Vanderbilt YMCA Reviews

224 East 47th St., NY 10017, New York, USA

I didn't love the hostel. The heating made weird loud noises throughout the night which kept me awake. There were only two toilets on the level I was on. I found it hard to open the door to the showers, which were hard to operate. I thought some staff were friendly but others not so much. I burnt my arm on the pipe of the heater near the shower, and it is still healing over a week later. I was very frustrated by some completely normal websites being blocked on the internet.

• 14th Feb 2015

I have stayed at Vanderbilt several times when I'm in New York, it's a good location, walking distance to everything you need) and a good price for a single room, bathrooms in the corridore are clean too, so I don't mind sharing

The room was tiny but if you just there for a sleep, it is just fine! The heater is making LOUD noise during the night, so be prepared with earplugs, you can't sleep peaceful without them!! They also vacuum cleaned at 7 am? :D I had a free access to gym centre, there is also a swimming pool and saunas. The shared bathrooms were cleaned every day, so they were very neat! The location is also great, you can easily walk to Time Square.

Natasha was great checking me in, and she made sure that my sister and I were assigned to very nice adjacent rooms. Shellem ( I think that's how his name is spelled) on the evening shift was very helpful, as he was the last time we stayed at the Vanderbilt.

Wifi signal strength could be improved. Accessibility gets poor at some locations especially on higher floors. At some locations totally lost it. Otherwise the place is great.

Good hostel, I wasn't lucky with the heat but good overall.

Great stay but the bathrooms were disgusting.

• 5th Dec 2014

Nice atmosphere

• 17th Nov 2014

Very clean and very helpful and friendly staff. We were able to walk most places so loved the location.

• 10th Nov 2014
  • Mixed Group, 41+

Staff were so unfriendly and not helpful at all. Had a cleaner just open up My door in the morning. I've stayed in lots of hostels and this one I would not recommend.

Better lighting in the rooms would be appreciated - perhaps wall mounted. It is not comfortable to read with the rather weak ceiling lights. One cannot lie in bed and read under the present conditions.

It would make sense to put men near the men's room and women near the women's room. I had to walk nearly a block to use the men's room in the middle of the night.

• 22nd Oct 2014

Everything was ok. Wish one did not have to wait so late to check in. My room was as far away from the men's facilities as was possible. Paying a little more attention to this situation would be most welcome.

• 20th Oct 2014

The hotel staff could really do with a smile at the check in. A little friendliness leaves a more positive first impression. Overall, it was OK, though.

• 18th Oct 2014
  • Hungary

YMCA is a great hostel. Just 20 minutes away from Times Square! Free fitness, Sauna and indor swimming pool. The private rooms are small, however you just spend the night there, during the day you enjoy the big apple!

• 9th Oct 2014
  • Switzerland

The room was moldy, smelled old and humid, not to mention tiny. The decoration was just sad. No good atmosphere at the hostel. No nice common room. Tony kitchen. One bathroom (with 2 toilets) and two showers in each floor that has about 30 rooms if not more. The bathroom smelled of pee. Couldn't even brush my teeth there. The only floor that smelled and looked reasonable was the 10th, which was newer. I checked out after one night, instead of 4.

The hostel is really in a great location. You can even walk to times square:) can get a bit noisy if you have bad luck and are on the same floor like the school trips.

• 7th Oct 2014
  • Czech Republic

Enjoyed my stay at the hostel. It's a great location and only a short walk from a lot of attractions. Ladders should be provided for the bunk beds and safety guards installed.

• 7th Oct 2014
  • Scotland

A very good location, only 3 blocks form Grand Central. Big building, in the centre of the city - but we could sleep really well, it was not too laud. There are many cafés and places to eat. Really good place to have a breakfast: just in the front of the building: Bread und butter.

I will always stay here when visiting NYC!