Vanderbilt YMCA Reviews

224 East 47th St., NY 10017, New York, USA

This time my room was near the elevator, so I was awakened several times by talkative people coming in from their evening out, but that wasn't the fault of management. The bed was sufficient, the heater made lots of clanging sounds.

• 17th Apr 2014

facilities are preety old, and they dont have a hair dryer in the bathroom, staff are friendly and helpful.

• 16th Apr 2014
  • China

We recently travelled to nyc for my daughters graduation and stayed at the Vanderbuilt. The location was excellent, Unfortunately disappointed upon arrival at our accomadation, was given a tiny room with uncomfortable bunk bed , not what I had thought was booked when I paid deposit. Told by staff that thats all they had and did not have anything to do with internet bookings, should have phoned them direct to book what I wanted. Was very important trip for myself and youngest daughter,, cleaners

• 15th Apr 2014

Fab location and price, great that there's wifi, lady at the front desk was v. sweet, nice to have a fridge in the room. If you want space and luxury go to a hotel, but what's the point of that when you're in NYC, this is a place to sleep and dump your bags! Thought bathrooms would get busy, but they didn't. I'd stay again!

It was very cold, and I have to use my cloth to cover myself to keep warm. In addition, someone keeps beating the steaming heater battery. It was too noisy.

• 15th Apr 2014
  • China

It would have been nice to have normal curtains in the room. My room only had venetian blinds framed with two smaller curtains that could not be pulled to cover the windows.

There is always an off-putting smell in the room, but you get used to it after a few minutes. It happens every time you re-enter your room. The showers were a bit gross (my friend found a fake nail and a pile of hair)...but that's communal showers for you. Great location that's near Bread & Butter across the street (open 24/7 so you can grab a bite whenever you want and there are a lot to choose from) and a couple of cute Japanese places (restaurants, Dainobu - a convenient store).

• 10th Apr 2014

Really dissapointed in this hostel. I can accept certain things about staying in a hostel but the attitude of the staff wasn't great. the room was ok, no more than that. not the cleanest. tv didn't work. would try to avoid staying there again to be honest.

I appreciate how Vanderbilt addresses the problem of doors closing loudly. In too many hostels, especially since the rooms are small and close together, the doors close/slam so loud your teeth rattle. I think addressing excessive noise is important to a quality experience, and I thank Vanderbilt for all they do this direction.

Very nice location , nice price and very clean place ... ( güzel mevkide , uygun fiyat ve çok temiz bir mekan ) tavsiye ederim

• 3rd Apr 2014
  • Turkey

Cleaning staff were friendly and did an excellent job. The front desk staff, a young lady can't remember her name was very unprofessional and rude. There aren't that many jobs out there and we are sure you could probably get more professional staff that are friendly and welcoming. On a better note, the location is wonderful and the facility is clean. Probably could get softer mattresses, but would stay there again and recommend this place : )

• 2nd Apr 2014

Nice hostel to stay. Would recommend the hostel to add a clear description on how to get to the hostel fro the different airports or different metro stops as I ended up on the west side instead of east side in the rain :S. A small map would also be useful.

• 29th Mar 2014

Nice hostel to stay in. Great location, close to grand central station, and from there to up and downtown. Overall impression was good, although the rooms are small and a bit outdated, but the rest of the hostel looks nice and clean. Overall pretty clean, but the toilets could be better. There are only a few showers each floor, but I never had to wait.there is a living room but don't expect to much of it.

• 29th Mar 2014

Rooms are too small

• 21st Mar 2014
  • Ethiopia

I stayed there for two nights and I was quite disappointed. My so called room was about 10 x 6 feet so there was space for a bed and a small table and that was all. Subway and busses are within walking distance but it takes over 20min to get to lower Manhattan. In this place i haven't got any chance to get in contact with other backpacjets as there were only school classes at this time. The value for money is quite less but compared to other accommodation in New York ok.

Looking for a few nights in Manhattan in New York with a limited budget, this accommodation will provide the basics, good location, safe and warm place to stay. The front desk staff was pleasant and helpful, the use of the gym and the pool is a bonus but the guest rooms are very basic, the bathroom facilities also very basic. It seemed that the guest rooms and bathrooms could do with a really deep clean. If you don't need much for your comfort, this property will do just fine for a budget price

Everything was good! except for the madress, i could feel all the springs and it kept me awake most of the night.

• 17th Mar 2014
  • Denmark

Staff is unfriendly and doesn't care hostels claims to be wheelchair accessible ( one of the reasons we booked it) , but bathroom facilities are anything but, also twin rooms are not actually wheelchair accessible, so while they didn't increase our bill for the night we had booked for future stays we would have had to pay $180 per night to have a room big enough to fit a wheelchair in. Furniture old and creaky, the whole place is rather run down. Won't stay there again! Far overpriced!

The room is very small and some staff are not nice to a foreigner

• 15th Mar 2014
  • Thailand

Staff are antipathetic and rude, they Always were cold

• 13th Mar 2014