Vanderbilt YMCA Reviews

224 East 47th St., NY 10017, New York, USA

Your get what you pay, book it for the location and prize, not for hotel/hostel experience. Great for young travelers. Just to sleep. Needs to improve showers (bad condition, graffiti, cold water, clean), bathroom looks like Walmart , storage machine slow, and beds.

• 6th Jun 2014
  • Mexico

I stayed here for one week as a solo female traveller. The room is very basic (dark

Thank you for your comment. Please let us know next time you stay that you would like a brighter room. We will try to accommodate you. thank you

I am disappointed for not having internet Access in the first Day of my arrival, June 1st.

• 1st Jun 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your comment. We apologize that the internet access was not working the first day. Sometimes, work is being done in the area and it interferes with our access. However, on your next visit, please be aware that the lobby area usually has great access, and please let the staff know if you are experiencing any problems and we would be more than happy to help you out. thank you,

Basic, expensive, awesome location though!

Apart from Carlos, Ingrid, Gabby from the desk and night security guy, all the staff didn't show any interest or kindness, despite I always approached them politely and with a smile.

• Argentina

Thank you for your feedback. We will let Carlos, Ingrid and Gabby know they are going a good job and we will also address the rest of the staff about showing more hospitality. We apologize for any staff behavior that was not hospitable.

The one private bathroom was good, but the fact there was just one private bathroom near my room was kinda bad. There were more showers next to the toilets but you couldn't lock those :S

• 31st May 2014

In general the services and cleanliness was so good. I stayed at room 936 and my comments would be the never ending sound of the air conditioning fans of the building outside, and the distance of the room to men's room and showers. There should be a design that at least a number of rooms with small shower and toilets exist.

• Turkey

We stayed 7 nights in a double room. We were pretty satisfied with everything (cental location, friendly staff, huge gym, clean towels every day, etc), so I would totally recommend the Vanderbilt YMCA. I would not recommend though leaving the bags in the luggageroom, there we had some troubles before the departure. Plus the airconditioner was not working perfectly in the window, it was quite a sauna on the 10th floor. (:

• 30th May 2014
  • Hungary

thank you for taking the time to write your comment. We appreciate it and we are glad you were satisfied with your stay. We hope to see you again.

great place to stay affordable clean

• 30th May 2014

Very disappointing stay. Got back to hostel late, cards didn't work, security guards didn't seem to have a procedure in place for this kind of problem esp considering you need card access for toilets.also the Manager next morning assured me he would follow up on a cleaning issue and 2 weeks later I have not heard back, I will be following this up. Also Rooms tiny, bags take up the little floor space you have in your room.

thank you for your feedback. We will make sure all security guards know the proper procedures. We can't do anything about the size of the rooms but we will also follow up with housekeeping about the cleanliness of rooms.

The location is perfect, between 47th and 3rd avenue. Rooms are too small Beds are not that comfortable, ok for a night but definitely not for 10. Noisy staff EVERY MORNING at 8am waking me up while they laughed and screamed in the corridors. Dirty room, not even sweeped. Toilets and showers are disgusting. The man in the reception for travels, sold us a ticket and gave incorrect instructions about where to take it. Definitely a place to avoid.

• 27th May 2014
  • Spain
  • All Male Group, 25-30

stayed in a twin room, which was absolutely tiny, and the fridge did not seem to work, so we had to throw away some of our food - there were no communal fridges. definitely very secure, and close by to a lot of downtown attractions, plenty of places to eat near by.

• 23rd May 2014
  • New Zealand

Thank you for your comment. We apologize that your fridge did not work. We would have replaced it, had we known. We hope to see you again.

Short time in NYC. saved a little money on lodging and spent it on souveniers.

• 17th May 2014

thank you for your great comment. I like to do the same, rather spend the extra money on other things. We hope to see you again.

I went for the fourth time at YMCA Vanderbilt NYC, during the week-end 17-18-19 of may. It was OK but I did contact the YMCA for a especial room and when I arrived, no notes were in my reservations. Also, usually the cleanliness is good but this time, in 3 days, the restrooms wasn't done (garbages/sink)... lots of hair ine the bed that wasn't our... room 1057... very small. Difficult to circulate in the room with our lugages.

• 17th May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I have sent a response to your email address.

Room floor is not very clean

• 16th May 2014
  • China

Hi, thank you for your review. We apologize if you were not happy with the cleanliness of the room floor. Please feel free next time you stay with us, to discuss any concerns with a staff member. We will be happy to assist you.

This hostel is excellent value for money in a great location, awesome home base for New York adventures. Facilities available to backpackers (gym and pools) were great. Staff were civil but very busy, if you expect to be waited upon hand and foot then maybe this isn't the place for you.

Thank you for your review. We hope to see you again next time you visit New York.

A nice place for a quick tour around town. Great location, close to Grand Central. The concierge was very helpful. Rooms are small, but it's quiet and clean enough. Enjoyed it, would stay again!

The location is great on the 47th street. The rooms is very small, but sufficient for the price and the location. The shared bathrooms are bad but it works. The gym is really great.

I will talk about something I didn't like first: 1. Two dollars paper bills for using the computer 2. $2 to store the baggage after you check-out (free when you checkin) 3. The bed Something I like: 1. The location! 2. The gym is good

• 7th May 2014
  • China

Amazing location in an amazing city. The facilities are pretty basic and could do with some modernising but as a place to lay your head and recover from the streets and atmosphere of NYC it does the job.