VLA Surry Hills Reviews

207 Cleveland Street, Redfern 2016, Sydney, Australia

I ve stayed at Alfred Park last year for a month and I did not even want to leave SO GOOD! This year I booked at VLA for 4 nights and it was not what I expected at all! different owner The toilets with no toilet paper after lunch time till next day. The NEW receptionists really unrespectful with every foreign (not fluent English speaker) The breakfast was good, the only thing was that it is from 7:30 till 9:30. But if you do not set up your alarm for 7:30 YOU GET NO brekkie , nothing left .

• 25th Sep 2015
  • Argentina

It's missing a living room/ common area . And the 4 bed doorms are way to small when it's fully booked there is no space to put your backpack / suitcase / stuff. Beside this, it is a nice hostel. Clean and friendly.

Was the second time I have stayed here and love it! Excellent location being so close to the train station and a shopping mall. Great kitchen with a supplied breakfast. Only down point was our room smelt of tobacco which they did warn us about and it had been aired but seeing as this was a non smoking hostel I would have expected either a different room or a discount.

• 29th Aug 2015
  • New Zealand

We stayed 4 nights at Alfred Park. The room was nice and newly renovated. But I would recommend to replace the whole staff. I would like to tell you every single moment where the staff was unfriendly and highly unprofessional but a 500 word limit is too less, please sent me an email if you should be interested. Even though it is "just a hostel", customer service should be available in hospitality. I would never recommend this hostel.

• 20th Aug 2015

I moved hostel during my month stay to Alfred Park. Things I liked about it - it was quite, non smoking, new mattresses, 5min walk to Central station, newly renovated toilets & good size commercial kitchen with enough gadgets to cook a meal. Less fond of no WiFi, old thin pillows & duvet. Moved rooms during my week stay due to painting the rooms. I was studying & commuting some way to my course so it suited me. Staff were helpful.

It wasn't a great stay. There is only 2 showers for the all hostel. The wifi was good and the room was correct with A/C and heater!!

Thank you for your feedback. We actually have 5 communal bathrooms for shared dorm rooms. Please think of us next time you're in Sydney. We loved having you! Alfred Park

Good location, good facilities and good for transport links. Walking distance to Sydney CBD. It is missing a "smokers corner" though, which most backpackers do have.

• 25th May 2015

Not horrible, nothing offensive.. but just pretty average.

Good, Good, Excellent, Good, Good, Excellent, Good.

The main problems here are the beds aren't great and there are limited lockers available and they are located in an outside common area. Otherwise it's OK.

I liked the location but the hostel was old and very cold to stay in. The toilets were clean but the kitchen is outside and there is only places to sit outside when you want to eat. There is not a common area and in general this hostel needs an update.

Really happy with my stay at Alfred Park. The staff are very friendly and helpful, there's a good atmosphere at the hostel and a decent sized kitchen and social area to eat your food. Unlike other hostels I've stayed at you get your bed linen included - a duvet, not just a sheet! And they even provide washing powder to do your laundry so you don't have to worry about going out and spending $10 on detergent your only use once or twice. Great location too, with lots of restaurants close by