Vertigo Centre Reviews

42 rue de petites maries, Marseille, France

The staff was the best part of my stay. They were all EXTREMELY helpful and accommodating. They were also very cool people and good for a chat. I am very grateful to the staff.

• 1st Aug 2015

cool hostel cool people awesome wifi!!

For that price per room/night I think you should provide (good working) wifi in the hole Hostel, especially in the room. An da hairdryer would be nice too.

• 31st Jul 2015

Security wasn't that good, it wasn't necessary but it surprised me that anyone could just walk in and ask for the key number. Even if the staff had switched and didn't see me or my friend before, they just gave us the key we asked for without checking. It seemed that anybody could easily get in.

• 30th Jul 2015

Great hostel, stayed in a 16 bed dorm which is extremely spacious, the breakfast for €5 is great, has everything you want and you can take as much as you like, hostel is perfectly clean and staff are very friendly. As for the location, I think its fine, i read many complaints about this hostel being in a bad area, that is completely untrue, the hostel is right across the road from the main bus and train station and is in a perfectly safe area. Would 100% stay again, great hostel and great price

Did not find area unsafe, however as with most hostels near a train station was not in the best part of town. Staff were very helpful, they helped us with transport information to get around and visit places out of town. Room was beautiful! Looked like it had been freshly finished and the facilities in the room were good. Kitchen only had a hotplate though. Saw a rat in the courtyard between the rooms but no other signs of any other dirt.

• 29th Jul 2015

Right next to the train station so good location. Marseille doesent have a lot to offer so perfect for a few nights. The rooms are pretty basic and is fine if you are used to just a fan at night in the heat. The cleaner is very thorough but security is poor as no lockers. Staff are lovely and kitchen is kitted out to cook with a supermarket very close by. The outside area is the perfect size to meet people and is quite rustic. It is expensive, but that is the south coast for you.

Me and my niece spent one night in the hostel. Everything was fine. Location is very good, just opposite to the train station, the place is clean and cosy. Bit expensive.

• 29th Jul 2015

The hostel is not in a good area of Marseille. My friend and I didn't not feel comfortable or safe walking around the area. One night we couldn't even go get food because we didn't feel safe walking the streets.

It's in the Muslim part of town, so if you are a solo female, make friends with some males at the hostels because the men outside of the hostel are creeps

The hostel itself is fairly nice and it's great that it is only over the road from the station. The area isn't nice at all, you feel quite unsafe in it. No lockers anywhere for your bags. Wifi is only available at the reception. Breakfast is €5 for a coffee and quasont. I know a couple of girls who left and spent £130 on a hotel instead because they felt so unsafe here. It shouldn't be so expensive, the only thing that it is close to is the train station and thousands of homeless people.

I think it is quite incorrect: Breakfast is 5€, it is a ALL YOU CAN EAT BUFFET and we offer: Coffee, orange juice, milk, 4 different types of tea bags, and cappuccino. To eat you have croissant, pain au chocolat, fresh baguette and 3 types of cereals As for spreads, you can have: butter, different type of jam, honey, nutella.

great atmosphere great bar and nice rooms.

There should be a place to savely store Money

Hey! There is, we have a safe at reception. We can keep money, passports and valuables down there! Maybe next time?? All the best

Vertigo Centre was a great fit- super close to public transit (bus, tram and train stations), remarkably clean and sizable bathrooms and great common spaces. Front desk staff was particularly helpful in helping us figure out best modes of transport for day trips and things to do and see in town. Highly recommend.

The hostel is good and the location is stellar.

This hostel is great! Really good location as its over the road from the train station. The staff were really friendly. The rooms and bathrooms are really clean and tidy and they are kept cool which is perfect in this weather. Beds are comfy, plug sockets next to beds and wifi in the room. Would definitely recommend and stay here again.

Really nice hostel, good vibes and all round a lovely place to stay.

The location is nice for the proximity to the train station however that is about it. It's definitely not an area of town you want to just be wandering around in, especially at night. The hostel was pretty average. Staff was nice but the room we were in had no locks on the doors and the lockers were unlockable for anyone with a normal travel size lock. The beds were clean and the bathrooms were nice and clean as well.

The hostel is literally steps from the station, super easy to find. The atmosphere inside was great, loved having the little courtyard in the middle. Staff were knowledgeable and friendly. The downside is that the hostel is in a bad neighbourhood. As a solo female traveler I could not go out alone at night.

The location is very bed, in the middle of the ghetto, although very close to the train station. I wouldn't recommend it to women traveling on their own. Other than this, the hostel is very cool, they have a nice outdoors area and it's pretty clean. Another thing that bothered me is that one night the hostel door was close at like 3am and I had to knock so many times and wait for so long until the staff guy would wake up to open the door for me.

A ghetto?? Come on!! Marseille don't have ghettos, people are going to think we accomodate guests in woodhouses with no water nor electricity ;) Maybe you didn't notice but there is a bell on the door! It is easier than knocking on the door, sometimes night auditors are downstairs to organise our storage room, maybe they didn't hear you. Sorry for that! We are happy to know that you liked the place anyway.