Vanderbilt YMCA Reviews

224 East 47th St., NY 10017, New York, USA

Very clean and very helpful and friendly staff. We were able to walk most places so loved the location.

• 10th Nov 2014
  • Mixed Group, 41+

Better lighting in the rooms would be appreciated - perhaps wall mounted. It is not comfortable to read with the rather weak ceiling lights. One cannot lie in bed and read under the present conditions.

It would make sense to put men near the men's room and women near the women's room. I had to walk nearly a block to use the men's room in the middle of the night.

• 22nd Oct 2014

Everything was ok. Wish one did not have to wait so late to check in. My room was as far away from the men's facilities as was possible. Paying a little more attention to this situation would be most welcome.

• 20th Oct 2014

The hotel staff could really do with a smile at the check in. A little friendliness leaves a more positive first impression. Overall, it was OK, though.

• 18th Oct 2014
  • Hungary

YMCA is a great hostel. Just 20 minutes away from Times Square! Free fitness, Sauna and indor swimming pool. The private rooms are small, however you just spend the night there, during the day you enjoy the big apple!

• 9th Oct 2014
  • Switzerland

The room was moldy, smelled old and humid, not to mention tiny. The decoration was just sad. No good atmosphere at the hostel. No nice common room. Tony kitchen. One bathroom (with 2 toilets) and two showers in each floor that has about 30 rooms if not more. The bathroom smelled of pee. Couldn't even brush my teeth there. The only floor that smelled and looked reasonable was the 10th, which was newer. I checked out after one night, instead of 4.

The hostel is really in a great location. You can even walk to times square:) can get a bit noisy if you have bad luck and are on the same floor like the school trips.

• 7th Oct 2014
  • Czech Republic

Enjoyed my stay at the hostel. It's a great location and only a short walk from a lot of attractions. Ladders should be provided for the bunk beds and safety guards installed.

• 7th Oct 2014
  • Scotland

A very good location, only 3 blocks form Grand Central. Big building, in the centre of the city - but we could sleep really well, it was not too laud. There are many cafés and places to eat. Really good place to have a breakfast: just in the front of the building: Bread und butter.

I will always stay here when visiting NYC!

Staff at reception desk refused to help an elderly male get tokens from machine to store his luggage. She was so rude. My daughter who lives in NY was not allowed to come to my room. The room was so small I had to put my case on desk to open it to change my clothes.

• 19th Sep 2014

As an over-60 yr old visitor, I was pleasantly surprised at how fine and antiquate it was. TV and wifi, single room, towels, and delightful and respectful foreign visitors made for a comfortable stay. Wish I had brought my gym clothes. Can't beat the location at 1/3 the price of a hotel.. Don't expect thick mattresses or non-musty showers, but I am used to going with the flow.Felt safe the whole time. Will stay again.

• 17th Sep 2014

So glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to your next visit. We are constantly improving our guest rooms. I am sure you will notice even more upgrades next time you visit. dont forget your gym clothes.

I am looking forward to my next stay! I went for a single room with shared bathroom. The room was clean, the only downside was that all the furniture is so old, it looked ''dirty'' but it wasn't. Not sure I am making any sense lol. Cable TV, heater, aircon and fridge in the room, a nice area to store your clothes and a desk for your computer. Nice bed, they changed the sheets every 2 days. The bathrooms were super clean, seriously. I didn't expect this. The staff were super lovely.

• 14th Sep 2014
  • Spain

thank you so much for your lovely comments. We are so glad you enjoyed you visit and we look forward to your next one.

Pros: Superb facilities ( gym, pool, steam room, sauna, lockers, fresh towels, etc ) Good location Friendly staff Cons: Bed Bugs :/ I picked up bites on my face and body. I cannot say with 100% certainty it was from the pillow / bed I slept on - but I am very sure it was.

• 13th Sep 2014

Thank you for your comment. We would like to assure you that we do not have a bed bug problem at our hostel. We have an exterminator on premises five days a week and we have not had any problems with them. Sometimes, if you leave the windows open in the summer because there are no screens. mosquitos can get into the room. We hope this puts your mind at ease.

Really dark room that stank. Next to the table there are TV and fridge, but only 1 wall socket, so you have to decide if you want to watch TV or have a cool drink. Once there was a cleaning staff asking us if we need some towels at 11pm.

• 11th Sep 2014
  • Slovakia

Thank you for your comment. We hope you would consider staying with us again, next time you visit. We would like to assure you that the TV and Fridge can be plugged into at the same time. We also provide towels on a daily basis and please know that you can ask the guest services desk for assistance any time you need anything.

We really enjoyed our stay, even restrooms was little too war away from our room!

• 8th Sep 2014
  • Finland

Thank you for your comment and we are happy you enjoyed your stay. Please let us know the next time you visit and we will be sure to assign you a room closer to the restrooms.

Hands down one of the best locations for a hostel for someone who has a limited number of days in NY and wants to see as many attractions as possible. The Breakfast dicount comes in handy and everything from the rooms to the facilities are top notch. Even though the facilities are shared anyone will be happy to learn that they are kept well in orderon a daily basis.

Thank you for your wonderful comment. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to your next visit.

Good location, clean, affordable. Can't really ask for much more.

Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your visit and hope to see you again next time you visit New York.

My single room was every bit as good as the VIP room for entertainers etc when I was in Korea.

• 28th Aug 2014