Vanderbilt YMCA Reviews

224 East 47th St., NY 10017, New York, USA

Excellent location, but hostel quite dirty. Nothing unthinkable, just some spots on the sheets and room quite dusty. Awesome facilities.

Security was good; they were strict about showing your room key to the guard. Location is a 5 min walk to Grand Central, 10 min for a group. Staff friendly and professional. Atmosphere very cosmopolitan, lots of British kids, Australian school groups in uniform, smattering of Middle Eastern folks. Cleanliness of bathrooms good, considering how big the place is. Value good, just a necessary place to sleep. Didn't use the gym stuff but it looks nice; was out seeing NYC.

• 8th Apr 2015

It was wonderful experience for me to stay at Vanderbilt YMCA in New York, USA. Being a delegate of United Nation Conference its location makes me easier not only to be at UN HQ in time also approachable to every important lacation of New York City..Would like to stay in future .

• 6th Mar 2015
  • India

I didn't love the hostel. The heating made weird loud noises throughout the night which kept me awake. There were only two toilets on the level I was on. I found it hard to open the door to the showers, which were hard to operate. I thought some staff were friendly but others not so much. I burnt my arm on the pipe of the heater near the shower, and it is still healing over a week later. I was very frustrated by some completely normal websites being blocked on the internet.

• 14th Feb 2015

I have stayed at Vanderbilt several times when I'm in New York, it's a good location, walking distance to everything you need) and a good price for a single room, bathrooms in the corridore are clean too, so I don't mind sharing

The room was tiny but if you just there for a sleep, it is just fine! The heater is making LOUD noise during the night, so be prepared with earplugs, you can't sleep peaceful without them!! They also vacuum cleaned at 7 am? :D I had a free access to gym centre, there is also a swimming pool and saunas. The shared bathrooms were cleaned every day, so they were very neat! The location is also great, you can easily walk to Time Square.

Natasha was great checking me in, and she made sure that my sister and I were assigned to very nice adjacent rooms. Shellem ( I think that's how his name is spelled) on the evening shift was very helpful, as he was the last time we stayed at the Vanderbilt.

Wifi signal strength could be improved. Accessibility gets poor at some locations especially on higher floors. At some locations totally lost it. Otherwise the place is great.

Good hostel, I wasn't lucky with the heat but good overall.

Great stay but the bathrooms were disgusting.

• 5th Dec 2014

Nice atmosphere

• 17th Nov 2014

Very clean and very helpful and friendly staff. We were able to walk most places so loved the location.

• 10th Nov 2014
  • Mixed Group, 41+

Staff were so unfriendly and not helpful at all. Had a cleaner just open up My door in the morning. I've stayed in lots of hostels and this one I would not recommend.