Vanderbilt YMCA Reviews

224 East 47th St., NY 10017, New York, USA

great location. room was nice but staff unfriendly at the YMCA counter no help and did not provide friendly support to me a stranger in town. I found the YHA staff really friendly. maybe staff at YMCA could be taught how to man the desks. The security staff were really friendly and helpful.

I enjoyed my stay here. The only drawback is the lack of breakfast. It looks much more to a hotel than a hostel. It's huge, there are no dorms and no "living room" like space. Very good value for money though.

Ours was a pretty basic set-up: one bunk-bed, a desk, small fridge, and communal bathroom. All were kept very clean and well stocked, but the building reflects its age. But you can't beat the price for a place to sleep after a great day wandering NYC. The only minor complaint is that the window AC units were very loud.

• 28th Jun 2013

A Had wonderful staying and looking forward to be back again :)

• 28th Jun 2013
  • Philippines

Room/restroom were clean, room temperature great! Staff nice. There are three showers for woman in the 4th floor were I was, I hope YMCA replaces the tiles, and provide a better experience, too much mold growing out of the tiles. All restroom are shared by many guests, so its always moist. NEW TILES!! Location fine, I paid bout $86. I slept well, comfy but small bed, was quiet and I would stay there again if I need to be in the area. Not much of a place to socialize with other guests though

Not bad, not great. Typical dorm room. Bed was hard as a rock.

the staffs just don't know the word "service quality". the facilities was great but its too money oriented. We had to pay for luggage storage which usually is not the case in Asian countries

It was an excellent place to stay, but hat's all it was really. Great to have access to the pool and the gym, but there was no sense of community. I recently stayed in the Getaway Hostel in Chicago where they have a well-developed sense of the hostel community and actively foster that. It works very well. Also there should be a laundry for guests. Lots of people staying at hostels are on extended holidays and need to wash clothes. It's not Ok to be doing it in a communal bathroom handbasin.

• 22nd Jun 2013

Friendly staff. Excellent location. Spartan room but comfortable.

• 21st Jun 2013

The people at the front desk with computers seem to be like angry.

• 18th Jun 2013
  • Spain

Location was exelent, the staff were helpfull and friendley,. The bathrooms were always clean as were the sheets. I was on the forth floor, a newley renovated room, it had a small flat screen TV and a small fridge, everything I wanted.

Staying at Vanderbilt YMCA changed my idea about a "non profit" organization. I was hoping for a friendly and fun place, I got the opposite. Mainly foreigner students, staying monthly, i think that's what they value mainly, monthly paying students. The staff made me feel horrible, like if they were doing me a favor just by talking to me. The building itself so as the location, were nice and exactly what you paid for. For the staff, I rather pay more than stay there again.

For the low cost, it was better than I expected. Might have to do it again.

• 15th Jun 2013

Private rooms are extremely small. Bathroom facilities are separate to the rooms. Common areas can be improved. Location of hostel is good, short walk to Grand central Station. Biggest plus for this hostel is that it has a large, modern and fully equipped gym on the ground floor. Would suit anymore whom is trying to maintain their fitness whilst traveling.

Wifi didn't work.

• 14th Jun 2013

I stayed with my sister in this hotel for 3 nights, the rooms are really really small, but the location of the hotel makes up for it, it is really closed to Times Square and it's in a safe area. If you're JUST looking for a cheap place to sleep in NYC I totally recommend this one. I read some reviews that the staff had bad attitude, but in my case that was completely the opposite, the staff were always incredible nice and helpfull with us. So I would stay here again. good money-quality ratio

• 13th Jun 2013
  • El Salvador

Everything is great there. Just a comment about the Wifi, which does not work if you are not in the lobby, so we always need to get down to use it.

Staff were amazing very friendly and helpful. Room was very clean and housekeeping came even though we only there for two days. The location is brilliant just 10 minute walk to grand central station. The facilities were brilliant free wifi with a great connection , airport shuttle for only $20 and held our bags in a safe room for the day after we checked out for only $2. I would definitely stay here again thank you

• 11th Jun 2013

not sure that are bed bugs or mosquitos.

• 9th Jun 2013
  • China

Excellent location and facilities. Rooms are dull and (very) small, but I suppose to be expected for the price. Staff are mostly very helpful - only let down by one of the reception staff.