Wellywood Backpackers Reviews

58 Tory Street, Wellington, New Zealand

This is one of your run of the mill hostels. It is generally clean and tidy. The facilities are more than adequate for a hostel of its size and the location is great.

Oh God dont go there!!! I wish I was warned! It was by far the worst Hostel (especially for that price) I have ever stayed at - and Ive been to Asia. Extremely dirty, moldy, smelly and all in all just disgusting! I slept with my sleepingbag on top of the nasty matress as everything was so filthy, I was afraid to catch a disease. The kitchen is just as dirty and I hope you dont mind eating your food with nothing but knives. No pots, pans or cuttlery (besides knives) its useless. DONT STAY THERE!!

I don't want to rant so instead: I don't have anything positive to say about this place except that it's in a good location.

Excellent location!! Internet was expensive, only 2 plugs for a room with six people isn't enough and my biggest fault with the place- no lockers in the room. The lockers that are available on the 1st floor require money EACH time they are used... Theymessed up my booking on arrival, as I was supposed to be in a 4 bed dorm but gave me money back and free wifi an put me in a 6 bed girls-only dorm. One particular staff member was quite unfriendly, bordering on rude, the other lovely!

Massive hostel. It certainly has potential. But I was appalled to arrive with a friend and we couldn't tell which beds were free in our dorm - the sheets hadnt been changed or even considered. We arrived at 7:30pm, more than enough time to prepare for new guests. Luggage room has no security. It's not ever locked and rarely guarded. I came in, rummaged through my pack to get my toothbrush and left and wasn't even noticed.

loved it would deffinatly book to stay here again

• 15th Mar 2013
  • New Zealand

Oke hostel, very expensive. cheap hostel lodge in the city is better.

The hostel was super busy, not very clean, and was much too big.

someone had been sick in one of the toilets on the first night i stayed, this toilet was just left and out of use for the rest of my stay. i had to move rooms every night which was my own fault and not a problem but the bed i stayed in on the last night deffinately had not been changed over since the last person had left. also the price for my last night was extortionate $45 for one night just because of the premiere.

• 26th Nov 2012

Had a rather poor experience of the wellywood backpackers. I went to sign in early in the day, but didn't have enough money. I said I'd be back, and went to see a friend who had some money for me. They for some reason assumed that because I wasn't back in the completely arbitrary timeframe of 20 minutes that I wasn't copming back and cancelled my booking. So I had to pay a higher price than what I had booked due to the staffs incompetence and stupidity.

• 6th Oct 2012
  • New Zealand

Hi Frey, We have standard policy when you book a bed, confirmation payment is required. If you cannot pay in time Wellywood Backpackers are not responsible. I was the person who did the booking for you, you stated coming back in 30 mins but came back few hours later. It was not the same bed room that you have booked and the pricing is different.

Gross. Just gross. Very nice staff, however.

• 6th Oct 2012

Please let us know your expectations and experiences for us to work things out to provide better services. Thank you for your feedback.

First impressions were bad, the lifts were dirty, grotty and looked like they had never been cleaned as were the windows, had to go out side to see if it was actually raining! Shower curtain was disgusting!Called our room (no.2) platform 9 & 3/4 after walking past a couple of times! Central location was great, pleased I took ear plugs though after reading reviews! We were only there to sleep so didn't use facilities, able to leave bags there after checkout, staff helpful, wouldn't go back.

• 7th Sep 2012
  • New Zealand

Hi, We have taken your comments seriously and on progress with the changes. Wellywood Backpackers have new management and on progress in fixing up the place. Thank you for your feedback.

good hostel, great location..bit cold in the common area when its winter..

Everything was good except the wifi wasn't in the room.. It was only on the 4th floor..

Only the wifi not being in room is the issue. otherwise, good location.

the double en suites are way over priced. felt like i was sleeping in a prison cell. bed was too soft with a cheap foam mattress. never stay there again

terrible showers. lock on door not working properly

It was very unclean and the bathrooms are very out in the open.

• 2nd Jan 2012

Haven't been there that long, but it was kind of unpersonal. However Lounge and Kitchen area are fantastic!

Staff were excellent.. But overall the place was very basic! If your just in wellington to party and not to sleep much the place is perfect!

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7