Vertigo Centre Reviews

42 rue de petites maries, Marseille, France

Great staff and helpful staff. Very clean and spacious. We had the private twin ensuite so it was basically just like a hotel but without the price tag!! Whilst everything was within walking distance when you go down the street there are heaps of men both young and old just sitting on the street staring at you as you go by. It was quite uncomfortable but easily fixed by taking a 2 min detour to avoid the area. Would stay at this hostel again and highly recommend!!

Pros: - Great location right across from the train station - 6 bed mixed room has 2 private showers en suite - You return the keys to reception every time you leave so there's no worry about misplacing them Cons: - Lockers don't work so don't expect to lock your things - I noticed when staff was busy they didn't always lock the baggage storage area

Breakfast is an additional 5€, it's unnecessarily expensive. However just a few doors down towards the train stations there is a "Boulangerie Pâtisserie". This is the friendliest bakery you will ever find. Open 24 hours ("eyes always open") they make brilliant pizza, croissants and pain au chocolat are 70c, baguettes are fresh and there is a selection of North African pastries. For a cheap meal go to a kebab shop, you can be picky about friendliness the best we found was on Boulevard Athènes.

Everything is fairly new. Room where clean. Staff is wonderful and I met very nice and interesting people. It's a ten minutes walk from Vieuw Port, the vibrating heart of Marseille and right next to the train station, soooo convenient! Loved it! :-)

• 10th Apr 2015
  • Belgium

I thought, it was quite noisy. But maybe it's just my age.. ;-)

Thiw hostel was really wonderful..The recepsionist was very kind and helpful. As soon as we arrived she gave us a map of the city and showed us where is the metro, the museums, the sights which are worth visiting. She was willing to help us with anything we wanted and although her knowledge of english was not excellent she still tried to explain us and satisfy us. I totally reccomend it as it is really good vaue for money and it gives you the opportunity to feel like local for a while!!!!

• 3rd Apr 2015
  • Greece

Had a great one night stay at Vertigo. Really liked the vibe and the layout of the hostel. I stayed in a 16 bed room but it didn't feel like it because it was separated by a sort of loft part, plus I had my own bed (some were bunk beds and some were singles). And it's so close to the train station which is a plus! Would definitely recommend it

Pros: Nice staff. They talk a bunch of languages. Good place to meet people too. Cons: No "Don't disturb" hanging service signal available. No shower holder in bathroom. Thin walls.

• 2nd Apr 2015
  • Spain

Had so much fun staying here! Even the biggest dorm was really spacious and the atmosphere was so cool.

Great group of people providing service. Kind and friendly. Available all the time for providing any help, information or advice. Not a beautiful place; is an old building with basic decor. Bad signal at the rom but is better to spend time mixing and mingle wih different people on the living room. Location perfect in terms of convenience although is an ugly neighbourhood but did not feel unsafe.

• 31st Mar 2015
  • Venezuela

The breakfast for which I paid 5 euros on the first two consecutive mornings was very weak. The personnel invoked the excuse that there were no orange juice and milk more, so we had to eat croissant with water (although there was coffee, tea). They should precis in advance what the breakfast would include precisely.

Nice and helpful Staffel,also the location is great. Perfect if you are arriving by train as it s in Front of the Main train Station.

The atmosphere there was really good, met a lot of nice people from all round the world, really gives you a very homely feel. The staff were also really great and friendly and of great help. I lost my RayBan glasses there and i am pretty sure i was taken. But overall the experience was great.

• 20th Mar 2015
  • Nepal

Nice hostel, very close to the train station. However, the neighborhood does not seem to be the safest, especially the walk towards the old port. I do recommend the hostel.

great place! the kitchen and common room were great for meeting people - everyone just started talking with everyone, on through the night. the people of the hostel made my stay in marseille unforgettable.

Well we loved the sister hostel close to the train station so go there.. We would DEFINETLY stay there again. This hostel however, is not recommended. The wifi was horrible everywhere. The kitchen was not well equipped, the chairs were falling apart. There were no lockers and the lady wouldn't even lock up our passports. The location is fine if you want to be close to the port. We stayed in the large dorm, which only has one bathroom. The atmosphere is strange. Would not stay here again.

Great hostel, funny evening, nice staff!

Stayed in 16 mix dorm: room comfortable size, clean, nice showers. Didn't feel very secure. Front desk offered use of safe to keep valuables, but would have been nicer in room (my lock didn't work on the lockers). Great location, across from train station, 15 min walk to the port. A bit sketchy at night though. Friendly staff, went through the map with me with recommendations. Nice common area, smaller kitchen. Recommended.

A great hostel with extremely friendly and helpful staff. Felt right at home. Good location in the city centre and easy walking to the train station.

It was a really nice night in Vertigo centre, even if short. I loved so much the decor and the furniture, and the niceness of the staff. Recommended

• 26th Oct 2014