Vallarta Sun Hostel Reviews

Francisca Rodriguez 169 COL. Emiliano Zapata, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

I couldn't even stay there. The girl's dorm was tiny, and with no window, there was no circulation, so it was very stuffy and close. My bunk would have been a top one, less than a foot from the overhead fan, which had to be on at all times because of the closeness and heat. The other option I had was to stay in another top bunk directly under the AC, which the girls had elected not to use because it made the room too cold. To their credit, they cheerfully gave me my money back.

• 8th Feb 2015

Bath towels can been rented as an extra, not stated in Hostel World profile. Bedroom doors are in the common area making sleep difficult due to noise. Tiny bathrooms make getting ready difficult. The advertised pool is NOT available to anyone at the hostel, it's for the upstairs hotel guests only. The jacuzzi didn't have a drop of water in it, so it was out of order. The manager along with fellow guests would roll joints inside and go smoke them outside. I'm sorry to say I won't be back.

Great location, staff friendly and helpful.

• 26th Jan 2015

Marco, I think he is either the manager or co-owner, knows everything. He speaks perfect Spanish and English. He goes out of his way to explain things to you. He will assist you so that you will enjoy your time there and help with future destinations. Rooms are cleaned daily. Large kitchen to cook in. Personal lockers are huge. Location is perfect as it is 2-3 blocks from bus stop, only 1.5 blocks from the beach and the los muertos pier. The lounge area is great for chilling or napping.

• 4th Jan 2015

One of the best hotels I've ever stayed in. Great atmosphere, nice rooms, good beds, nice showers. Offering a comfortable common area as well, including a ping pong tabel. Marco, one of the guys who works there, is awesome. Went out clubbing with us but he probably can't remember that night! ;) Would love to come back someday!

• 20th Dec 2014

I think the hostel is absolutely worth the price. The stuff is cool and easygoing and everytime helpful when we asked for recommendations for good and cheap food, beautiful beaches or daytrips. The atmospehre was great there as well. Rooms were clean and alright. Maybe a bit less space for suitcase, but sufficient. Good WiFi connection all the time and a common kitchen to buy, cool and cook your own stuff. A hostel I can recommend to 100 per cent! Hope I can head back some time... See you guys!

• 19th Dec 2014

My and and I stayed there. My friend is handicapped and found access to b poor for her. Knowing there isn't much that can b done about this it would have been nice to read about that on line.

• 30th Nov 2014

The Hostel is in a perfect location close to averything, the owner and the stuff are really friendly and helpfull, they made our stay! thank you guys!

I had a wonderful time at Sun Hostel. Marcos and Andreas who work there were very friendly and helpful Wonderful staff. The kitchen was excellent and the air conditioned dorms were a number one... but it would have been nice to have had an area where you could sit outside. Being located just two blocks north of the pier and in the heart of Puerto Vallarta it is a very convenient place to stay.. I had a great time there and would highly recommend it.

Great Location! Just a a few minutes from the beach and located in Zona Romantica

Good hostel, nice and clean and most amazingly they had aircon in the dorms! Unlike some of the other hostels in Vallarta. Staff were nice and helpful but not in your face, and the location was good, right next door to lots of cafes and restaurants (Thirsty Couga has great value Breakfast and dinners). Not too social though so if you're looking to meet people this might not be the place for you. Also the pool is no longer open to the hostel guests. Great for a good nights' sleep though.

The location is excellent (two blocks away from the beach and the muelle, where the water taxis depart for various islands) and Ricardo is a great host. The rest of the staff did not seem to know much with regards to recommendations but did try their best. Highlights are: location, the pool which you are allowed to use as a hostel guest too. Downside is a relatively small sized dormitorio in the cellar without any windows, damp rooms with mould but well ventilated and airconditioned from 8pm 8am

I liked the hostel. we stayed there three nights and would go there again. its not too far from the beach, the pool is really nice and everything was clean. Unfortunately our AC didnt work the last night, which made it almost impossible to sleep because of the heat. also the staff was not very helpful. most of the time the guy at the reception did not understand us, whether we tried in spanish or english. however, he was very flexible with our bookings, which was good.

An awesome place. We got the separate room and bathroom package- it was more like a hotel than a hostel, but with the convince of having a big kitchen. With our option we had the choice of being solitary in a hotel-like atmosphere or going down to mingle with other travelers. The view is awesome and it is a 2 minute walk from what I'd say is the best beach in the area. Really friendly staff too!!

• 28th Sep 2014

Thank you very much for the review, we are glad that you enjoyed your stay here with us, we have both atmospheres soem people can choose between relaxing or have a party. we hope that you can visit some time again.

It´s unfortunately one of these hostels where the dorms are located in the cellar without any windows. Therefore the dorms are without any daylight and when the door is closed they begin to smell very bad as the bathroom is also inside and all the humidity stays inside. The common areas area also in the cellar and this makes the atmosphere very poor. Only plus of this hostel is the small pool and that the location in Puerto Vallarta is ok. All in all I really can´t recommend this hostel.

Hola, Thank you for the review, I would like to point out that here in PV the weather at this time is very humid, that’s is because the rain, and well about the sun light I can’t do nothing about cloudy skies it’s just nature. You did notice the pool and our beautiful areas where in open space. Hopefully next time we can sit down and have a drink next to the pool.

I got there early and the rip me off 650 pesos for 3hrs that ibwas early. Plus it was full of a bunch of old people im talking grandpa's. I never even socialized with anyone in there cause there was no atmosphere all in all. The place sucks and i got robbed from the staff

Just to clarify your comment, you arrived at 2 am the night before of your actual booking and you were informed that if you wanted a room for that night you will be charged and you agreed, that´s how it works at any hostel or hotel in the world. Sorry if you felt that way, hope to see you again.

View all Puerto Vallarta Hostels