West Side YMCA Reviews

5 West 63rd St., N.Y. 10023, New York, USA

Our last night was booked at Hostelworld. The charge was USD 110. Deposit was USD 13. The rest amount USD 97 was to be paid at the hostel. When we got to the hostel, we was charged USD 110 anyway. Thats not fair, is it? We have had many nights at this hostel and is very satisfied, but this not the right way to do it!

• 4th Nov 2014
  • Denmark

--took three days and nights of asking to get a blanket --room on top floor next to where the staff hangs out gets noisy

• 3rd Nov 2014

Our stay was very pleasant. The staff was very helpful, the facilities were very clean and the location was perfect. The mattresses were not comfortable as the springs seemed to go right through. Perhaps thicker mattresses would greatly enhance the stay. Would consider staying again.

• 1st Nov 2014

Location, locationlocation! Basic yet excellent I cad to change a date and they were mos acomaadating at the management level. Big bang for the buck!!

Stayed here several times before. Accommodations are basic, but clean/secure. Can't beat the location, which is amazing for this price range. I was on one of the floors with shared bathrooms and showers this time. There is a morning rush to use the showers, but if you can avoid that, it's fine. Shared bath floors not recommended for people who like the privacy of a hotel, but I didn't mind. For a few dollars more you can stay on a floor with semiprivate bath/showers. Lockable doors for privacy

• 31st Oct 2014

I chose this hostel for its location and wasn't disappointed. Security was good as was cleanliness. The shared showers were 3 in a row which didn't lead to any kind of privacy. The bed had a plastic covered mattress which was really noisy. The bed was on castors and moved very freely on the hard floor. There was an in house racquetball court which was fine except at 6am. The noise was like a constant drip. There are what appear to be resident, elderly homeless men.

very nice time and experience, thank you, see you next time

• 30th Oct 2014

The room that was given to me (419) had a very poor mattress. I am 68 years old, I have a bad back and I could not have slept on such a sagging squishy mattress. When I complained at the reception and asked if either the mattress could be changed or if I could be given another room, I was told all mattresses were alike and that no change was possible. Fortunately, a colleague of mine accepted to switch rooms and I could benefit from a much better mattress (as for him, he did not sleep so well).

• 23rd Oct 2014

I have already answered this questionnaire & may I add that your translation in French is... poor?

An very central and convenient place to stay.

• 14th Oct 2014

Good location, the shared bathrooms could have been a little bit cleaner. Very goos location .

The rooms with private bathrooms are best particularly for older guests.

• 6th Oct 2014
  • New Zealand

I had stayed at the WSY a couple of years ago and I did notice that they remodeled and refurbished the whole place, which was very nice. They also now have boards inviting you to join classes and use the sports facilities, the amenities are better now too. The only thing I can say was a bit off is cleanness as the baths were not cleaned during our stay. The room doors are also pretty old and quite noisy when shut or opened to the point it makes it hard to sleep at night.

Horrible shower, two non functioning toilets. Bad cleaning - there was a m&m on the floor the whole time we were there and the floor was not clean.

• 4th Oct 2014
  • Denmark

Internet was tremendously slow. Spoilt the whole hostel experience.

Cleaning staff did not clean our room 3 days in a row! Unfriendly staff. Bathroom shared with the whole floor... 1 of 3 available showers did not work. 3 of 4 sinks did not work. Just a good location close to central park! However just for good location it is too expensive

• 1st Oct 2014

The stuff isn't very friendly, but if you only need a place to sleep is a very good choice. Excellent location, very clean.

This place was extremely disappointing considering how much you pay for it and in comparison to every other hostel we stayed in the USA, this place is pretty terrible. There is no kitchen so you have nowhere to make or store food, there is nowhere to do laundry you have to walk ten minutes to get to the closest laundromat, there are no maps of the city and the staff aren't helpful, the bathroom was gross and the shower had a leak coming from the ceiling, the room is tiny, doesn't feel like a hostel

It was great! I Really enjoyed.

• 6th Sep 2014
  • Mexico

It's the worst place that I've ever been to. Terrible smell all around, bathrooms very dirty, very old building. I world never reccomend this place to anybody.