West Side YMCA Reviews

5 West 63rd St., N.Y. 10023, New York, USA

No hot water for showers (checked multiple times through the night). Engineer checked but could (or would) do nothing to fix. Fans from adjacent building ran on and off through the night. Bring earplugs.

• 10th Oct 2013

The location is fantastic. But the facilities are so disgusting. Most things either didnt work or where dirty. Wifi didnt work, the showers are the worst i have ever seen. The rooms are so small and feel disgusting and dirty. I saw so many cockroaches it scared me. The mattress and pillow where so bad i should have just slept on the floor.

• 8th Oct 2013

Missen a rack/fence in bunk bed would have been Low wifi signal Great location/Nice price

• 7th Oct 2013

I loved having use of the excellently equipped health club & did yoga & pilates classes each day. The bathroom was very wet - always a pool of water on the floor in front of showers, tepid water, wet sinks, not enough hooks or shelves to keep your toiletry bag from getting soaked. In the room, I wanted a window that opened easily, bedside table & light. But overall - excellent location & value for money. Would definatly stay again.

• 6th Oct 2013

This place is really horrible. Very dirty hallways, people smoking in the rooms, neither 8th nor 9th floor has been gone through any improvement -I guess- since the 1800s. The first room they gave me (9th floor) was like a nightmare, walls were damaged and not painted maybe for years, room was right above a HUGE outdoor cooler fan which was giving out a horrible noise. After complaining they changed my room to one on the 8th floor. This one was also not great. Remote for the TV was not working

great renovations......keep it up

Excellent area to do Sightseeing, because you do have Subwaylines 1-3 and A-D with the Columbus Circle just around the corner. The staff was all friendly and helpful at all times. Single Rooms are big enough for one person with a Flatscreen TV on it. For Manhattan the price is pretty good! I stayed on the 10th floor in a renovated room, that was clean and nice. Toillets were clean at all times. 3 showers for one floor were not enough though.

• 6th Oct 2013

Shared bathrooms needs more often and better cleaning! And private double rooms means always: bunk beds!!

My room wasn`t clean.

• 5th Oct 2013

I would give only one star to this hostel, and only beacause of the location which is just next to central Park. The check in was terribly slow and every time I ned to ask something I had to queue a lot. The corridors were pretty smelly with stains a bit everywhere. There was a small dead mouse in the restroom neon light on the ceiling. The bed was old and didn't have a nice smell. I payed to leave my bag before the check in, even if it was only one dollar. It really shouldn't be so expensive!

Cheap and close to Central Park, cool people. Horrible bed, small room, cold shower. But the ratio is very fair for New York.

It would be nice if there was access to a kitchen for guests. There is only 1 female bathroom per floor and it was tin, with only 3 showers. You cannot use the sink and have a person getting out of the shower at the same time. In the morning they got pretty busy.

• 1st Oct 2013

I stayed on the Old Floor which has not been revonated and I think I was allergic to something there -- left me totaled con gested until I left. The rooms are ancient and shabby/drab and the bed are like a bed of nails. I was sure I was going to leave there enlightened...bathroom is old -- one for a our floor. We lived in the ghetto of the 63rd street Y. I will stay on the east side Y next time...cheaper by far but not the convenience of 63rd street Y....the restaurants and theater is great.

• 30th Sep 2013

This was my first time at the Y. When I phoned, I asked if there was a sink in the room of shared bath rooms, and was told yes. Not so.I registered for an unrenovated room, so I didnt expect too much but the mattress had springs pressing through, and neither the TV nor the lamp was working.

• 30th Sep 2013

There was a cockroach in the bathroom on the 9th floor. In addition, the rooms at the 9th floor were very outdated. Luckily the personnel was very friendly and transferred us to another room at a different floor, that was fully renovated; the room looked better and cleaner, and the bathroom as well. Even though there was water on the ground in the bathroom and it seemed like it did not get cleaned during the time we were there (2 nights).

• 28th Sep 2013

Rude front desk staff make you feel like you're back at school being told off, and it's so so overpriced for how grotty everything is. Go to hosteling international instead and stay in a clean room, or do what I did and splash out on a hotel.

At first a few negatives happen: No remote for TV or lamp. No hangers. Only 1 bath towel a day. 3 clogged sinks & one dirty stool. I did get a lamp, a remote that didn't work. And the bathrooms were cleaned and sinks drained. Showers were fine and sharing was no problem. I saw some very fine people staying here. And yes I would do it all again. I had wash rags with me but will take a couple of hangers. My room was clean enough for a crash pad. I think housekeeping does what it can if asked.

• 27th Sep 2013

The YMCA has a excellent location and wonderful facilities. However we had an awkward experience with the toilet of the floor where we were staying. The water from the sink was coming out burning hot (literally) and it was impossible to use the sink to wash the hands/face. As a result all guests were using the showers, which would completely flood the toilet everyday. We complained to the staff but during the 4 days we were lodged there the problem was not fixed. Everything else was great!

I stayed on the 13th floor and it was very clean, including the bathrooms/showers. It costs more ($117/night vs. $89/night). But I think it is worth it because you almost never have to wait for a bathroom. Next time I'll try the cheaper rooms to see if they are as bad as some reviewers say. But you can't beat the location, practically across from Lincoln Center and near the Columbus Circle subway station.

• 25th Sep 2013

I dont knkw what i expected for 100$/night in a single room. But the bed was horrible, room was smelly (smoke), the a/c didnt work either. Shared bathroom was horrible (8th floor)!! If you wanna take a shower, go to the 10th floor.. pictures on the internet are from the 10th floor, my room wasnt nearly as nice as it shows there!!! I'd never come back. Rather choose a place in Brooklyn again.

• 25th Sep 2013