Victoria Hall II Reviews

281 Upper Brook Street, Manchester, England

May be ok for students but not really appropriate for members of the public who may stay as block was too noisy.

• 14th Jul 2014
  • Scotland

Caretaker was a top bloke and everything was simple but clean would definitely recommend, especially because they took a group of guys on a stag do, didn't expect that!

• 3rd Aug 2013

Clean, safe and not far from the city centre, wasnt much of a party vibe though at the Halls

This place is close to the hospitals and universities, but a good half hour's walk away from the centre of town (there are buses). It was also infuriating to gain access to initially, as Vic Hall II is not signed, and Vic Hall's reception is never open, even during the times on the door that it says it should be, necessitating a phone call to the caretaker - really annoying when you have no phone and there are no phone boxes or shops about. Other that that, fantastic - quiet, clean, good value.

Very handy location....reasonably priced for what u get...nothing fancy..just what we were looking for...staff friendly and efficient. Would definately use again!

The rooms were very clean and secure but my shower didn't work so I had to use my friend's. It was easy to get into town on the bus from the stop accross the road and a taxi home was only £5-6. Well worth the money overall.

I was shocked at the fact that you were expected to bring your own linen/bedding- was not provided, luckily I had my own but staying in a rented room.

• 2nd Aug 2009
  • British Virgin Islands

I was very pleased with the facilities provided at Victoria Hall II. The only down side was I had a long 30min+ walk back from the city centre each night, last bus midweek was about midnight. I could have taken a taxi (cost about £5) but on a dry night the walk was okay and I felt safe on the long, broad, well lit road. I would consider returning despite the walk back.

a phone number would be useful for contacting hostel prior to arrival. even 118 could not find one!!! otherwise excellent. simple, clean rooms and close enough to centre

Quite a walk from the vity centre but there are a load of bus route just outside the front enterance . There is one bus (The 147 I think) which is subsidised by the universities and hospitals and is a 50p flat fare into the city centre . The room was claen and tidy shower nice and hot although the water pressure not great . I'd certainly think about stayingh here again if on a quick trip like I was this time .

• 15th Jul 2009
  • Geordie_Paul

Little late review (I stayed last year) but I thought I should put something down at least. Very pleased with my stay at Victoria Hall II. Staff were friendly, very secure building (you get a key fob to open gates and doors) and room was nice and clean. Would stay here again.

The mattress is too soft, and so are the pillows.The sheets are not marked ( though assumed ) being cleansed before use.

Great budget accommodation, all you need and 15 mins walk from talk ( well maybe 20 ).

Reception keeps very limited hours, but the caretaker is there 24 hours. It's a basic student room, en suite, and shared kitchen - the kitchen was rather dingy but OK. There's a Tesco Metro just along the road that'll sell food, and a couple of bars 5min away. There's a regular daytime bus route outside, and for evenings/nights there are busses on Oxford Road all night.

the carpet is dirty.

Well the place is not in a good location for trains or anything but I knew that before booking, but when I arrived Friday night, the guard said I couldn\'t get internet until Monday which was really bad for me. Then the lock on the apartment door was broken, it was still broken when I checked out but the private room locked. Then I went to do laundry and that you also can\'t do on the weekend if you haven\'t already got a card.

This was just a place to crash which did suit me. Kitchen in my block was dirty and had nothing to cook with. The rooms were clean though. Reception was only open at sparatic times throughout the day so was quite hard to ask any questions about the place. Overall i enjoyed the stay.

Would be great if they clean kitchen every time someone moves out. When I arrived, the kitchen was filfy and smelly. Apart for this, good value for money!

A bit surprised that the recption was only open Mon-Fri, 9-10 2-2.30 and 4-5...but the caretaker was really good!!

Very good and helpful staff. Thanks guys.