Vanderbilt YMCA Reviews

224 East 47th St., NY 10017, New York, USA

I had a very pleasant stay in this hostel ! Ideal situation, near from facilities. Quiet & tidy place ! Not so expensive for an hostel in Manhattan :) Employees were so welcoming and nice . Attentive and efficient to enquiries, in fact I asked for an individual and refurbished room and I had it :) thanks for this :) when I'll come back to New York, I'll book in this hostel. I'll also recommend it to my friends for their stay !!! The room was so comfortable :) Excellent services offered !!! ;)

• 3rd Oct 2013
  • Ludivine75

The staff of Vanderbilt YMCA hostel should really learn how to be kind and usefull sometimes. The hotel and its location are good for the price but the staff sucks...

This hostel is pretty good, but I had lots of problems with the wi-fi network.

• 3rd Oct 2013

I had a pleasant stay. I stayed two times during 2 weeks of being in the States, en route to and from a friend's wedding. I was seeking something bang in the middle of Manhattan and I pretty much got it. The room can be shabby if you were expecting 3* plus but I slept alright - brought me back to my student days. Staff are extremely helpful and friendly. Warning to the guys tho - I stayed on two different floors. Sixth floor bathroom is ok but fifth floor bathroom stinks like a sewer.

For the single traveler, this is perfect. The bed is comfy, a chair and desk with drawers, a little refrigerator, a little noisy air conditioner (perfect for blocking out other city/hallway noises), a miniature TV, hanging rack, and mirror. The bathroom and shower is down the hall. Men at one end, female at the other. Room was clean. Staff attentive. Common bathing area and restroom was cleaned regularly throughout the day. On 47th Street east of Times Square area 10 to 15 minute walk away.

• 1st Oct 2013

I liked the security and privacy of the individual rooms as well as the fact that they had air conditioning, a T.V., and a mini fridge. I thought that the rooms could be cleaner. The public bathrooms definitely could have been cleaner. They weren't awful but weren't as sanitary as they could be. I also think that if there were more restrooms per floor, that would be ideal.

• 27th Sep 2013

The hotel was very good an well situates

• 26th Sep 2013
  • Spain

I enjoyed my stay. There are however two concerns: 1. The concierge is rather impatient - i really think he could explain things better and patiently. If I ask you how to get to WTC you just don't say 43rd street because as a tourist, I don't know NY and therefore don't have any clue where 43rd street is. 2. The front desk could be friendlier - for example, my key stopped working. I phone the front desk and all the lady said come down stairs as opposed to let me bring you another key

• 23rd Sep 2013
  • South Africa

We had 3 nights at Vanderbilt, which has an excellent location. Also, just on the other side of the street there is a great breakfast place, Bread & Butter. Staying at Vanderbilt was ok, although staff not the most friendly. Room cleaners also by mistake snapped my own white towel. We can definitely recommend Vanderbilt though, not at least because of its location.

Great location, for rooms they are an extra bathroom. But for swimming pool, you need swimming cap (your own or for 20 dollars). Rooms clean, an elevator. The best choice for stay in New York. We enjoyed it.

Staff at the check in counter were extremely rude. Didn't have my reservation then told me it was my fault for contacting them directly to change it. Argued with me and laughed after I'd waited for 6 hours for my room. Room was basic and tidy, cable tv. Bathrooms were clean and private. Great location, really easy to get to everything, walking distance to Central Park and Times Square.

I´LL REPEAT IF I COME BACK TO NYC. I THINK THAT THE LOCATION IS PERFECT, AND THE HOSTEL IS GOOD. THE ONLY PROBLEM IS THAT THE BATHROOM ARE A LITTLE BIT OLD.

• 16th Sep 2013
  • Spain

The rooms are EXTREMELY small. The kitchen has NO cutlery and NO dishwashing detergent. We had to wash the pots and pans used with just water wich is very unsanitary.

Avoid the queeny guy on the front desk - very rude and unwelcoming. Try and go for the lady who sits next to him on the front desk.

it was very good

• 14th Sep 2013
  • India

Everything was top notch!

Great location; it is really close to everything. I enjoyed the swimming pool, too. The lightning in the room was horrendous. Overall a good place to stay, terribly expensive, but everything is expensive in NY.

• 10th Sep 2013
  • Chile

This hostel is clean, quiet, comfortable bed, bathroom facilities is adequate, good laundry facilities (although a coin machine would be helpful, as reception doesn't change them for you). I think the security is good, but the young male security guards are very arrogant. Not bad for the price.

Very good location.

• 7th Sep 2013
  • Japan

The Vanderbilt Y was a little bit strange for us, who had never stayed in a Y before. It was clean an safe and the location is quiet close to many attractions an Metro-Stations. We stayed in a 2 bed bunk-room which had the size of a closet. Moving around in the room as two was impossible so one of us had to stay in the bed while the other was moving ;-)