Walkabout Reviews

13 Quay Street, Manchester, Manchester, England

Worst mattresses I've ever slept on, room stinks , stains on walls, dreaded staying another night here. Needs major overhaul. Beer next door was off. Rubbish everywhere outside. No facilities at all, I would give this place overall score of 2/10.

• 19th May 2015

The hostel could do with a bit of a scrub. It would help if they removed the mouldy carpets on the landings and in the rooms. The room was not too bad with clean sheets and lots of space and we were quite surprised as we expected a lot worse due to the bad reviews. It was comfortable enough, brilliant location, friendly helpful staff and a good deal at £50 for 4 of us. Staying there meant we got 25% off food and drink at walkabout which meant 75p shots and 4 pints of cider for less than £8.

• 16th May 2015

The hostel is very bad, it seems abandoned. Don't go!

Perfect for a weekend away. Ideally located, nice staff and great atmosphere in the bar/club. Not the best rooms or facilities but you get what you pay for. Great value for money and definitely perfect for a weekend trip.

• All Male Group, 25-30

Very dirty and smelly! Bed is very uncomfortable. You won't get any sleep in this place. Avoid! Avoid!

• Philippines

We knew this would be grotty when we booked as it was the cheapest place in central Manchester, and we weren't disappointed. Someone had urinated in the lift quite recently, and none of the staff seemed too bothered about clearing it up. The bathroom was full of black mold and had clearly not been cleaned since the last time someone had stayed there as there was a bracelet on the floor and a bottle of shower gel someone had left under the sink. The sheets were clean though. It was VERY noisy.

• 24th Apr 2015

Have stayed in quite a few hostels and wouldn't say I was too fussy! The place is tired our room was very much in need of a new mattress. The carpet at our door was dripping wet which I would assume was from our bathroom! The sheets however where clean as was the toilet, shower and hand basin! If you are planning to stay up all night partying then there is nothing wrong, if your after sleep before midnight and haven't brought ear plugs then I would suggest trying elsewhere!

Absolutely Horrific The Floor And Walls Were Stained The Window Wouldn't Close I Wouldn't Reccommend This Place As Iv'e Stayed In Nice Hostels!!!!

• 4th Apr 2015
  • Wales

The most horrible place I've ever seen.Everything dirty, sticky and smelly ever. We try to contact someone in the hostel and nobody helped. We were scared about the place. We had to run away and try to find another place where to sleep that night. Thanks that Manchester people and the city are great!

• 4th Apr 2015
  • Spain

If you want a cheap stay in a big city then Walkabout is highly recommended, don't expect 5* quality, more a down to earth bed, en suite and somewhere to get your head down.

• 15th Mar 2015

Stayed here more than once when passing through, welcoming

Good location. I stayed with a few mates after going to old Trafford were our team arsenal beat United to reach the fa cup semi final so we were pissed and in high spirits. the deco is appauling, stained walls and carpets and the room has a heater that looks like a toaster. I'd stay there again if I was in Manchester for football because its a tenner a bed and in a good location

• 9th Mar 2015

The safety of the beds weren't great and it the hostel needs a few new fixtures.

• 7th Mar 2015

- Well, they say that there is free wifi but it is only in the reception and does not reach upstairs. - no toiletries at all - you can barely get hot water to wash or shower - there is a freakin noisy pub just below which will rock the hell out of you at night.

• 3rd Mar 2015
  • Bahrain

Very very basic, but if youve chosen to book there then thats what youre expecting, beds clean, room not the dirtiest. Only down side was no kettle in the room, so coffees out cost a fortine, other than that the walkabout club was amazing, music in room wasnt that loud, staff are friendly, and helpful, and speak to you properly, like a human not snooty. I loved it and would stay there again, just bring a travel kettle, hehe. X

• 28th Feb 2015

Most depressing place I've ever stayed in. Room was basic, dingy and freezing cold. The heater looked like it had been there since about 1950, and although the room was so cold I didn't want to leave it on whilst out of the room in case it set fire to something. The corridors hadn't been properly cleaned and looked like university halls after a night of drinking. The only good thing I can say is that the shower was alright. NEVER AGAIN.

• 25th Feb 2015

Without doubt, the worst hostel I've ever stayed in. You couldn't pay me to stay here again. Bathrooms were poor, reception is virtually non existent and the whole place stinks. Don't normally write a review but this place was a joke.

Filthy. Cold. Heater off the wall in room. No shower curtain in bathroom and floor flooded. At least it was cheap.

• 11th Feb 2015

The hostel is situated in a good location but it is very dirty.

• 7th Feb 2015

This was the worst hostel I have ever seen (and I've been to many hostels around the world). It was extremely dirty (fungus on the walls, sticky floor). The matress of my bed was broken. No heating so it was very cold in the room. You need to look for a member of staff in the bar nearby. Safety lockers in the room broken. Avoid by all means!

• 7th Feb 2015