Vita Nova Reviews

Oosterdok T/O 4, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Informing people that they have to check out before 9am even though the website clearly lists 10.30am (which is also pretty early, most hotels/hostels will allow 11am or 12pm), upon their arrival (and with no upfront notice) is mean and unprofessional. People come to Amsterdam to go out and party, no one wants to get up before 8 to get breakfast before 8.30.

I didn't stay there as I had to return to Australia early, due to illness

• 23rd Jun 2015

The beds were comfortable (even considering they were boat bunks). The wifi worked great. The breakfast was fantastic with much variety!

Seen various reviews of this place, some good and poor, maybe it has been through change . I stayed in a cabin below and found it very almost third world. The deck smelt of sewage as the unventilated toilets just perminated the whole area. The very confined toilet/shower cubicle exposes you to the toilet bin that is often over filled with feacal soiled paper. The pillows and doona blankets are soiled with various stains. The host was some what helpful but was rude to Asian guest

• 20th Jun 2015

Not very far from the central station. But there's no wifi in the room and no shower after 10.00 pm.

The Vita Nova is a wonderful place to stay. The directions to get to the correct dock/slip were very confusing, but as soon as I got there, everything went swimmingly. It's an easy walk from the Centrale train station, and there are lots of lovely pedestrian paths around to take leisurely walks. The included breakfast was wonderful, and the staff are friendly and kind. The rooms are tiny but lovely-- of course; it's a boat! If I ever find my way back to Amsterdam, I know exactly where I'll stay!

• 20th May 2015

The lady who ran the boat was the best. My credit card was being silly and she let me stay the first night even though I wasn't able to pay yet. She was very helpful when I asked for directions around town. Breakfast was yummy. Everything seemed very clean. There were only a few downfalls. For one, the wifi turns off at 10:30, but I guess that just encourages one to sleep early so they can get up early the next day.

What a lovely gentleman working there very helpful :)

• 29th Apr 2015

Staying on a houseboat is fun for the novelty but I'm glad we did not do it for more than a couple nights. This hostel was clean and in a great location, and the included breakfast was good. We expected a tiny room and actually enjoyed the room, the main thing that bothered us was the noise in the morning since the walls are so thin. The shower is a bit awkward just tacked on the wall of a bathroom and you can't use it after 10pm, but again, it is clean. We enjoyed our stay here.

Great fun staying on a boat! Snug quarters but very cozy. Breakfast is a feast! Cold cuts, breads, fruit, cereal, coffee, tea, juice, tomatoes and cucumbers. Very much enjoyed my stay.

I loved staying at this hostel. Monica was an excellent host and incredibly kind and welcoming. The breakfast provided was amazing, and very helpful for a long day of exploring the Netherlands. The hostel was about 10 minutes from the station and was easy to find. The hostel had a nice atmosphere and was perfect for tourists. I shared a bedroom with a friend of mine and felt there was plenty of space. I would definitely recommend the Vita Nova!

• 20th Apr 2015

A tad too crowded and not that cozy. People come and go in crowds, while the hostel feels crummy. Note that it is situated in the most 'party-hard' location of Amsterdam, which means that you can find yourself surrounded by drunk or stoned youngsters pretty easily. Also, I was surprised by the staff's rude behavior, when one of them even joked about my nationality when I was about to get my key. They mostly just look busy most of the time though. Breakfast is just coffee,bread and marmalade.

This was a great value for money hostel, suited more to young people and a short stays, as the accommodation is quite small, and the beds are typical boat-cabin style and not majorly comfortable. Would recommend taking your own pillow if you have enough luggage space, as the one provided is quite thin. Great location with lovely views, the breakfast was lovely and the atmosphere very friendly. Didn't have to wait much for toilet or shower, but maybe because we weren't there at peak time.

• 13th Apr 2015

Great stay on the boat, if you don't mind tiny rooms, and showers it's great. Very friendly staff great help with directions etc. Great location! Close to the main city. Had the odd noisy people at night but nothing major.

• 11th Apr 2015
  • New Zealand

its a n'ce and war place ' l'ke 't

• 5th Apr 2015
  • Turkey

Excellent value for money. It's cheap, clean and different. I would definately use this hostel again. A great alternative way to stay in a city for a very reasonable price.

• 27th Mar 2015

Had agreat sleep at this hostel!! Beds good and room was nice and quite :) the male owner was lovely and helpful :) would defo vist again!!!

• 26th Mar 2015

Our staying was good as before however I would prohibit dogs on the ship because somebody closed his/her dog next to our room and it was crying hours in the middle of the night.

The man who ran it was very helpful and nice and funny. He gave us a double bed with an en suite when we arrived and did not charge us any extra money! The rooms are small but you're on a boat! And theyre very cute and cosey and warm. Considering the amount of guests there it was very quiet. The breakfast was lovely with a lot of option, really nice views in the morning. We loved it!

• 11th Mar 2015

We had a nice stay. It takes 10 or 15 minutes to get to some of the more desirable parts of Amsterdam, but wasn't too terribly far. Only one men's toilet and one women's toilet. There were showers in the rooms, which was nice but the rooms were so small. Staff was nice enough and helpful. It was fun staying on a boat, and relatively cheap compared with the rest of the options I found around the city, so I'd say I enjoyed my stay.