay at Ujamaa Hostel. Ujamaa Hostel has a local atmosphere as it is located a few hundred meters away from the city centre and caters for both volunteers and tourists. The staff were very friendly and helped me organise a safari. It also enjoyed that both breakfast and dinner was included in the price, as living costs in Arusha are quite high compared to Tanzanian standards.

We arrived in the evening and I booked a private room because we travelled all day and the next day we would go on a safaritrip and we wanted to have a good night sleep. When we arrived we had to wait long before anyone told us they did not expect us, we were dirty, hungry and tired and we were left standing in the livingroom with all our bags and nowone told us what was going on. Later they told us there were only sleepingplaces in 2 seperat dorms, so we could not even sleep in the same room!

• 8th Mar 2013

Stayed in Ujamaa Hostel for three nights last December (better late than never to submit a review!). My stay in Ujamaa was extremely pleasant and I will always remember this place. At first it was a little strange to meet the volunteers that actually live there but after a couple of hours it was just nice. Dorms, kitchen, bathrooms, living-room, meals....everything excellent and the staff was really friendly and helpful. Location not good at night time but just go home before it gets dark! :)

Fantastic stay at Ujamaa! Friendly, welcoming staff and really good food. Good mix of people staying for either months or just a couple of nights. Would definitely recommend.

• 22nd Sep 2012

The hostel was adequate. My travel companion and I were only there for about 10hrs and spent most of them sleeping. We did not see the hostel during the light of day.

• 6th Sep 2012

At Ujamaa we stayed two nights in the private double room, and then one night in the large dormitory. As soon as we arrived the staff and some of the longer-term residents were very helpful and welcoming, and a delicious dinner was waiting for us on the table. The atmosphere is very friendly, with good meals provided twice a day, and a fridge full of cheap drinks. I would definitely stay there again.

Ujamaa is mostly used by people who do volenteer work. Just stopping by for a couple of days may feel a bit strange, cause everybody knows eachother very well. You'll meet a lot of nice people though. The ladies who does the cooking, cleaning and laundry is very friendly. But the lady who actually owns and runs the place is never there. Luckily there's many who have stayed in Arusha for a while. They give you plenty of advise. It's an ok place for a few nights.

Great place, included dinner in the price. Free washing of clothes.. Really nice staff, relaxed atmosphere. This can not be wrong.. Some long time guest makes the vibe good too.

As soon as you walk into the Ujamaa feels you are waking into someone's house, and that homey feeling was very nice to experience after a year of travels. This is the place of choice for volunteers and people staying for a long time in Arusha. I felt the place is safe, clean and although is 10 blocks from the center of town, I would recommend it. Tip: when you arrive in arusha take a taxi to this place, tell them to go down "Fire Road", otherwise is hard to find the first time.

It was a very nice hostel, it was basic but it was clean. i would suggest that they clean the communal places as things were beginning to smell due to heat/sweat/dust and random bits. The thing that stood out for me was how friendly the people were, the general atomsphere was very chilled and relaxed people were keen on hanging out with one another but at the same time independent when they wanted to be. One improvement- the hot shower situation!

Ujumaa is set up for long term guests. I think it would be a wonderful location for anyone looking for a place to stay longer term in Arusha (i.e. for a summer program, etc.). As a short term guest the location is not very convenient. It required calling taxis to pick you up and was generally pretty isolated. The rooms were clean, dinner provided and the location was beautiful. Staff were friendly and can help you arrange many different volunteer opportunities. A great location if you are looking for a laid

You cant expect much in Arusha by way of creature comforts - WIFI, permenant electricity etc. after all, TIA. That said, the staff make up for it with friendliness in abundance and dinner and breakfast included this place is hard to pass up. We were only there for a night (a minority considering the many people staying there volunteering around the area) but we had a wonderful time. Warm showers and comfortable beds.