West Side YMCA Reviews

5 West 63rd St., N.Y. 10023, New York, USA

As always my stay here was excellent !! The front desk, security and housekeeping staff are awesome and look forward to my next visit !!!

• 23rd Sep 2013

Bathroom was too dirty....and there should be space to hang soap/shampoo and also clothes while having bath. Horrible experience.

WIFIが部屋でほとんどつながらない。 部屋の電気は暗い。 テレビがあるけど映りは悪くメンテナンスされた気配はない。 テレビいらないから電気を明るいものにして欲しい。 ま、NYで100ドルだからこの程度なのだろう。

It needs soap, water, and paint

• 20th Sep 2013

Great locationa and great value of money and suit for people who look for some reasonal price place for sleeping only

• 20th Sep 2013
  • Thailand

it's a wonderful location and easy to get to. just take the subway from howard beach.

The staff was very ignorance and unfriendly, not very well informed about the changes around the hostel. I got a room with ONLY a bed and madras. It stank paint from the walls and dirty. I wasn't provided with not as much as sheets. When I complained about this terrible room, there was no other rooms available, the security who was responsible for the cleaners was ignorance and rude. I paid 330 dollar for this. I am extremely disappointed and would never recommend this place to anyone. Anna.

• 17th Sep 2013
  • Sweden

It had been a few years since I had stayed at the Y and in my previous visit, I had a room on one of the renovated floors. I made the assumption during this visit that by now, all of the floors had been renovated. My room this stay was on the 8th floor and of course that floor lacks the individual bathrooms. The shower had inconsistent temperatures and part of the problem was there was no arrows that marked cold from hot. I will look to get a room on one of the renovated floors next time.

• 17th Sep 2013

I have travelled the world and stayed in many hostels. Worst one I have ever stayed in. The staff laughed at me when I told them I had booked the hostel online an hour before my arrival and wished to leave my bag in the hostel before check in. New York is very expensive but even so the price for a two bed dorm in this hostel was robbery. I slept in my clothes because the bed clothes were filthy. No atmosphere in the hostel. Only positive was excellent location from which to explore new york

• 16th Sep 2013

the bathrooms should be clean more times for day.

• 16th Sep 2013

A bit lacking backpacker atmosphere as it's YMCA, but location is great, metro and central park just few minutes away.

The rooms are tiny, the beds were pretty bad- too soft and the bunk bed was on rolls and moved every time someone just moved a bit. The bathrooms were really bad, just three showers for the whole floor!? Furthermore the staff was nice, just some guests were kinda creepy. Wouldn't do it again.

• 14th Sep 2013

Needs to be repainted; wifi should not be limited to just the lobby AND you should not block websites you deem inappropriate.

• 12th Sep 2013

Bathrooms were especially un clean at all times which affected my overall satisfaction greatly.

• 11th Sep 2013
  • New Zealand

We (60) booked a double and got a tiny noisy bunker-bed room just above the air conditioning installation (9th floor)! The bunker was so shaky were afraid it would collapse and we would fall, mattresses were so old the springs protuded like nails in our body. Asked for replacement but was not granted (!). You have to pay and suffer. Bathroom one / floor of 70 rooms (200pax?) was dirty, no paper towel or toilette-paper quite often. Showers and sinks were disgustingly dirty, faucet not working

• Portugal

I felt so comfortable and I will come back, very recommended.

Good value for the price. Great location. The place is secure- I felt perfectly safe. The housekeeping staff and other staff were all pleasant for the most part.

We absolutely loved the hostel! For the price, location, efficiency of the staff and overall experience it was WELL worth the price. On the downside, our room had bedbugs and I came home with lots of bites plus an allergic reaction. We had to go through the whole process of cleansing all our stuff. I reported this to the hostel via voicemail. Never heard back from them, so I can only hope that they jumped on the problem immediately.

• 10th Sep 2013

1# toilet on floor 9th was dirty and the odour was barely not suportable almost throw up 2# Not able to get any cold water in shower

• 10th Sep 2013

I was in the process of moving to NYC, having job interviews, unsure about my living situations (due to a few things falling through) and the Y was right there to help. I originally stayed for a few days but they didn't mind trying to help me when I needed to stay for a few more. The whole staff was very helpful, my baggage was secure, security was funny and friendly, and while you stay you have the ability to use the facilities which was absolutely wonderful. Thank you so much!

• Poland