VLA Surry Hills Reviews

207 Cleveland Street, Redfern 2016, Sydney, Australia

Very unclean. The toilets and showers were just hosed every morning and not cleaned properly. The room weren't cleaned often enough.

• 29th Nov 2015

You are only given 500mb 24hours of free wifi to use in 24 hours, after this you have pay, Don't bother paying as it is very poor and barely works. Its a very quiet hostel with no atmosphere, but good if you want to catch up on sleep. Bathrooms never felt like they were clean Free breakfast was a nice touch, but I free wifi would be better.

When I arrived at VLA Surrey hills we discovered we where in a room which appeared to have been a converted garage. though the rooms location was strange it had great air con and was relatively clean. Every other person in the room was also there as it was the only place with rooms available as Stereosonic was on. The breakfast was cheap and cheerful, no complaints!

It was a nice hostel, every morning a free breakfest, also close to the park

A nice non-party hostel. Nice beds and over all clean. You have to pay for wifi and the kitchen is closest during the night.

Cleanliness of dorms and communal bathroom and shower facilities extremely poor!

• 23rd Nov 2015

Very good hostel for the price. The staff is nice and efficient, this is not a huge hostel with loads of persons, lockers and Wi-Fi are good.

The hostel is good for a short stay or those on a budget, providing basic facilities and convenient location (close to central station). Staff are friendly and helpful and 24 hours free WiFi is provided upon check in. The hostel is relatively clean; however please note that this is not due to negligence from staff more so of fellow backpackers whom do not pick up after themselves.

I have never stayed in a hostel before so my review is compared against hotels (which is essentially not fair because they are are not one). I was there for a business conference so the location was good (walking distance to the conference). Its also located outside of Alfred park which is nice. Close walk to Central station which is easy access to the airport. Staff are really nice and very helpful. Room was plain with no water provided and towels were not changed on a daily basis. No bath mat.

• 29th Oct 2015

About the Alfred Park experience Good: If we stay more than 3 days, one way airport transfer charges $15 will be refunded Breakfast provided (Most of Hostel will not provide) Near/walkable to Central Station Hospitality good Bad: If we don’t check out before @10am, we need to pay AUD $50, which is more than 1 day stay price Even though, we stay more than 5 days, blankets and bedsheets will not be changed. No hand wash soap (As per my suggestion, Small things provided will make big changes)

I really enjoyed staying here, would be great if downstairs bathrooms were also renovated.

• 6th Oct 2015

The hostel is great because it's not too far from the city and it's not too expensive. My room was very small however, and I felt very cramped at times. There are different sized rooms.

• 5th Oct 2015

Average hostel, clean and basic as it is a working hostel, so obviously not much going on. But nice enough.

Great location. Just a few minutes walking to central station to get anywhere in Sydney.

• 3rd Oct 2015

Nice hostel, wifi isn't worth paying for. Nice spot opposite the park. A lot of roaches though.

I ve stayed at Alfred Park last year for a month and I did not even want to leave SO GOOD! This year I booked at VLA for 4 nights and it was not what I expected at all! different owner The toilets with no toilet paper after lunch time till next day. The NEW receptionists really unrespectful with every foreign (not fluent English speaker) The breakfast was good, the only thing was that it is from 7:30 till 9:30. But if you do not set up your alarm for 7:30 YOU GET NO brekkie , nothing left .

• 25th Sep 2015
  • Argentina

Place the security boxes in the rooms.

It's missing a living room/ common area . And the 4 bed doorms are way to small when it's fully booked there is no space to put your backpack / suitcase / stuff. Beside this, it is a nice hostel. Clean and friendly.

Was the second time I have stayed here and love it! Excellent location being so close to the train station and a shopping mall. Great kitchen with a supplied breakfast. Only down point was our room smelt of tobacco which they did warn us about and it had been aired but seeing as this was a non smoking hostel I would have expected either a different room or a discount.

• 29th Aug 2015
  • New Zealand

We stayed 4 nights at Alfred Park. The room was nice and newly renovated. But I would recommend to replace the whole staff. I would like to tell you every single moment where the staff was unfriendly and highly unprofessional but a 500 word limit is too less, please sent me an email if you should be interested. Even though it is "just a hostel", customer service should be available in hospitality. I would never recommend this hostel.

• 20th Aug 2015