Venice Beach Hostel Reviews

1515 Pacific Avenue, Venice, Los Angeles, California, USA

Excellent staff at the reception. Very friendly and helpful. However, when we made our booking we received unprofessional and rude emails from Mark about advanced payments. Wifi was up and down. Great breakfast and dinners. Even if the room was cleaned every days, there was a strong smell. Excellent location, right by the beach.

• 26th May 2013

If you want the cheapest stress free experience at the beach this is the right place. The price is good and their is free food for dinner and breakfast ( I should say that it is included).All meals were vegetarian. There is free parking within walking distance. The hostel is in a slightly run down section of Venice beach but there is still places to go for a drink or some lunch and it is super close to very nice places if you want to walk around or splurge on some good food.

• 25th May 2013

Nice place, nice crew =)

• 25th May 2013

The bed in my room was very uncomfy but my room was beautiful. I had a view of the ocean and afternoon sunshine. I would have been happy to live there! Free food was an awesome addition.

good place room was clean nice and friendly staff good location if you want to see Venice too faraway for LA centre

• 8th May 2013

I always like to stay in Venice beach when I am in LA, and this hostel the best location for that. The staff are good they do a nice breakfast and the dorm rooms even have there own bathrooms. They had a karaoke night on while I was there which was good fun. This hostel has great character.

Where do I start... Upon arrival they tried to charge us for a night we had cancelled weeks before, staff were rude and unfriendly and it became apparent that their hostile attitudes were due to poor management who seemed to want to take advantage of young travellers. We were treated like scum, told very rudely that you could only have 1 egg OR waffles, not both. In the common area, no one spoke, it was as if the staff/ managements attitudes had rubbed off. Worst hostel I have ever stayed in.

Great localization- only 3 min from Venice Beach, nice resto near (MAO’s resto recommended), surf and bike rentals just in the corner, small shops also. We stayed in privet room- it was big, we actually had 4 rooms :)small closet; small room with sink, table, window; bathroom and bedroom. It was clean and had everything we needed. Nice personnel, nice common areas –though we did not actually use it. One remark – be early at the breakfast:). I recommend this hostel and would return there.

I really liked it here. Friendly staff and great location. I booked a single room and got a huge private room with 2 double beds and private bathroom. WiFi was free and generally worked ok, although I couldn`t get a signal in my room. I was disappointed that all of the common areas closed between 3am and 8am (I was jet-lagged and awake most of the night) but the receptionist gave me an extra 30 mins to finish my Skype call which was good. Will definitely stay again on my way back through LA.

The hostel itself is pretty average, nothing special at all. The location is good though, literally steps from the beach and just a few blocks to the bars and restaurants. I didn't like the guys on reception, Carl, in particular was quite rude and seemd annoyed at having to make extra waffle mix at 10.15am even though breaky is served until 10.30am. Terrible luggage storage system, anyone could take your stuff.

We had a great time! Felt like a classy hotel for real cheap!!

• 20th Apr 2013

Not the best - I'm not precious but it's be nice if you get what you paid for which I didn't feel we did. The "computers in rooms" thing is not entirely accurate (when I mentioned this to a fellow guest she laughed and basically said that they put that there to get bookings!). On returning from a night out, the common area looked like a wake was taking place. Do yourself a favour and pay an extra few bucks a night, get a hotel in Santa Monica or similar and give this place a miss.

• 16th Apr 2013

I loved this place! It is in an awesome location, very close to the beach. The rooms are nice, the staff are helpful and the facilities, wifi etc are good. Free breakfast and dinner is good. Will be back for sure :) thank you.

Although it was a memorable experience, I would prefer a more mature crowd. Many people were talking about getting high and drinking....LAME. I liked being able to walk downstairs right to the beach, and the kitchen was big too. If you like to smoke, this is the place for you, because they allow that indoors.

The guy at reception was very rude. And I shared a room with 9 other girls so showering was an issues. I wasn't told if there was other shared bathrooms. I actually only ended up staying 1 night and going to a different hostel. Price wasn't even that reasonable considering.

I took a private room which was still a very good deal. Not flash but all mod-coms available and a good size. A basic dinner and breakfast is included or you can cook your own. You could be very social here or just do your own thing. 1 hour by very cheap bus to all main attractions is ok with me.

The atmosphere of the hostel is very nice, but the building needs to be renew and get better

• 2nd Mar 2013
  • Spain

Smoking near the eating area is allowed in VBH - which is not a good idea.

Perfect location! Amazing staff! Huge rooms! Free breakfast! 2 extra large gathering areas, big kitchen.. How can you go wrong? I can't recommend this place highly enough, absolutely loved it!

• 5th Feb 2013

We were a little concerned about cleanliness in the hostel when we arrived, and also about safety in the area. The hostel is quite old and run-down, and needs some general building maintenance. However, the price was very good, and the location excellent, only a few hundred yards from the beach. We had a beach view out of one window. Our room was clean and well prepared for us. The staff were excellent, very friendly and helpful, and reassured us about safety. We would happily stay again.