Weltempfänger Backpacker Hostel Reviews

Venloer Str. 196, 50823 Koln, Cologne, Germany

The wifi seems to have issues with consistency. Sometimes I could connect and other times it took an hour or two just to connect. Having reliable wifi is very important to young travelers and has potential to make or break your ratings. I really enjoyed staying at your hostel and appreciate your kind hospitality.

Hostel is located in Ehrenfeld which is a walk from town but I thought was a very nice area with parks, cheap supermarket and various bars/restaurants (with Veggie/vegan options). Rooms are above a bar where I enjoyed a few evening drinks and met some other travellers. I only stayed one night but imagine I would have enjoyed staying longer. Found the members of staff on the bar very friendly, helpful and up for a chat.

I think this hostel, Weltempfänger, got it. It has a nice decor, good location and a nice lobby/bar. The only downside during my stay was the atmosphere. It was kind of hard to get to know other guests maybe the bartender could have worked the crowd to get a more chit-chatty atmosphere, hard to say could just be bad luck for me that time. Would recommend others to stay here.

Staff weren't very friendly, corridor smelt kinda putrid, but the rooms and bathrooms were clean and the hostel is quiet and well located. The cafe downstairs is quite cool.

excellent stuff. bathroom in room

The wifi worked very poorly in room 3. Practically it didn't. It worked ok in the downstairs café.

• 31st May 2015
  • Finland
  • All Male Group, 31-40

Had a really nice stay!!

the hostel is located in the bustling suburb of ehrenfeld. it is not so close to the center of cologne but it is next to the u-bahn station at piusstrasse so it is not difficult to go to the altstadt, train station/dom and airport. it is attached to a nice cafe/bar with good prices and atmosphere. not convenient if you have a car as parking is scarce in this neighborhood.

This place had the funkiest bar/common room ever. A good place to hang and meet others. Alternative theme in alternative district. Showers were limited, but adequate if you plan ahead. Beds were solid, mattresses were firm. I'd recommend it.

A very nice and clean hostel, very friendly and helpful staff, nice bar/cafe downstairs where you can mingle. The only problem was wifi can be extremely slow and very inconsistent, sometimes isn't able to even connect, especially in the rooms and the kitchen.

I really enoyed the stay. Loved the beers at 1.50. Definitively I ll be back in my next trip to Koln

The rooms were good. Small, clean and comfortable. Unfortunately a guy came into the hostel and tried to rob us twice in one night. We should have locked the door while we were sleeping but I also think there was some responsibility on the hostel that this man got into the building when it was apparently only accesible by guests. The staff were super lovely and friendly at all times. One other complaint was the kitchen. It was so disgusting that I couldn't cook food in it. Please clean it!

I was very happy staying at this hostel and would definitely stay again. Staff are friendly, facilities good and location great.

Arrived in Cologne Sunday night on getting to the hostel I immediately felt welcomed by the receptionist/bar tender Asi. A brief overview of local knowledge was well handy. Atmosphere at Weltempfanger is quite laid back and located near the S underground for Puisse.

On Saturday, while we were out, we came back to find an chocolate bar wrapper on one of our beds. We thought it might have been our 4th roommate who had moved out while we were gone, but the cleaners had come through to change the garbage cans, so we aren't sure what happened. It was a little disgusting but it didn't really leave a mess in the bed so we just threw it out.

• 27th Feb 2015

It was a decent place but only had one washroom on each floor and the one on my floor was out of toilet paper the night I stayed there. I informed the staff but I can only assume they forgot because no toilet paper appeared until the morning.