Washington International Student Center Reviews

2451 18th Street NW, DC 20009, Washington DC, USA

Neighborhood is a very bar/nightlife heavy area and having stayed in the front room there was a lot of incedental noise. Not anything reflected on the site themselves, but if you are a light sleeper it may be an issue for you.

Excellent value. Friendly people. A computer charger went missing between leaving in the morning and coming back at night, even though the door was locked. On a different day, we came back to find the door unlocked and left wide open, even though it was definitely locked when we left in the morning. We had a private room, so the only thing that makes sense with these incidents is if the people that come around and vacuum the rooms every day accidentally left the door unlocked.

• 14th Nov 2014

I've slept in many hostels, but this hostel was the worst ever. The people were nice but also very strange. The beds were very old and it smelled disgusting in the whole house. There was not enough privacy and we have not felt really safe. The next subway station is about 10 minutes away.

• 11th Nov 2014

The price for living there was very cheap compared to much convenience we could get from here and we could fully enjoy the trip in the middle of the city near the downtown. One of the staffs helped me out with the Wi-Fi problem very kindly and we had a lot of fun there!!

• 19th Oct 2014
  • South Korea

Nice homely feel to it created by friendly staff. Hostel is in a great location, can't fault it.

I can honestly say this is one of the coolest, hippest and friendly hostel I have every stayed in. The staff are helpful, funny and approachable

• 12th Oct 2014

Lots of hostels have "nice" staff. But this one has nice AND cool staff. They were seriously cool people that made it fun to hang out in the lobby and meet other travelers. Other than that and the great location, the hostel was mediocre. But not any worse than you'd expect for the price. If you're like me and just need a place to crash and meet people for as cheap as possible, this hostel is your best bet.

Not only was this hostel located in one of the best hip spots in town, it was staffed by awesome people - seriously made the stay so much better due to their local knowledge and friendliness. I'd definitely recommend this to anyone who wants to be close to the Metro, close to Tryst Coffee House (cafe/bar three doors down with the best bang for your buck), and in a generally safe area.

The place really served my needs and was quite affordable for the vibrant area it is in. Pretty close to the museums and national monuments. Great place to meet people.

• 28th Sep 2014

The hostel is located above a bar. Its noisy at night!! One dorm room is facing the street so trying to sleep on a weekend night is trying to fall asleep at a bustling bar. Not good!! The staff are nice. The hostel facilities are kept clean but the place is quite rundown.

The staff was really nice and helpful. The wifi worked perfectly throughout the building. The room and the kitchen were equipped as expected but not very clean. There is only one bathroom per floor, which didn't bother me as I never had to wait. The bathroom was quite clean.

• 24th Sep 2014
  • Switzerland

I've stayed at duo housing before and they were better. This place has a tv in the lobby and the man at the front desk watches only what he wants. Breakfast was toast and oj (duo does pancakes!) overall tho this place is decent and worth the price, though I wish they did more in the living area to facilitate guest interaction. I did like the ac in the rooms

• 18th Sep 2014
  • Puerto Rico

This has been one of the best hostel experiences I have had. The facilities are great, the hostel is in a vibrant and wonderful location. You can walk to the White House and the National Mall. The staff was very helpful and accommodating. I would definitely book a room at this hostel if I were to ever return to DC.

• 15th Sep 2014

Great place to stay if you're on a budget! Best location of any hostel I've stayed in, bars and restaurants to suit any taste on the doorstep. Staff were very friendly, felt like you were a part of their family: good place to come if you want to meet new people.

Worst place I have ever stayed! They tried to overcharge us, Door didnt lock properly, a guy from another room managed to unlock our door with his key and wander in! Got moved to a different room cuz owner wanted our one to be a private room. No space for our belongings in the new room due to the staffs belongings everwhere. Kitchen looked like someone had vomited all over it. Owner walked into our room in the middle of the night every night - he was so rude everytime he spoke to us. STAY AWAY

It was super great, I met tons of fun people next time I go again

• 5th Sep 2014

The Washington Student Center is in a great area of DC. Adams Morgan rocks with many places to go to and have fun. The hostel....the building is old but it is fine enough. Not as modern as many other new places but it has a home feeling to it and that was great. You can get around DC from the hostel either by bus or Metro but if you stay a few days I would value getting a Metro card. All in all I had a good time there.

Great location close to a heap of restaurants, bars, and supermarkets. Approx 10-15 mins walk to the subway. Service was a little haphazard ie there was no one at the desk when I arrived and they confused my booking, asking me to check out the following morning when I had booked for two nights. Girl at the reception desk was extremely bored and unenthusiastic. Quite a bit of noise at nights from the bars/clubs downstairs but you expect that from the location.

clean the rooms - and try to have hot water .

I loved Steve's place so much that I decided to come back a few days after I had left. The location is perfect for travelers looking for enterntainment (bars, zoo) but also for those who might enjoy a run in the park. Steve is a very attentive host who delivers the best service. He makes you feel welcome right from the beginning. In the reception area and the kitchen people are buzzing around, meeting and exchanging thoughts. You get your own key, sheets and towel. Home! Highly recommended.

• 25th Aug 2014