Vita Nova Reviews

Oosterdok T/O 4, Amsterdam, Netherlands

The hostel was in a good position, from where it was possible to reach the main parts of Amsterdam in few minutes by walk. The Lady who welcomed us was really friendly and she was the only one in my 2weeks trip who highlighted all the tourist attractions. As normal to be expected from a boat, the beds, toilets and bedrooms weren't big, yet they were comfortable and was nice to stay there. Very much appreciate having the breakfast in the morning too.

Hotel is extremely easy to find. Brad and Monica were excellent, helpful hosts. Great spread for breakfast. Only negative was the barely-noticeable wifi, which was tested by Speedtest.net as 0.09...

Best hostel in Amsterdam. Save, clean, near everything, great staff, good facilities, good breakfast. It's a BOAT, so everything is TINY...but if you don't expect to hold a party in your room, and just sleep after a long day in the city, then the place is great. I was travelling alone, so the room with 2 beds just for me worked perfectly. But if you are 2 people, you save money and avoid the chaos of other hostels. Shared toilets and showers were clean and no need to wait.

Overall really nice stay! The breakfast was great and the rooms were actually very roomy. Bathrooms were a bit different but there was always one available.

It sort of reminded me of a scaled back version of the boat from The Life Aquatic! It was a bit of a novelty staying in such small quarters. The walls are a bit thin which means you can hear your fellow guests at nighttime (snigger!). I really enjoyed my stay however.

Excellent location...accommodations were a little small, but really cool vibe staying on the boat. Super breakfast & friendly staff!!

The rooms were incredibly small, but what can you really expect for a hostel on a boat. The location was great, just a short walk to the heart of Amsterdam. The woman who ran it was so nice and cooked breakfast for everyone in the morning. I highly recommend this place.

Didn't enjoy our stay here. Found the hostel owner to be too abrasive and blunt, and not very helpful apart from when we first checked in and she showed us various places on the map. Cabins were very small but we expected this when we arrived. Not too far from Central Station but a long way from everything else. I think there are better alternatives to this place.

I think the only saving grace of this place is that it's a houseboat. Other than that, it was a remarkably cramped (to be expected,) impersonal stay in an odd area of Amsterdam. The hostess was modestly friendly, but not accommodating or mindful of guests' needs. My room was a single and was absolutely TINY. I didn't fault the place for this though, because I opted for the boat. The bathrooms were fine, and breakfast was actually extremely generous and delicious. The location was simply...odd.

Amazing breakfast, smiling staff!

• 10th Jun 2014
  • Turkey

Great atmosphere, great location, great breakfast. The rooms are very small, but for two nights it was okay.

My first impression was " wow its a boat" I think staying in a boat is such a great experience especially Amsterdam! my only concern waqs getting to the hostel was a pain in the butt! I was stressed but got there safely! I like the atmosphere because its a boat , Good idea! room was small but im ok with that!

We loved staying in Vitta Nova!!!! The location is excellent, everything was very clean and the boat is just beautiful (we fully recommend going to the upper deck to have a glass of wine in the evening). Brad was very helpful! We rented bikes and cycled everywhere. Breakfast was delicious!!!!

Originally we were very excited to spend two days on a houseboat but did not pay attention to the past reviews. If you're of a larger stature, it is very difficult to fit in the beds and bedrooms. There is no air conditioning or fans in the bedrooms. Even with the small window open, we were constantly sweating and uncomfortable. The staff and the breakfast were excellent

Nice and novel location ( ten minute walk to Centraal) with wafts of super fresh air from the Oosterdok to wake you each morning.That's my kind of atmosphere.Great breakfasts, helpful and pleasant staff,free WIFI: fantastic value for money. The rooms are small (they're cabins, remember),the bathrooms are a bit small too , but what this boat offers is quite amazing, in my opinion.

The single room across from the bathroom and shower does get a little "stinky" at times, but I don't know if that is avoidable. I really enjoyed my time here though - very pretty at night.

Sure the cabins are small but it's cabins, right ? and staying on a boat for a change was really a change. It was quiet at night, the breakfast honourable and the access to both trainstation & city fairly easy on foot.. And not the least, our hostess Monica is a great lady, making people at ease ! Vita Nova, I definitely recommend you :) Christine

• 28th Apr 2014

We really liked the location, because many of sightseeing spots are reachable within walking distance. Also a nice feature is the "sun deck";) The staff was kind and helpful, also the breakfast is pretty good. The rooms are literally small! So for hanging out in the afternoon your room will not be the best option:P The shower and the toilets are small too. If you go early to shower, you will ensure that you have warm water;) Even there are some negative aspects we would definitely recommend

Staying at the VitaNova is definetly an experience --- tiny rooms and bathrooms you need to get used to, but very friendly, helpful staff (thx Brad!!!), excellent breakfast and a superb location! Would stay there again!!!

The breakfast was excellent! Quit close to center. No need to use buses/taxi if are not afraid of walking few steps.

• 19th Apr 2014