Vancouver Backpacker House Reviews

7020 Gray Ave Burnaby BC, Vancouver, Canada

It was nice to be out of the city and close to the Metrotown station, but this wasn't a hostel. It was a random apartment with a few bedrooms, mattresses on the floor, and paper-thin walls. Apparently there was a "Backpacker's House" somewhere, but that isn't where they took me. I stayed in a random, hot, grimy apartment on a mattress on the floor.

Even it is in a remote place of Vancouver it is a real nice hostel. More like being with flate mates then in one of these unfamiliar hostels downtown. Staff is nice and communicative. If u like a NON party place it is right to go there.

The metro is very close to the hostel, so it was easy to get downtown. For travelers who want a cheap option that isn't in a busy neighborhood, this is a great choice. However, most guests kept to themselves, so this is not the right choice if you are traveling alone and/or looking to meet people.

• 11th Aug 2014

It is quite far from the nearest skytrain station...wark for 15~20 minutes and entrance door and room's door are always open but it seems pretty safety near the hostel The room was good because it was not bunk bed! and there is a shelf for each person

If you like a quiet middle of a residential neighborhood atmosphere, then this is a great place to stay. Free parking is readily available. Shopping, restaurants, petrol stations and various businesses are only a short drive away. Local bus service is about 250 meters away. When I go back to the Vancouver area I will most likely stay there again.

It is near metrotown skytrain stations, so the city centre is accessible in about 30 minutes which is good but nothing around except Metropolis mall, so boring evenings for solos. The hostel is clean enough, and has good cooking facilities. On the downside, the security is so so; for some reason, there is no reception desk nor staff working full time there. They keep the main door wide open during the day with the keys outside the door since it is a self check in place kind of thing.

It's a bit out of town, but walking distance to the skytrain station. It's comfortable

Nice clean place. Bit remote, facilities a little limited with only two bathrooms for whole hostel. Overall a decent place to stay.

• 7th Jul 2014

Staff weren't around much, had to check in myself with envelopes and notes but were friendly when they appeared. There were lockers for valuables but couldn't find staff to explain and room was unfortunately accessible because there were keys outside meant for late guests. Location outside of central Vancouver but close to station and big shopping centre. Other than that typical cosy, relaxed hostel in nice neighbourhood.

Hostel is a little out of downtown but only 15min on the Skytrain. It is close to a large shopping mall which is good to cook your own food and save a few dollars. The workers at the hostel were great. Bridget and Adam are relaxed and fun, the place would have had a different feel if they weren't there. It felt more like a big share house than a hostel. Recommend this place if you are after a cheaper option away from the parties of downtown.

This hostel was a bit different from what we expected and its because its a guesthouse, not a hostel. Its treated like a house and was very cozy! If we had found this hostel on our central america travels we would have died for the peace and quiet of this guesthouse! My biggest complaint is the arrival. When we arrived no one was there, we walked right in (a neighbourhood house btw) and no one was there to greet us, just a card saying when they see us they will take payment...

Pretty shocked this hostel is even allowed to be advertised through hostel world. We arrived at 11pm to check in and we're left waiting for two hours. To cut a long story short 4 groups had been waiting, The hostel worker told everyone they had no more rooms and wishes he could help despite the fact we all clearly had reservations. Eventually he ended uk finding room for 2 of us in one room and te 3rd separate. When I asked what discount we would get he laughed saying they don't do that.

• 19th Jun 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We are 100% sure you has posted your comment to the wrong hostel. However, we are sorry to hear that.

This is one of the least impressive hostels I have ever stayed at. I checked in on a Sunday and was met by a staff member. That was the last time I saw a staff member. In the four additional days I was there I saw no one to ask a question to or to get needed supplies from (like a towel to take a shower). Plus the location is not that great either. It was a long walk to the Sky Train every morning and back again at night. If you are going to Vancouver look for someplace downtown or the West End.

Thank you for your feedback. We think you might get to the wrong direction to the skytrain. It is about 10 min. walk to the skytain and the largest shopping mall (Metrotown shopping mall) in BC.

Place is all right but far from everything. We didn't mind that much but it is not that practical. It's not really a hostel but more a house that serves as a hostel. Our room was available the morning that we arrived at 6 but we couldn't get in unless we payed an extra 8 dollars per person.

Thank you for your feedback. Our check in time is any time after 3pm. There will be a fee for an early check in. If you would like to place your luggage in our common area and come back after 3pm, it will be free.

Not in downtown but it's next to the sky train and next to a huge shopping center. Ideal if u r on a budget or looking for temporary accommodation

Gooood! kind staff and clean room but too small washroom... only one person use the washroom in first floor at once even there are three rooms... and i felt cold midnight

• 30th May 2014
  • South Korea

Best thing about this hostel are the beds. They're real beds, not bunks and you'll get an excellent nights sleep. It is however a 10 min walk, plus a $4.25 ($2 after a certain time at night) skytrain ride into the city. It's near a very cheap supermarket and has a relatively good kitchen. A lot of the residents were there for a few weeks, and working etc so it's not a party hostel but you'll meet people who do know Vancouver well.

Strange setup. Rooms in separate buildings (3 I think) which are spread around. You don't know which street you will end up on. No front desk you can walk up to. Asked if I could leave my bags pre-checkin and was told ok, but no one was there to receive them so I had to stick them in an out of the way place. When checking in (had to ring and wait), I was asked to pay for a lift (via car) to the building where my room was. Room was fine though. Near huge mall and train, but quite out of the city.

Thank you for your feedback. You arrival time was before 8am. The cost is for the early check in charge. There is no fee for placeing your stuff at the common area. However, we do not take responsibility for the loss of your luggage.

It is located in a quiet and nice area easy to access by skytrain and near a big shopping center. It was perfect for me. I would return there if I go back to Vancouver.

• 26th May 2014

It's a bit out of town, but has good connections to it and for the price is unbeatable!

View all Vancouver Bed and Breakfasts