West Side YMCA Reviews

5 West 63rd St., N.Y. 10023, New York, New York, USA

The showers were not good at all, inconvient to only take cards in the shop and no cash! I paid more than my friends but got a smaller room! TV didn't work! The corridors were shabby, we couldn't go swimming because we had no swim cap!

• 19th Jul 2013
  • Wales

Very convenient location. This is for the budget-minded traveler who is not interested in 5-star accommodations

Ok place for new york.

Excellent location, powerful AC, felt very safe, quiet at night for good sleep, plenty of bathrooms, spartan style rooms that have TV with cable channels, shelves to keep things organized, large mirror in a room, free access to gym and pool downstairs, free towels, and very comfy and spacious lounge and cafe (SB coffee?) on a ground floor.

The staff could have been nicer and the rooms cleaner

• 13th Jul 2013

YMCA was perfect for me for one night in NY. I could store my bag there all day (for a charge) as long as I picked it up by 9pm. Staff was nice and helpful. Great location next to central park, and a short subway ride from Times Square. A few people around my age to hang out with and an older crowd as well. Beds are pretty old, but not a huge concern of mine. My only problem was that they took my ID for the night.

• 12th Jul 2013

The price was great for a last minute stay on a Friday and Saturday! The only thing was the bathrooms were not very clean. The are also share bathrooms so it's very important to keep clean! Only Advice is to bring your own cleaning products and flip flops. Other than that I had a great time.

• 12th Jul 2013

Staff is helpful. Place is nice, in general. Since bathrooms are shared, they tend to get a little grungy but the showers are great... water is really hot. Building is old and rooms are kind of basic but it is informal and I guess, for the price, if you want to be in NYC but can't afford a regular hotel, it certainly is a great way to go.

• 11th Jul 2013
  • Couple, 41+

My first stay was on the 9th floor which is much nicer because the toilets/showers are newer & private -- the second time I stayed on the 8th floor -- the rooms are more or less the same but the bathroom is shared & the door to the ladies room was never complety closed by anyone (which is a security risk) because it was a hassle to get it back open; when you punch in the password, you would have to do it several times before the door would open--also the hall floor carpeting needs to be replaced

• 10th Jul 2013

Very very dirty and you know that Old , smelly! The plastic in the bathroom had dirt and water which dropped on my head This is a disgrace Not fit for humans

I enjoyed a friendly atmosphere at the West Side YMCA. It was a pleasure to return to my room after a busy day in Manhattan. I used the fitness facilities and found it equipped and welcoming. I shall look forward to a future visit Thanks.

• 8th Jul 2013

The bathroom/shower on the 9th floor where even for a ymca very poor!!!

• 6th Jul 2013

I think it was very rewarding. The staff were very kind to us and we enjoyed our time ther. The only thing I recommend to the hostel is that in the women bathroom of the 8 floor there was only one faucet available. The other ones were malfunctining.

• 5th Jul 2013
  • All Female Group, 41+

I stayed at 9th floor. It was terrible! Shared bathroom was stinky and not clean. Aircon did not work well, do the floor was very hot and so the room. Hard to stay there during the day.

The woman in the reception was not friendly.

The washroom on the 9th floor STANK like pee. I actually tried to do my business somewhere else because it was so disgusting. Only one of the 4 sinks worked, the toilets didnt flush right... it was really really bad! The carpets in the hallways smelled like a wet dog. Other than that... nice staff and AMAZING location!

• 29th Jun 2013
  • Switzerland

Near Central Park and 3 minutes walking from subway (Columpus circle - 59 st., lines A C B D 1). There is no kitchen you can use or laundry machine. You can use their fitness center/swimming pool. Luggage storage for 1 $. There is no breakfast. No curfew.

It really depends on the floor that u stay in. The 8th and the 9th floor are discusting. These floors are usually reserved for people who book on hostelworld as u get better rates there as anywhere else. So they book u into their bad rooms. Quite a nasty method. U will immediately feel that you are at one of the bad floors. It smells bad.The rooms do too. The AC is are old,so are the rooms. TV s didn't work, AC was so loud that u didn't understand a word. 12th and 13th floors are a different world

eMy room was very dark, as there was scaffolding over the tiny window, and the main light didn't work. There was a lamp, but I asked the hostel to fix the light and they didn't. The room was dirty and not nice looking, but I think mine was particularly bad, having seen a few others down the hallway. The bed was comfy. Bathrooms were functional. Wifi only available downstairs. Location was great, right next to Central Park, easy walking distance from Times Square/Empire State etc.

• 29th Jun 2013

The bathrooms (women and men's) were pretty dirty the whole weekend we stayed there, and the A/C in our room made so much noise we couldn't used it while sleeping so it was really hot during the night.