West Side YMCA Reviews

5 West 63rd St., N.Y. 10023, New York, USA

It would be nice if there was access to a kitchen for guests. There is only 1 female bathroom per floor and it was tin, with only 3 showers. You cannot use the sink and have a person getting out of the shower at the same time. In the morning they got pretty busy.

• 1st Oct 2013

I stayed on the Old Floor which has not been revonated and I think I was allergic to something there -- left me totaled con gested until I left. The rooms are ancient and shabby/drab and the bed are like a bed of nails. I was sure I was going to leave there enlightened...bathroom is old -- one for a our floor. We lived in the ghetto of the 63rd street Y. I will stay on the east side Y next time...cheaper by far but not the convenience of 63rd street Y....the restaurants and theater is great.

• 30th Sep 2013

This was my first time at the Y. When I phoned, I asked if there was a sink in the room of shared bath rooms, and was told yes. Not so.I registered for an unrenovated room, so I didnt expect too much but the mattress had springs pressing through, and neither the TV nor the lamp was working.

• 30th Sep 2013

There was a cockroach in the bathroom on the 9th floor. In addition, the rooms at the 9th floor were very outdated. Luckily the personnel was very friendly and transferred us to another room at a different floor, that was fully renovated; the room looked better and cleaner, and the bathroom as well. Even though there was water on the ground in the bathroom and it seemed like it did not get cleaned during the time we were there (2 nights).

• 28th Sep 2013

Rude front desk staff make you feel like you're back at school being told off, and it's so so overpriced for how grotty everything is. Go to hosteling international instead and stay in a clean room, or do what I did and splash out on a hotel.

At first a few negatives happen: No remote for TV or lamp. No hangers. Only 1 bath towel a day. 3 clogged sinks & one dirty stool. I did get a lamp, a remote that didn't work. And the bathrooms were cleaned and sinks drained. Showers were fine and sharing was no problem. I saw some very fine people staying here. And yes I would do it all again. I had wash rags with me but will take a couple of hangers. My room was clean enough for a crash pad. I think housekeeping does what it can if asked.

• 27th Sep 2013

The YMCA has a excellent location and wonderful facilities. However we had an awkward experience with the toilet of the floor where we were staying. The water from the sink was coming out burning hot (literally) and it was impossible to use the sink to wash the hands/face. As a result all guests were using the showers, which would completely flood the toilet everyday. We complained to the staff but during the 4 days we were lodged there the problem was not fixed. Everything else was great!

I stayed on the 13th floor and it was very clean, including the bathrooms/showers. It costs more ($117/night vs. $89/night). But I think it is worth it because you almost never have to wait for a bathroom. Next time I'll try the cheaper rooms to see if they are as bad as some reviewers say. But you can't beat the location, practically across from Lincoln Center and near the Columbus Circle subway station.

• 25th Sep 2013

I dont knkw what i expected for 100$/night in a single room. But the bed was horrible, room was smelly (smoke), the a/c didnt work either. Shared bathroom was horrible (8th floor)!! If you wanna take a shower, go to the 10th floor.. pictures on the internet are from the 10th floor, my room wasnt nearly as nice as it shows there!!! I'd never come back. Rather choose a place in Brooklyn again.

• 25th Sep 2013
  • Switzerland

The location was perfect, although rooms are not recently furnished. There is no wifi in the rooms and if you don't care for a bit worn out room accomodation, than I think you will enjoy your stay there.

• 23rd Sep 2013
  • Slovenia

As always my stay here was excellent !! The front desk, security and housekeeping staff are awesome and look forward to my next visit !!!

• 23rd Sep 2013

Bathroom was too dirty....and there should be space to hang soap/shampoo and also clothes while having bath. Horrible experience.

WIFIが部屋でほとんどつながらない。 部屋の電気は暗い。 テレビがあるけど映りは悪くメンテナンスされた気配はない。 テレビいらないから電気を明るいものにして欲しい。 ま、NYで100ドルだからこの程度なのだろう。

It needs soap, water, and paint

• 20th Sep 2013

Great locationa and great value of money and suit for people who look for some reasonal price place for sleeping only

• 20th Sep 2013
  • Thailand

it's a wonderful location and easy to get to. just take the subway from howard beach.

The staff was very ignorance and unfriendly, not very well informed about the changes around the hostel. I got a room with ONLY a bed and madras. It stank paint from the walls and dirty. I wasn't provided with not as much as sheets. When I complained about this terrible room, there was no other rooms available, the security who was responsible for the cleaners was ignorance and rude. I paid 330 dollar for this. I am extremely disappointed and would never recommend this place to anyone. Anna.

• 17th Sep 2013
  • Sweden

It had been a few years since I had stayed at the Y and in my previous visit, I had a room on one of the renovated floors. I made the assumption during this visit that by now, all of the floors had been renovated. My room this stay was on the 8th floor and of course that floor lacks the individual bathrooms. The shower had inconsistent temperatures and part of the problem was there was no arrows that marked cold from hot. I will look to get a room on one of the renovated floors next time.

• 17th Sep 2013

I have travelled the world and stayed in many hostels. Worst one I have ever stayed in. The staff laughed at me when I told them I had booked the hostel online an hour before my arrival and wished to leave my bag in the hostel before check in. New York is very expensive but even so the price for a two bed dorm in this hostel was robbery. I slept in my clothes because the bed clothes were filthy. No atmosphere in the hostel. Only positive was excellent location from which to explore new york

• 16th Sep 2013

the bathrooms should be clean more times for day.

• 16th Sep 2013