Vancouver Backpacker House Reviews

7020 Gray Ave Burnaby BC, Vancouver, Canada

Our room was in a poorly maintained appartement building. There were spider webs hanging from the ceiling, we killed 5 spiders after checking in. Rooms were very hot with an unpleasant smell. Bathroom was in bad shape but shower was clean. Main door to appartment was often unlocked when we returned (however we could lock our room inside). Have been to many hostels and would not return.

I never saw any staff member, the doors were always opened, the bathroom never got cleaned during my 3-day stay. The hostel is close to the train station. I wouldn't stay at this hostel again.

Unprofessional staff, couldn't answer our questions. Door was left unlocked at night. The atmosphere was okay. Further from downtown than they claim.

This place was pretty clean, and beds were resonably comfy. The best thing about this hostel was the location. It's about a 10 minute walk from metrotown and the sky train.

• 13th Jul 2015

Far from downtown, hot in the room, smells like a dirty socks inside, not very comfortable environment. If your looking for a cheap overnight stay and okay with all of the above then this place is for you. Another extra experience was, there was a duplicate key for our room that was left outside our door... While we we're out. We did'nt feel secure after that incident, instead of staying another night, the owner gave us a full refund for the 2nd night.

• 12th Jul 2015

I was EXTREMELY disappointed in this hostel. When we arrived the staff member checking us in didn't know what she was doing. Then, she said that our room would actually be a 10 minute walk down the road, which turned out to be a room rented out in a VERY poorly maintained apartment building. The room, mattress, sheets and bathroom were dirty, and covered in spider webs. By far the worst hostel I've ever stay in, and not cheap either. Don't stay here!

• 10th Jul 2015

I don't recommend this hostel. The rate is good, but the location is poor. When we checked in at a perfectly reasonable time (7:30 pm), the person in charge told us to wait, because he had to call "the management" first. When I looked for him after 20 minutes, I found him eating dinner. There is no toilet paper in the bathrooms, instead they give one roll to each customer, which may be convenient for the staff, but I find it weird and they should put the comfort of their customers first.

The staff were very friendly and courteous. They were hard working and efficient. You may want to bring Canadian $ to pay for your stay as they take US $ at par and charge 7% for credit card use. The skyway tram is very close. So you don't need to take your car to get into town and travel to the airport by metro is possible.

We didn't stay at the location listen here, but in another apartment they had close to the Metrotown station. Worked out for us since we were using the Skytrain a lot. We also got a lift from the owners to the location we stayed at, which was nice, but also the first and last time we saw anyone who was a member of the staff. Room and apartment was mostly clean, but a bit banged up (bathroom cupboard's doors were falling out). Provided us with what we were looking for, which was a quiet place.

Decent but nothing special. It is quiet and clean.

We had a nice roomy double , lovely big window. Very quiet location in the suburbs Close to the sky train and a huge shopping centre. Share kitchen very good too. Definately would go there again. Helen and John

Our room looked nothing like the photos, it was clean, but we had to stay in the basement, tiny window, carpets and really old uncomfortable mattress. Staff were all new, unsure about everything and no one could answer any of our questions (where are the restaurants? How far are we from the airport, cost of a drop off, etc)... I expected better..

Carl and Tinna were amazing hosts, very friendly, very helpful, and they do an amazing job of keeping the place sparkling clean. I would definitely recommend this hostel, and would stay here again without hesitation. Impressed.

Awesome place to stay if you want to have some rest! Very nice staff, the kitchen is perfect and everything is clean. I went there by car and you can park in front of the house.

• 7th Jun 2015

Nice hostel, very clean, staff very helpfully. They arnt doing lots of events and stuff but its easy to meet people There.

• 31st May 2015
  • French Southern Territories

Nice relaxed hostel, only 15 minutes with the train to the city, go there if you feel like sleeping in a suburban house!

This is perfect for a cheap stay in vancouver. It is not in the city centre but a 20 minute ride on the skytrain. It is next to the metropolis mall with cinema shops etc. The staff are really lovely and chatty. A very quiet atmosphere and not a social place.but if you want some quiet for.some solo travel and at nearly half.the price of the downtown hostels then it is perfect.

I came to Vancouver to run in the marathon, so I found the location perfect to enter the race. After the race, I was sore and needed extra time to recover. The staff were very understanding of my condition and made all efforts in my recovery (supplying ice and Tylenol). I found the location very convenient and good value for the money. Thanks again, Grant

• 2nd May 2015

We had to change our booking at the last minute and they were very accommodating in changing our room. Even driving us to the other hostel where the new room was. Much appreciated. Close to sky train. Would stay again.

Staff is a bit rude to people and it impacted the ambiance. Lot's of strick rules for no particular reasons so we felt like we were at school. The place is clean and close to the sky train... That s about it

View all Vancouver Bed and Breakfasts