United Backpackers Reviews

250 Flinders Street, Melbourne, Australia

The room was way to small for the amount of people in it and we could barely fit our stuff. That also led to a weird smell all the time. The rest of the hostel was nice and clean. BYO which is nice. We did a pub-crawl and a city walk which was pretty nice.

Found a used bloody tampon in the corner of the communal shower, was pretty gross. Other than that was a good place to stay, good location, staff are friendly and helpful. And there's individual power points on each bed that are a bonus.

This hostel is well located (tram stop and metro station in front of the hostel), close to restaurants and markets. Also, the staff is very friendly and the atmosphere is nice. Definitely recommend this hostel and would stay there again.

• 10th Jul 2014

Couldn't have enjoyed my stay here more, and if I'm in Melbourne again I will absolutely be staying here. Friendly staff, frequent competitions with great prizes, fantastic atmosphere... You really can't beat it. My only complaint is that the shower temperature would fluctuate occasionally, but that didn't detract from my overall experience. 10/10 would backpack again.

• 10th Jul 2014

HI there! Thanks for leaving your feedback - what lovely things to say! I'm super glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. Hopefully you will get to come back and see us one day soon. Happy Travels, Jess - Operations Manager (ps: the hot water issue has now been addressed!)

I booked for 3 days, initially thinking I woukd find permanent accomodation quickly. I ended up staying almost 2 weeks and thoroughly enjoyed it. My only complaint, and it's a detail, is that wi-fi doesn't reach the rooms. Great staff, great atmosphere, would recommend 100%.

Was a good hostel!

Hello. Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback - we really appreciate it! Happy Travels (come and see us again soon!), Jess - Operations Manger - United Backpackers.

Very fun and social hostel. The shower temperature fluctuates on the 2nd floor a lot. Great tv room, nice staff. Location is excellent! Looking forward to seeing it with the basement bar they're building.

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to leave your thoughts - we really appreciate it! That pesky hot water problem has now been fixed and isn't a problem anymore! You certainly can't beat this location can you? Right in the heart of this amazing city, Happy Travels, Jess - Operations Manager - United Backpackers (we can't wait for the bar either! Won't be long now - you'll have to come back to visit...)

My first time saying in hostels and I loved it more than I thought I would. Kitchen facilities were great -female showers could do with having continuous hot water instead of Luke warm. Chill out cinema room was fab but can get bit smelly! I visited 6/8 diff Melbs hostel but before deciding on this one-will defo go back

• 26th Jun 2014

Hi there and thanks for leaving your feedback. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us we look forward to having you back to stay again! You're right. there was a problem with the hot water - the good news is that this has now been fixed. We love our super awesome Tv room too. Happy travels, Jess - Operations Manager - United Backpackers.

i think the wifi coverage should cover all the accomadation area.

• 24th Jun 2014
  • Malaysia

Hi there - thanks for leaving your feedback - at the moment the wifi is available in the communal areas only - we want to make sure people are getting out of their rooms and exploring this amazing city, not staying in bed on the internet all day! Happy Travels - Jess - Operations Manager - United Backpackers

Awesome week.

Hi Yannik - thanks for staying with us! We hope to see you again soon :) Happy Travels, Jess - Operations Manager

I loved the atmosphere! Very clean, the staff is amazing! I would love to stay here again sometime!

• 23rd Jun 2014
  • Israel

Hello! Thanks so much for your kind words and taking the time to leave them. We hope to see you back at United one day very soon! Safe Travels, Jess, Operations Manager

Perfect location, great staff, plenty of hostel organised fun and comfy big beds. Only downside was that the wifi was pretty slow, the bunk beds while comfortable were extremely creaky and the rooms weren't really cleaned thoroughly. That being said, still an excellent hostel.

• 17th Jun 2014

Hello! Thanks for leaving your feedback - I'm glad to hear there was lots you loved about your stay! I think we have the comfiest beds in the busy - if you had come to tell us about the squeak we could have fixed it for you! Yep the wifi can get jammed up sometimes, especially at peak hours. I'm sorry to hear you didn't feel the room was cleaned thoroughly - our housekeepers work around the clock to ensure the place is kept spick and span and all rooms are serviced daily. Happy Travels, Jess

didn't have long enough in this lovely city. Hostel was close to everything and quiet were I was but plenty of people and noise if you wanted it.

