Ukelele Hostel Reviews

Maldonado 1183, Montevideo, Uruguay

I really liked this hostel! The guy on reception was super nice, it was really clean and it felt more like someone's home rather than a hostel. It was really quiet when we were there but I imagine there's a lot more atmosphere in high season. I personally wouldn't stay in high season just because of the lack of bathrooms and showers. Our twin room was small, but the living area downstairs was large and comfy. I would stay here again during the off peak months.

Nice hostel in an old family home, interesting architecture. Beds are small and a bit worn, but not a big problem. Staff are helpful and can give advise and directions. Breakfast was cereal, bread and jam. Bathrooms are large and showers are hot. Not too many people here at this time, but seems like a good place in busier times; bar area, music room, pool.

great building with awesomely-high ceilings. Plenty of places to hang out and play the ukelele. Not enough bathrooms. Can't even imagine it in high season as I always had to wait for a shower.

Such a lovely little spot, very clean and unique in its spaces. I certainly felt comfortable on the days I spent staying in and hanging about. There is an incredible little sitting spot in the back outside where you can drink in the sun and the house is filled with lovely little spots to sit. The staff was really helpful also!

Beautiful building in a nice area - almost feels like walking into someone's home. There is a nice lounge area for relaxing and they have a pet cat! The pool wasn't available to use when I was there but the pool area is nice. The breakfast is average, and they could use more bathrooms - I often had to wait outside to use the shower or toilet. Not a party hostel and no organised events, though staff recommended an excellent free waking tour!

Great hostel - relaxed but fun. Nice staff and lovely building. Could do with more bathrooms/toilets though!

Awesome building with crazily high ceilings

You must stay at this hostel if you go to Montevideo. All the staff are so nice and helpful. Everyone hangs out together for afew beers, plays music, its a great place. I am an old fogie and everyone still made me feel welcomed. The beds are super comfortable too and nice big rooms.

Hostel has a music room with a piano and a guitar, and a beautiful patio with a pool. Matze at the reception is very friendly and helpful. The house itself is amazing.

• 25th Mar 2015

We stayed in one of the double rooms which was really comfy, clean and nice! The rest of the hostel was really good too; nice kitchen, helpful staff, pretty, safe and relaxed environment, and it's clean everywhere. The only problem we had was that there was only 1 bathroom so sometimes you had to wait quite long before taking a shower. But overall its great! (If not a little too expensive for the private rooms)

One of the best hostels that I knew. Amazing people and staff. An old house very beautiful. Swimming pool !

Lovely big rooms, lovely staff, cute cat, nothing to complain about

The hostel has a good atmosphere, the pool area and music room are both cool places to hang out in. Breakfast was limited; only bread, one cereal and a small amount of fruit. The kitchen also got crowded when people wanted to cook in the evening. But the showers were really good so everything averaged itself out.

Gerar place to stay to meet people and relax in Montevideo! The property is huge and even has a swimming pool. Good location, one of my favorite hostels!

Cool place with a really good vibe. No ac in the rooms which isnt great when it's hot. Really cool old mansion but it is starting to fall apart. Not a problem when I stayed there but it's sad to see it falling apart. Leaky sinks, etc. location is good and staff were very friendly.

Loved this hostel, one of my favorites in South America. Would recommend and stay again! Ended up extending my stay almost immediately because I loved it so much.

Staff was very helpful, Vicky especially was lovely. Breakfast was decent. Kitchen very big! Lots of common areas, wifi worked in the bedrooms!! (Always a bonus). Very clean! Lack of working outlets a tad frustrating. Easily in walking distance to just about everything. We stayed 5 nights and really enjoyed it.

The doors to the doors are barely closable and the rooms facing the street smells like fumes. The pool is not the cleanest and the breakfast is just toast and frosties. Not my favourite hostel.

I loved this hostel! So much so that I will definitely be returning for one more night as I pass back through Montevideo. The staff is super nice and helpful about recommendations both for things to do in Montevideo and what to do when you leave. I arrived alone but after two days felt like I had made friends with everyone else there. It's in a beautiful building with lots of natural wood and high ceilings creating a lovely environment for hanging out with all the cool people you meet.

• 24th Feb 2015

Only stayed one night as we were on the way up the coast, but definitely was a good place to explore Montevideo from. We were in a twelve man which was a decent size, nice pool and outdoor area, lots of common rooms downstairs. Breakfast was decent too. Shout out to Matias, really helpful guy on the desk who gave us loads of tips and helped us settle. May stay there again on the way back.

• 22nd Feb 2015