VLA Surry Hills Reviews

207 Cleveland Street, Redfern 2016, Sydney, Australia

Well-kept, free breakfast and confortable beds. However, many visitors do not respect the cleanless of premises...

Plumbing needs repair. Inadequate fridge storage. Internet inadequate. Building needs some investment. Kitchen facilities and equipment inadequate - not enough cups, plates, clean tea towels. Great staff. Excellent location

• 22nd Jan 2016

The entire hostel is brand new and the beds are wide and big. The bathroom facilities were outstanding, generally the whole hostel grounds looked fantastic and most modern. Very good hostel, clearly recommended!

The hostel is centrally located and the staff is nice. But all the public areas especially the toilets, showers and kitchen is really dirty. Even the rooms were dirty and really cleaned.

The location is excellent, and the staff were helpful and considerate. The bathroom facilities are minimal, and there is not very much privacy. The kitchen was very dirty and unappealing. I would stay here again for the location and the value for the money.

• 7th Jan 2016

Staff were very rude and abrupt. If the staff were to be better and more helpful then your hostel would be a much better place to stay.

I lost my debit card travelling. Their website said they accepted paypal, so I booked a reservation and figured I'd be all right. When I got in a couple days later, they told me didn't take paypal and I had to rush around to find a local willing to do a cash swap. If I'd known, I would have had a couple days to figure something else out.

Our room did not look like the photos, there was cockroaches even in the kitchen!!!! We had a bathroom that was old and toilets were dirty, I asked for it to be cleaned but it hasn't. The guy that came to change the trash every morning didn't even knock the door. The staff in general was not very pleasant, hard to see a smile on them face (I don't even remember if it arrived!!). It was a bad experience to us. We will not go back there.

• 3rd Jan 2016

Quiet hostel, suitable for people who prefer that. However the staff are very rude and look down on you and don't seem very helpful.

• 2nd Jan 2016

We booked a room for 6 people, so all of us stay in a room. That means no one except us or the staffs can get into the room. One day we went back to the room and I found out that I missed a bag with $1900 in it. I checked the security camera and theres one guy who is the cleaning guy entered into our room. But the truth is he didnt tidy anything or empty the bin. The boss from the hostel said he wouldnt do anything because I couldnt prove that I really missed the money which is ridiculous!!

• 30th Dec 2015

No wifi is a issue (for the cost) Free is good. Some of the beds need updating (no ladders )

• 29th Dec 2015
  • Wales

We stayed here over New Year and the hostel provided a good base to get around Sydney. It was relatively clean, the staff were friendly and helpful and the kitchen was big enough for th amount of guests staying. Free breakfast was good and had variety. Only downside is the 24 hours of free wifi. We stayed for 10 nights so spent a lot on wifi, customers staying longer periods should be offered more than one session of WiFi.

We arrived at VLA & the bedroom was tiny (ensuite room) for a 6 bed dorm. The only free bunk was a top with no ladder. When I asked for a ladder from the girl on reception was rude and told me to just use a chair which I explained was again H&S. Finally a ladder was given. On the bed was a massive brown stain which definitely wasn't chocolate. The bathrooms are cleaned once a week and are covered in flies. The lockers take your money when you try and get something out. No atmosphere.

Had to ask for room to be hoovered and rubbish removed when arrived as dead cockroach on floor, and rubbish all over floor despite cleaners been in. Rooms only get hoovered once a week. Bathrooms 'cleaned' once a week. Cleaning consists of hosing them down. Reception staff rude and obnoxious. Kitchen unclean, cockroaches around and birds flying in and out. Only lockers they have have to be payed for, $2 every time it is opened.

• 27th Dec 2015

This hostel was fine for the price over Christmas period, it was also one of the only ones that didn't have a minimum nights stay. Location was fab! 10 min walk from central station and 30-40 mins to the city centre and the harbour etc. The bars/food places on crown street are also close by. Hostel could be a bit cleaner, cockroaches in the kitchen, and no curtains in my room. But overall fine! Not really much of an atmosphere but I managed to make a few friends. Good when you want to sleep.

Spent three nights here. A bit like being in a strict boarding school! Beds were comfy and rooms were nice and seecure. No use of kitchen or communal area after 10pm, so if you get back late you can't make yourself dinner. Toilets were pretty dirty but showers were nice. You get 24 hours of WiFi so if you're there for more than one night yoy hace to either save it, or buy more. First hostel I've stayed in that does that! Other than that, nice outdoor pool across the park and not far for trains

It wasn't the best hostel I've stayed on or the worst. It had a wired smell and the toilets were often dirty. The toilets were out of toilet paper a lot, It happens more than once. The kitchen was small but it was well equipped. The fridges was very small compared to the size of the hostel, and one morning one of them were out of order, so that was pretty bad. The free breakfast in the morning were really good compared to other places.

• 8th Dec 2015
  • Sweden

Awesome location, staff super friendly, breakfast incl., best hostel I've seen so far

I don't want to complain too much considering that this place is very affordable. I stayed for a week. However, the WiFi ($3 per day) kept going in and out. Also, I was on the ground floor and the ground floor has cockroaches crawling around at night. I was startled to find a big one on the ceiling one night. I quickly remedied the situation by placing a towel under the door to seal the door opening. The office staff is friendly and the free breakfast in the morning can't be beat.

• 2nd Dec 2015

I thought the quality of the showers were pretty good, which is normally a bit of an issue in hostels. As for cleanliness a little poor. When I first came into my room the carpet already needed a good hoover and the bathroom did too. (Which I must add that there was never any hand soap in the container. ) My room was standard, although the window that went out onto the coridor had light that always came in brightly into the room at night.... Not cool get a curtain man! For skylight too!

« first « Prev 1 2 3