Vanderbilt YMCA Reviews

224 East 47th St., NY 10017, New York, USA

Staff at reception desk refused to help an elderly male get tokens from machine to store his luggage. She was so rude. My daughter who lives in NY was not allowed to come to my room. The room was so small I had to put my case on desk to open it to change my clothes.

• 19th Sep 2014

As an over-60 yr old visitor, I was pleasantly surprised at how fine and antiquate it was. TV and wifi, single room, towels, and delightful and respectful foreign visitors made for a comfortable stay. Wish I had brought my gym clothes. Can't beat the location at 1/3 the price of a hotel.. Don't expect thick mattresses or non-musty showers, but I am used to going with the flow.Felt safe the whole time. Will stay again.

• 17th Sep 2014

I am looking forward to my next stay! I went for a single room with shared bathroom. The room was clean, the only downside was that all the furniture is so old, it looked ''dirty'' but it wasn't. Not sure I am making any sense lol. Cable TV, heater, aircon and fridge in the room, a nice area to store your clothes and a desk for your computer. Nice bed, they changed the sheets every 2 days. The bathrooms were super clean, seriously. I didn't expect this. The staff were super lovely.

• 14th Sep 2014
  • Spain

Pros: Superb facilities ( gym, pool, steam room, sauna, lockers, fresh towels, etc ) Good location Friendly staff Cons: Bed Bugs :/ I picked up bites on my face and body. I cannot say with 100% certainty it was from the pillow / bed I slept on - but I am very sure it was.

• 13th Sep 2014

Really dark room that stank. Next to the table there are TV and fridge, but only 1 wall socket, so you have to decide if you want to watch TV or have a cool drink. Once there was a cleaning staff asking us if we need some towels at 11pm.

• 11th Sep 2014
  • Slovakia

We really enjoyed our stay, even restrooms was little too war away from our room!

• 8th Sep 2014
  • Finland

Hands down one of the best locations for a hostel for someone who has a limited number of days in NY and wants to see as many attractions as possible. The Breakfast dicount comes in handy and everything from the rooms to the facilities are top notch. Even though the facilities are shared anyone will be happy to learn that they are kept well in orderon a daily basis.

Good location, clean, affordable. Can't really ask for much more.

Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your visit and hope to see you again next time you visit New York.

My single room was every bit as good as the VIP room for entertainers etc when I was in Korea.

• 28th Aug 2014
  • Puerto Rico

Great place to stay if all you want is somewhere to dump your stuff and spend the day/evenings out & about in NY. There is a really good gym which I used a few times in the mornings. There is also a really good café & a Starbucks nearby for breakfast. The bread & butter place across the street was also good for coffee & snacks. The cooking facilities in the hostel are not very good.

This is a fair enough place. You can stay here and feel safe with good location. And it's clean. But I don't want to stay there again, It was more a hotel than a hostel. We couldn't check in without one of the staff trying to sell us a trip, maybe his own little business on the side? Don't try to use the pool. It's not free to use as you like, but part of the gym. There are several silly rules strictly enforced. At times there isn't water pressure in some of the showers.

The room was really tiny and run down. Toilets were dirty, showers ok. Only two showers for about 30-40 rooms. Rooms had paper thin walls, you could hear even the slightest noises. Front desk staff was very impersonal and seemed annoyed, not as we experienced with all the other people in NYC, maybe they had to sleep in the hostel too ;) Price doesn't meet value by far! Absolutely not recommendable!!

GOOD LOCATION, GOOD SERVICE

Thank you for your positive review. So glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again.

Clean and comfortable. Staff could not be more helpful. Always felt safe. 20 minutes walk from Times Square. Brilliant location. Would highly reccomended.

• 15th Aug 2014
  • Scotland

Thank you for your wonderful comments. We hope to see you again next time you visit New York.

The location is fabulous but noisy. We were awakened early to honking horns and beeping from trucks backing up. We might try to get a room off the street next time. We didn't try to take a shower since we were only there for 1 night but with only 3 showers on our floor (and 100 people per floor) I'm not sure how long we would have had to wait. But we would stay there again!

• 12th Aug 2014
  • All Female Group, 41+

HI, We are glad you enjoyed your experience. In New York, it is difficult to keep the noise level down but please be sure to mention that when you check in and we will try to accommodate you with a room off the street. Also, we serve about 55 or so people on each floor and we rarely experience any waiting for the restrooms, but you can also use the locker rooms on the gym side of the building, if needed. We hope to see you again soon.

Lobby lovely. Rooms not good. Bunk beds with no bar. Rooms dark and dingy. Hostel spent all the money on the gym and lobby. Bathroom grubby with no where to put belongings. Location saved the stay.

• 10th Aug 2014

HI, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. The YMCA is a community based organization. Part of our mission is to serve the youth and families of our community, that is why the gym and lobby area are so big. As you know, we also have two pools. These accommodations add an extra value to your stay. We have been upgrading our guest rooms for the past few years and will continue to do so. We hope by your next visit to have upgraded even more rooms.

No bed bugs! :) Free gym access! :) Midtown East! :)

Location is excellent, just 5 minutes walk from Grand Central. Swanky reception with view of their gym. However, the rooms are grim, unclean. Stayed on 6 floor. Never ever seen the toilet clean. I wouldn't recommend.

IT WAS VERY NICE TO STAY IN THIS HOSTEL, SPECIALLY I COULD SLEEP ALL NIGHT. BATHROOMS CLEAN, ROOM CLEAN, GOOD AIRCONDITION. WITH REFRIGERATOR AND TV WITH CABLE. PERFECT FOR ME. MRS. RODRIGUEZ PUERTO RICO

thank you for your wonderful review. We hope you stay with us again.

Had a really good stay here at the YMCA. Location was excellent, close by to the subway and within walking distance to Times Square. Also very clean with new towels and sheets every day. Only downside was there wasn't enough showers/toilets per floor meaning there was often a queue which was annoying. There were also lots of school trips staying at the hostel with lots of teenagers taking over/ lurking in the hallway.

• 26th Jul 2014

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We host alot of students from overseas so sometimes the bathrooms can get busy. If you experience that next time you stay, please feel free to use the bathroom facilities in our locker rooms on the gym side. We are also working on assigning rooms to individual guests on different floors from the groups. we hope to see you again.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5