Vanderbilt YMCA Reviews

224 East 47th St., NY 10017, New York, New York, USA

Not bad, not great. Typical dorm room. Bed was hard as a rock.

the staffs just don't know the word "service quality". the facilities was great but its too money oriented. We had to pay for luggage storage which usually is not the case in Asian countries

It was an excellent place to stay, but hat's all it was really. Great to have access to the pool and the gym, but there was no sense of community. I recently stayed in the Getaway Hostel in Chicago where they have a well-developed sense of the hostel community and actively foster that. It works very well. Also there should be a laundry for guests. Lots of people staying at hostels are on extended holidays and need to wash clothes. It's not Ok to be doing it in a communal bathroom handbasin.

• 22nd Jun 2013

Friendly staff. Excellent location. Spartan room but comfortable.

• 21st Jun 2013

The people at the front desk with computers seem to be like angry.

• 18th Jun 2013
  • Spain

Location was exelent, the staff were helpfull and friendley,. The bathrooms were always clean as were the sheets. I was on the forth floor, a newley renovated room, it had a small flat screen TV and a small fridge, everything I wanted.

Staying at Vanderbilt YMCA changed my idea about a "non profit" organization. I was hoping for a friendly and fun place, I got the opposite. Mainly foreigner students, staying monthly, i think that's what they value mainly, monthly paying students. The staff made me feel horrible, like if they were doing me a favor just by talking to me. The building itself so as the location, were nice and exactly what you paid for. For the staff, I rather pay more than stay there again.

For the low cost, it was better than I expected. Might have to do it again.

• 15th Jun 2013

Private rooms are extremely small. Bathroom facilities are separate to the rooms. Common areas can be improved. Location of hostel is good, short walk to Grand central Station. Biggest plus for this hostel is that it has a large, modern and fully equipped gym on the ground floor. Would suit anymore whom is trying to maintain their fitness whilst traveling.

Wifi didn't work.

• 14th Jun 2013

I stayed with my sister in this hotel for 3 nights, the rooms are really really small, but the location of the hotel makes up for it, it is really closed to Times Square and it's in a safe area. If you're JUST looking for a cheap place to sleep in NYC I totally recommend this one. I read some reviews that the staff had bad attitude, but in my case that was completely the opposite, the staff were always incredible nice and helpfull with us. So I would stay here again. good money-quality ratio

• 13th Jun 2013
  • El Salvador

Everything is great there. Just a comment about the Wifi, which does not work if you are not in the lobby, so we always need to get down to use it.

Staff were amazing very friendly and helpful. Room was very clean and housekeeping came even though we only there for two days. The location is brilliant just 10 minute walk to grand central station. The facilities were brilliant free wifi with a great connection , airport shuttle for only $20 and held our bags in a safe room for the day after we checked out for only $2. I would definitely stay here again thank you

• 11th Jun 2013

not sure that are bed bugs or mosquitos.

• 9th Jun 2013
  • China

Excellent location and facilities. Rooms are dull and (very) small, but I suppose to be expected for the price. Staff are mostly very helpful - only let down by one of the reception staff.

The frontdesk staff were very helpful and controled very hard the bags left after checkout. One of the elevators were broken and the showers were with very dirty floors. Worth a try (good value).

Staff was really nice except the lady at check out, a lovely smile at six am would have been great especially as all the other colleagues during the day and night were great. The matress could do with a replacement but other than that price and location were good!

The location was by far the best part! So close to all you need, other then walking a few blocks for the subway(not far at all). The rooms were small, but had every thing you need. No curfew was great and you have access to gym and pools! The only complaint is the staff! Not friendly or helpful at all. Any question we had(reguarding places to go or info about other hostels) if answered, had attitude and frustration. It seems like none of them like their job! Otherwise...we enjoyed our stay!!

• 2nd Jun 2013

No value for money

The rooms could definitely use maintenance - the electric outlet in my room only worked if you angled the plug a particular way, and then only one socket (the 2nd didn't work at all). Of the 3 ladies' showers on the floor, 1 was roped off & obviously nonworking. The ladies toilet had no paper towels for most of my first day there. However, the staff were great, the bed was acceptable, the a/c worked & the location was perfect

• 31st May 2013