Vanderbilt YMCA Reviews

224 East 47th St., NY 10017, New York, USA

Reception staff very friendly. great gym attached to accommodation. Individual rooms were small but clean. Questionable vetillation. Bathrooms were not great at all.

It's a 30 minute walk from Penn Station. The walk is very safe, even at night- I was often out around 11 pm -midnight and felt safe. There is no (or sometimes flaky) wifi in the rooms, but the wifi in the lobby works well. The room is tiny, but mine was clean. It is a budget hotel rather than a hostel. I have read complaints about noisy AC but mine was fine (just don't crank it up all the way.)

It is a very good place to stay for see NY

• 5th Sep 2013
  • Spain

Very small room. Dust in the room. Dirty shower.

• 5th Sep 2013
  • Romania

The stay is globally positive but the fact that we had to wait one hour because the private room we were supposed to have was occupied by someone at 8:00 pm, is not normal. And no one apologized for making us wait that long. This is a basic rule of politeness.

It would be good to have had breakfast included.

Reception staff was morose. No map of the hostel, could hardly find my way to swimming pool and gyms. 3 showers on one floor, 2 always closed.

I found this hostel very well located in New York and the security were amazing and very friendly. Although having worked at YMCA for the summer we were unable to receive or discount which I was disappointed with but I was happy overall with service an locating of this hostel and would stay there again.

• 30th Aug 2013

Water fountains on each floor were a great idea. The kitchen area would be good, but we weren't told much about it until we found it ourselves after it would have been useful. The common area was small and pokey. You are tempted by the pool when you first arrive but then told you have to become a member and buy a swimming cap and can only stay in for 20mins, which was a shame. Very secure, have to show card on entry. Rooms were very pokey but the shower rooms were good, if not showering at peek.

Vanderbilt YMCA has one of the best locations in Manhattan. With a fully equiped gym, it is a great short-stay point in NYC. The rooms are extremely tiny (as most in town), but there is the plus of having individual rooms for a very fair price. Improvements would be better common areas, which would allow more interaction with other travelers.

Maybe your security needs to liase with your counter staff in issuing the keycards. Whether it is one per person or one per room. It is not the guests duty to convince your security that the counter issued only one card for access.

Maybe I was unlucky but in my room (private room) was too humid and there was some mold. The room was dark and there was big noise from something outside the window, not the traffic.

• 29th Aug 2013

After travelling for a year, and this being our last stop of our round the world trip- we received UNACCEPTABLE SERVICE from reception. Not only did they call our parents in the middle of the night to worry them to death, they failed to inform us of their stupidity-mixing up our room. They then had the cheek to CHARGE us to look after our bags for 2 hours after check out. PER BAG! No apologies, No explanation. NO MANORS. The only thing that this place has going for it is the gym facilities. JOKE

Staff was excellent, housekeeping, maid very good....security on top of things.

Recently renovated. Good furniture. Refridge. Clean carpet. A/c broke. They put me in a better room. Loved the place

My cable kept going out.

• 26th Aug 2013

Everything's okay except for showers. Had to share 3 bathrooms with all the girls on the whole level! That ratio is a bit ridiculous to be honest.

Great location but place could do with a bit of sprucing up to make it more welcoming. Rooms basic but equipped. Beds not so comfy and decor pretty ordinary. Bathrooms were poorly maintained on my level and need a good renovation. Laundry facilities good and kitchen very basic, again could do with some better equipment. You are really paying for the position. Found other hostels far more comfortable, welcoming and close to subway.

The staff that book people in should keep in mind that when booking males in, put them close to the M Showers and M Toilets...and Likewise for Females...or at least at the same end where possible. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Vanderbilt and would most definitely return. Security were fabulous.

• 24th Aug 2013

The location is very good. It stays quite near to time square. The bedroom was clean and the price is fair.

• 23rd Aug 2013