Walkabout Reviews

13 Quay Street, Manchester, Manchester, England

Having read some of the other reviews I found myself disappointed with the clean sheets and lack of insects. I somewhat feel some reviewers have been somewhat cosseted in the past. Good as a cheap place in an excellent location in which to crash after a night out in the city. Yes there is some mould and staining, the beds ain't that comfortable, but if all you want is somewhere to put your stuff and be unconscious for several hours, this is a good cheap option.

• 10th Jul 2014

Dirty, dirty, dirty. Super dirty and bad smelling. The bed very unconfortable.

The room was just above a night-club, i could even understand the lyrics, the eraplugs were useless cause of thé vibration. The staff were absent. The room was so badly fit out (no bed light, bad mattress, i've seen that only in Democratic Republic of Congo.

• 4th Jul 2014

Not a hostel i would be recommending anytime soon, the atmosphere was dead, i saw two other people the whole three days. The place itself was disgustingly unclean ,there was a smell of urine in the elevator, a piece of the bath was broken off and i found chewing gum embedded into the carpet in my room. Although it was cheap it still wasn't worth what we paid for it. a homeless shelter would offer better services, i was very dissapointed

The room wasn't clean, and there was no shower curtain. Staff were friendly and polite though.

• 7th Jun 2014

The staff there were completely beyond reproach, apologetic and helpful. Particularly Alexis who was superb... however, the hostel itself was the worst place in the world. Indeed at times it felt like Prison Break 3rd series, where in Sona Prison they are subject to squalor, mould, damp, noise and fear. The place was a dump, 5 people in our party refused to stay and instead slept in a van (which had a broken window), It really was that bad. Oh and since getting home we're all covered in bites!

• 6th Jun 2014

Nice place, nice staff... Helped us with luggage.. I totally recommend. Good price for what they offer.

It's decent for the price, well locales but it's not that clean and the club downstairs can be heard from the rooms. Definitly room for improvement

• 2nd May 2014

Would have been good to have some form of lockers to be able to securely store belongings during day on more than one night stay. Mattresses were also in need of replacement as they were very springy, but other than that a satisfactory stay if you can fall asleep before the music starts

• 2nd May 2014

worst hostel that i've ever been

I loved my stay at Walkabout. The room was light, airy and clean. The bathroom was situated in the room. I loved the location, it was conveniently situated and I was within walking distance of the venue of the gig I went to on Saturday night, which was not far from the Arndale shopping centre. The member of staff I spoke to was friendly and helpful. It was excellent value for money.

The staff didn`t give me attention. The corridors were really dirty, inclusively the entrance hall.

• 12th Apr 2014

I have stayed at the Walkabout before, but it's become even worse. The beds are terrible, everything is broken, windows won't shut properly and the carpets are simply disgusting. That's a real shame because it's located rahter perfectly and they could make it a nicer place with so little effort...

• 10th Apr 2014

Excellent location, good atmosphere!

• 6th Apr 2014
  • Poland

There were 5 girls that stayed we had 2 rooms, each of us had a keycard to get in to the room so it was quite secure. The hallways were quite disgusting but the rooms were not too bad, the bedding was clean and the bathrooms were clean. For what we paid it is what we expected. The noise levels were not as bad as we expected after reading some of the reviews. The staff were very friendly. We would visit again. Could have done with later check out though.

• 5th Apr 2014

The room was filthy. There was hair on the bathroom floor and in the sink. The shower gel dispenser was empty, there was no soap. The sheets looked like they had already been slept on. The hotel smelt musty. never saw another sole. The girl was friendly and polite. I have worked in prisons and criminals get better facilities. Bed was very hard & only 2 very thin pillows. Heater didn't work. Blinds had strands missing so the person next door (we were on a corner) could see in. No tea/coffee.

• 1st Apr 2014
  • Couple, 41+

Stayed in hostels which are a lot cheaper and a lot cleaner and less glum. Claims to be a hotel but it's little more than a hostel that is poorly maintained, live wires hanging off the radiator, bath was cracked. Toilet seat lid had fell off. Bed was clean and the door locked... So I guess I'm being a snob, but this "hotel" may put people off staying in other decent hostels listed on this website!

• 29th Mar 2014

the hotel was cold, dirty and unkempt but i wasn't expecting much from a budget place + didn't mind so much - we just wanted a place to rest our heads. however we returned at 1am shattered and needing to sleep and the noise from the club below was unbearable (and we were 3 floors up). the whole room was literally bouncing - the wardrobe rail and coathangers were vibrating and the windows were rattling with the noise. it was insane-we had to leave and find somewhere else (we did get a refund)

• 29th Mar 2014

stayed at walkabout 2 nights for a game day, great value for money, just what u need on a city break..........thank you

• 18th Mar 2014
  • Slovakia

The property is run down and the lift is not working. There is a pub just beneath the accommodation with blaring music till the early hours of the morning. It was so loud that even the clothes hangers in the wardrobe dance to it.

• 8th Mar 2014