Vietnam Backpacker Hostels - Downtown Reviews

9 Ma May, Hoan Kiem, Hanoi, Hanoi, Vietnam

This place is in a great location! Great crowd, great staff! Stayed in a private room for one night and a dorm for the second...either of which are great! If you are travelling solo and need to meet people...this is the place to be!

• 21st Jan 2015

Great hostel, great atmosphere. has a really nice ambiance that makes it very easy to meet new people. very good location. the "fun" room is great and the bar is also awesome. the breakfast is also really good. I would definitely come again!

This is the best party hostel! If what you are looking for is a fun and social atmosphere, this hostel is perfect. Staff is really fun and helpful, too. It's honestly as fun as it seems online.

Awesome place. Facilities are great, so are the beds. Definitely able to have a comfortable stay here, meet lots of great people and party your face off if you want. The bar closes early enough (11PM) and takes people to other clubs so you can get a good sleep. They also provide a lot of happy hours/free drinks/shots at the bar downstairs where everyone starts their night. They also will organize Halong bay/Sapa for you which were both quite nice. Their new hotel in Sapa I would also recommend.

Best Hostel I have ever stayed in! Great atmosphere and cool people.

Hey, Thank you for the great review and the fact you have taken the time to give us some feedback. We as a team hope to see you again in the future and that the rest of the travels went well. Downtown Manager

If you want atmosphere this is your place. The downstairs has a great bar/coffee shop/breakfast place/food place with pool tables and large tables so a lot of people can gather and hang out. Need an access key to get to the rooms which is fantastic. The bathrooms are very clean with a shower curtain in place so you have a dry spot to get dressed in. You also need a key to access your room and beds are very comfortable

Dirtiest hostel I've ever stayed at! I had cockroaches walking over my pillow, on the wall and all over the floor. The bathrooms were cleaned every couple of hours. It's a party hostel but the noise stops before midnight. The atmosphere is great, but for me it's more a place where I would go to spend an evening (& sleep in a cleaner place). The hostel is also very big, but has an elevator and plenty of toilets/ washrooms as well as big lockers under the bed.

Hey, Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review and feedback. We do apologize about what happened in regards to the cockroaches. It is a problem we have since dealt with, by closing the rooms affected and bringing in pest control to fumigate them. We hope the rest of the travels went well and that we can see you again in the future. Downtown Manager

This is definitely a party hostel, but the facilities and staff are all great - can't complain about anything. The luggage storage is the most secure I've ever seen so you can leave stuff here while you to go Ha Long Bay. I recommend heading to the right up the street to Friends Travel for booking your Ha Long Bay trips or taxi cabs, you can save a good bit of money this way (also delicious breakfast!).

Good social atmosphere, clean facilities, staff are very helpful and it's a great place to find out about the activities that can be done around Hanoi.

Ok hostel if u don't mind being fleeced while your there! Kitchen and food is by far the worst I have ever tasted. Tours and transfers very expensive taxi from airport is cheaper than their pick up service should only cost max us15 not the 20-25 they suggest on their site. Check in takes forever.

This is a really good hostel with a great wibe! :) Perfect place to meet other backpackers!

Hey, Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review and feedback. We as a team are happy you had a great stay with us. We hope the rest of the travels went well and that we see you again in the future. Cheers, Downtown Manager

I stayed here for 2 nights on my arrival to hanoi. If you like a western drunk party then this is the place for you - the lobby is a bar. It was too loud and too 'Oceania' for me. The worst thing was that on the first night I woke up (I am not kidding here) with over 300 bed bug bites - legs arms forehead stomach back feet hands. There were 30 on my left hand alone. They did not offer me any money back or to do my washing but I did switch beds and rooms. Who knows if they cleaned it....

Everything was great, the cast away your was amazing. Only problem was some of the Vietnamese girl staff were very rude to us, we were sitting having drinks and dinner doing a pub quiz and we have finish our dinner but we had half full drink all on the table we went two seconds to smoke they threw all our drinks out and we're having dinner on our table and when we came back and asked if we could sit back down to finish the pub quiz they just laughed at us and didn't move. So we had to stand up.

Hey, Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review and some feedback. I am saddened to see what happened in the hostel during the pub quiz. I am however happy to see you had a great time out on our Castaway tour. We hope that the rest of your travels went well, and would love to see you again in the future. Downtown Manager

Pricey but fun atmosphere and overall great facilities. Booking tours with them is very expensive though. Bar crawl every night is a great way to meet people and breakfast is awesome!

Brilliant hostel, went on the castaway trip and a home stay organized through the hostel and it was defiantly one of the highlights of my trip! Staff are incredible and super helpful! Definitely coming back to stay here again!

Hey, Thank you for your great review with some amazing feedback. We as a team are very happy to see that you had an amazing stay with us, as well as on our Castaway tour. We hope the rest of your travels went well and that we will see you again in the future. Cheers Downtown Manager

Great time great party. Very clean very fun for a single traveler. Props to Joel, Janek, Josh and Paul

Hey, Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. I am very happy to see you had an amazing time at our hostel. Thank you on the feedback about our hostel. Hope to see you again in the future. Cheers, Downtown Manager

Worst place I have stayed. One guy peed in the dorm room. Asked security to sort it out. They cleaned it up and let him stay another night! On a different evening people copulating etc. Gave feedback but staff uninterested just said to fill out a feedback form. Breakfast alright though and staff generally very nice. Social place but don't stay if you have a minimum standard of self respect.

• 5th Jan 2015

Hey, I am saddened to hear that you did not have a good experience at our hostel. We do appreciate you taking your time to give us feedback, as we always want to act on any dissatisfaction, and to provide a better service for everyone. Since this review we have had a lot of training in regards to dealing with problems like these. We hope the rest of your travels went well. Downtown Manager

The only hostel I've ever given 100% across! Ive traveled a lot, this is the best hostel! I was there 4 years ago (just opened) and had an amazing time (halong tour, snake eating, beer pong etc). To the owners Mark&Johannes: compared with 4y ago, this time it was in slightly worse condition (bed lights creaky etc). Mark&Johannes are extremely useful, friendly and knowledgeable, but the Vietnamese staff is useless and the breakfast counter ladies are very rude. Viet. staff was much better 4y ago.

Loud at night through party people in front of the hostel!

Hey, Thank you for taking the time and leaving us a review and feedback. Our Original hostel in Hanoi is a lot quieter location that would have maybe been a better choice for you, if your are looking for something quieter in the future. Thank you for giving us some feedback and hope to see you again in the future. Cheers, Downtown Manager

This was my first time at this kind of backpackers hostel and it wasn't really my scene. As a lone backpacker I found it a little overwhelming and it was definitely not the greatest choice for my first night in Hanoi being super jetlagged. If I had been with friends I think this would have been way more fun, but alone I felt pretty awkward.

Hey, Thank you for taking the time and leaving us a review and feedback. It saddens me to see that you did not have the best stay with us. Maybe our Original location would have suited you more, being a more chilled out and more intimate vibe. It is an excellent location to meet people, especially as a solo traveler. We hope the rest of your travels went well. Cheers, Downtown Manager