Wickham Retreat Backpackers

Superb 738 Total Reviews

• zhanganshan
  • China, Female, 25-30
14th Mar 2017

Wickham is best hostel i ever stay

• Canada, Female, 18-24
13th Mar 2017
6.0

After seeing rave reviews about this hostel, I decided to book. Upon arrival, I was slightly concerned about the trashy looking 'tarps' around the front porch and a poorly written sign saying Wickham Retreat with an arrow pointing around the side. It looked like a crackhouse to be honest. The backyard is unnattractive, there are no locks on the dorm doors (small lockers are provided) and there are only 2 showers for the whole hostel. The offer of free breakfast isn't enough for me to go back.

Well we cant please everyone now can we. The good quality expensive shade cloth was for extra privacy for guests wanting to have a little quite time on the front verandah. Im not an expert signwriter but I assure everyone the words are now full colour black, it was one of them little jobs on the to do list. We also have arrows pointing from the front of the building to assist new guests to get to the main entrance at the side of the building. It works. Iv never been to a crackhouse so thats new to me. Please tell me more about crackhouses. We have a beautiful outdoor area at the rear of the building with shaded seating areas for that harsh aussie sun. Its also really good for when we have our weekly free BBQ or free pizza night. The guests also use the outside area to talk to each other and develop friendships, have a laugh and a joke. Wickham is away from the city and is set up as a great friendly household where everyone talks, laughs, play pool, play board games, watch free movies and cook together. For this reason and the fact that we are very careful of whom we allow into the hostel, there have never been any security issues. A hostel with no dorm keys sounds like a safe and friendly hostel. Staying at any hostel is what you make of it. Some guests prefer to hide themselves away and don't want to talk to anyone. Wickham isn't about that, everyone is made to feel welcome and more importantly, everyone who arrives is given a personal tour and shown where the three showers are.

4th Mar 2017
7.1

Overall I was a bit surprised with Wickham Retreat considering its high rating on Hostelworld. By no means is it a bad hostel but compared to other 9+ hostels I have stayed at, this one was definitely the least deserving of it's rating. Pros: relaxed vibe, great lounge area, large kitchen, free laundry, great helpful and friendly staff Cons: not very clean, a lot of signs all over with different rules, camera in the kitchen for some reason, mozzies in the rooms will eat you alive

27th Feb 2017

This was one of the best hostels I've ever stayed in! Everyone was extremely friendly, the facilities were great free Netflix and chill room, free breakfast and tea coffee etc! Chris was super helpful and friendly. It's not the most modern hostel but sooo worth staying! Would recommend to everyone! Free bus into the city is just 5mins walk.

23rd Feb 2017

Really glad I chose Wickham, well run little hostel, really helpful staff, also got a nice social vibe without being a party hostel. Thanks Chris and Yutaro!

• England, Male, 31-40
19th Feb 2017

Checked in for one night - aircon was in the room which was soo good! People were amazing that I spoke with - a real mix of cultures, and yet family feel. I suppose it's the people that make it some times. If you want to stay I perth and want a more chilled out, relaxed atmosphere then book this. Perths worse kept secret.

• New Zealand, Male, 25-30
18th Feb 2017

Fantastic hostel. Possibly the best hostel in Perth if you are looking to socialise and make friends. Friendly staff. Great location, with easy free bus transport. Value for money. Would definitely stay there again the next time I'm back in Perth.

• danielmorrisla
  • England, Male, 18-24
15th Feb 2017

A fantastic hostel. There is a free and convenient bus to get into the centre of the city. The staff are friendly and the facilities are great. There is a friendly atmosphere and it is a great place to feel at home. This is one if the best hostels I have stayed in.

1st Feb 2017

This is the best hostel ever. Everyone really made an effort to make me feel welcome, as it is just part of the culture there to say hi to everyone. They are strict, but everyone is super respectful. I loved my stay so much I tried to book an extra week, but they booked out SO QUICKLY. Get the beds while they're hot!

• England, Male, 31-40
19th Jan 2017

Never been backpacking or stopped in a hostel before and so I was a little anxious on arrival but the management and the other guests were great and I settled in quickly. A small hostel, around 30 people there, good facilities to cater for that many. Take advantage of the free breakfast and make sure you are there for the free friday night bbq when everyone has a feast and drinks together. Location is good, 5 mins from free bus service, 20min walk to centre. Would highly recommend this place.