Vanderbilt YMCA Reviews

224 East 47th St., NY 10017, New York, USA

The location was fantastic to get out and about and see New York. Can't fault the value for money. Small rooms but clean and tidy. The only dampener were a few of the staff who couldn't obscure their hatred for their job/tourists. But you can't have it all! Would stay again if on a budget.

• 3rd May 2014

Hi, thank you for taking to the time to write a review. We are glad you think the location is fantastic and good value for your money. We are sorry if the staff were not helpful. We pride ourselves in great guest services and I will let the staff know how it appears to our guests. We hope to see you again.

Security and location is excellent. Room cleanliness and bed quarity wasnt good.

• 1st May 2014
  • Japan

I stayed last weekend. Location is perfect (in relation to price), near Grand Central Station. My room was on 10 floor, and for men there are a shower room and a restroom (with two WC, one of them for handicapped, one urinary, and two sinks). Hot water 24 hours. I guess that women facilities are similar. Room was cleaned on Friday (not on Saturday). Guests are admited to gym and pool but I did not have any time for them (snif!). One problem: some teenage guests: they were noise and dirty.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay. We do have many groups of teens staying with us at any given time. Please let us know next time you visit and we will be try to put you on a floor with no teens groups if available. Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Great location. Friendly, helpful staff.

• 28th Apr 2014
  • Sweden

Men's toilets - no lock on shower and ran out of paper towels every day.

• 28th Apr 2014

The rooms were straight out of the 1970s, but the gym facilities were futuristic all the way. The staff were amazing- so pleasant, even when I got locked out, even when I came back in the wee hours, always friendly, always smiling, always looking to make sure that yes, indeed, these were guests. The location was superb.

• 27th Apr 2014

the staff is very rude an unconsidered.

• 26th Apr 2014
  • Argentina

The employees were very helpful and the location is really, really good. Just a few blocks from Times Square and all the popular stuff in New York. The accommodations are small, but very secure and well cleaned. You get clean towels everyday and there are also blankets available. The bathrooms are also very clean. I'll definitely stay there when I get back to NYC.

• 25th Apr 2014

We didn't have any problems staying at the Vanderbilt. It had great location only a 5-10 min walk from Grand Central or the 51st subway station. There were 4 or 5 places for breakfast that were close. The front desk people were friendly and never had a issue with security. The rooms were small but we didn't spend time in them other than sleeping so wasn't a big deal at all. It is the cheapest place I could find and would recommend it to anyone going to NY.

• 25th Apr 2014

tv remote was broken when i came in and asked for a replacement. it took 6 days. ac in the room was broken as well, no air conditioning and loud when working. hostel security decided to break into my room one morning while i was sleeping (without knocking first) for security reasons, finding nothing else but my heartattack. the room itself was small and unconfortable, bathrooms are almost decent (not every day though). there are better places in manhattan for the same (huge) amount of money.

• 24th Apr 2014

Apart from this rating, i was subjected to robbery

• 24th Apr 2014
  • Egypt

Employees are not helpful, even it looks like you disturb all the time. The exception is the concierge, he is very nice. But receptionist and specially night employees are unfriendly and edges. The room is sooo small and the bed is not very comfortable.I have not find the room very clean. The shower in the floor is very poor, and is the only one for all the floor, unbelievable!!!! The best is the place where is located.

• 18th Apr 2014
  • Spain

This time my room was near the elevator, so I was awakened several times by talkative people coming in from their evening out, but that wasn't the fault of management. The bed was sufficient, the heater made lots of clanging sounds.

• 17th Apr 2014

facilities are preety old, and they dont have a hair dryer in the bathroom, staff are friendly and helpful.

• 16th Apr 2014
  • China

We recently travelled to nyc for my daughters graduation and stayed at the Vanderbuilt. The location was excellent, Unfortunately disappointed upon arrival at our accomadation, was given a tiny room with uncomfortable bunk bed , not what I had thought was booked when I paid deposit. Told by staff that thats all they had and did not have anything to do with internet bookings, should have phoned them direct to book what I wanted. Was very important trip for myself and youngest daughter,, cleaners

• 15th Apr 2014

Fab location and price, great that there's wifi, lady at the front desk was v. sweet, nice to have a fridge in the room. If you want space and luxury go to a hotel, but what's the point of that when you're in NYC, this is a place to sleep and dump your bags! Thought bathrooms would get busy, but they didn't. I'd stay again!

It was very cold, and I have to use my cloth to cover myself to keep warm. In addition, someone keeps beating the steaming heater battery. It was too noisy.

• 15th Apr 2014
  • China

It would have been nice to have normal curtains in the room. My room only had venetian blinds framed with two smaller curtains that could not be pulled to cover the windows.

There is always an off-putting smell in the room, but you get used to it after a few minutes. It happens every time you re-enter your room. The showers were a bit gross (my friend found a fake nail and a pile of hair)...but that's communal showers for you. Great location that's near Bread & Butter across the street (open 24/7 so you can grab a bite whenever you want and there are a lot to choose from) and a couple of cute Japanese places (restaurants, Dainobu - a convenient store).

• 10th Apr 2014

Really dissapointed in this hostel. I can accept certain things about staying in a hostel but the attitude of the staff wasn't great. the room was ok, no more than that. not the cleanest. tv didn't work. would try to avoid staying there again to be honest.