Hello there - there is NEVER enough time to be spent here in amazing Melbourne! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed our incredible city and your time at United. Happy Travels, Jess - Operations Manager

This was a nice hostel, conveniently located opposite Flinders Street station, close to the shops and by the MCG. Beds were comfortable and the kitchen was very clean and tidy, almost too clean and tidy. The staff could probably relax a bit about the state of the hostel as you cannot leave anything lying about/leave washing up to dry before you are told to clear it up. But the staff will go out of their way to help you should you need to make any bookings.

Hello there - thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback! I'm glad to hear there was lots you loved about your stay. I've never heard anyone say that we were too clean or tidy! As you can imagine, with 250 guests it's important to stay on top of the cleaning in our communal spaces and in rooms! You really can't beat this location can you?! Our staff will always go above and beyond to ensure that you make the absolute most of your time in this amazing city! Happy Travels Jess :)

Excellent location - opposite Flinder's Street Station. Clean environment. Personal light and charging points at each bed. Large kitchen and tv room. Friendly and helpful staff. Would definitely choose this place again Thank you for making my stay this pleasant! :)

And thank you so much for choosing to stay with us! Hopefully you will get to come back and see us again soon. Happy Travels, Jess - Operations Manager

I enjoyed my stay at United Backpackers. Hard to think of a better location to stay in Melbourne, well designed and clean facilities plus friendly and helpful staff. Only reservations were about the beds - great mattresses, but the design does make them tend to creak and wobble when occupants move around, and the underbed lockers aren't as good as they look in the photos. Not deep enough for my pack and the lip at the top is quite sharp. But these are minor quibbles, overall excellent .

• 9th Jun 2014

Hello there - thanks so much for taking the time to leave your feedback - you're certainly right about our location and we work hard to provide the best service and experience possible! When beds creak or wobble it means that they are due for tightening - we do this at least once a month, but if you come to see us at reception we can do it then and there! Hopefully we will see you again one day at United :) Happy Travels Jess - Operations Manager

It's a nice hostel overall, they don't even allow food or drinks in the room, which provides very good cleanliness in almost everywhere... but just someone in your shared room may eat chips when everyone slept already, or the sound of door opening and shutting either at night time, mid-night or in the dawn time can make you feel like those sound is from underneath your bed... so with all these kinds of sounds, I didn't have good sleep in this hostel at all...

Hello there - thanks for leaving your feedback! We do our very best to provide amazing service and facilities (not to mention incredible housekeeping!) - but there are some things that we just don't have control over - like your room mates! Happy Travels Jess - Operations Manager

Best looking hostel i've ever been to. It is very new and the location is excellent in the heart of the city. Facilities are great and staff is wonderful. I think it's less than a year old so everything is very new, Beds were amazing. Only downside was that the hostel didn't have a very outgoing vibe because of the free wifi (yes that is a downside haha) and the 'too comfy tv-room'. I'd recommend a couple more activities. Hostel really makes you feel like home, it's very comfy!

Hello there - thank you so much for your kind words about your stay with us! I'm really glad to hear that you enjoyed your time at United! You are right about the wifi - we can't win sometimes eh!? And I've never heard us described as TOO comfy - that's a great thing! ;) Hopefully you can come back and visit us again some day. Happy Travels, Jess - Operations Manager

excellent location, very clean and spacious, have your own bed light and socket next to your bed - awesome! might be a bit noisy if you r staying in the first floor coz its also where the kitchen and wifi available. Overall i enjoyed my stay in United!

Hello there - thank you for your kind words and thanks for staying with us! We hope to see you back again soon! Happy Travels, Jess - Operations Manager

Amazing location right next to flinders station and everything else u need . Super safe . Good travellers , and a few funny and cheeky red head staff. Awesome little place :)

• 31st May 2014

Hi there! Thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback, I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! You are certainly right about our incredible location - super central and close to all the best that Melbourne has to offer. Our cheeky Ginger Ninja is just one of our amazing staff members (I reckon we have the best in the business!). Happy Travels - we hope to see you back at United one day soon :) Jess - Operations Manager

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5