Wickham Retreat Backpackers

9.0
Superb 809 Total Reviews

• England, Male, 18-24
6th Sep 2017

Very good hostel - close to the city but far enough that you'll get a good nights sleep. Thumbs up to the free breakfast, facilities and friendly staff. French and Japanese guests were also inviting. Good chilled out vibe about the place after taking in Perth

31st Aug 2017

Great little hostel, everyone is so friendly and makes you feel welcome to the hostel family straight away. Free breakfast, free pool and free laundry are deal breakers

• Switzerland, Female, 25-30
10th Aug 2017

Awesome place! One of the most homely I've been to. Best value for money ever! So generous even that some douche bags dare to take advantage... Goes without saying that you take no more than you actually need! There are stops for the free buses round the corner, so the location is formidable ;) Thank you guys for everything...

• India, Mixed Group, 25-30
5th Aug 2017

We enjoyed our stay. The location of the hostel was very convenient. Highly recommended.

• Australia, Male, 25-30
2nd Aug 2017

I stayed at Wickham Retreat whist in Perth - it offers clean rooms, a safe environment, free breakfast and most of all a quiet place to rest (all as advertised). Staff were very helpful and guests were also friendly and interested in getting to know you - be that over a drink or a game of pool. From having stayed at number of hostels around the world, I have found Wickham Retreat to be one of the most giving places that genuinely cares for its guests - it also helps to be engaging yourself

• Germany, Male, 18-24
1st Aug 2017

So I stayed at this Hostel for 6 nights and extended another 7 nights ! It's an amazing Hostel close to the city and you're inside Perth within a walking distance of 10-15 minutes. My stay has been more than enjoyable! Pros: Amazing staff (Chris 9.7/10 stars! - I'd give 10 stars if he happens to be the most attractive girl haha) But in all seriousness, he's such a great guy ! -location is alright, parks nearby value ++++++ free breakfast and more cons: basically nothing big ! bed sorta noisy

• England, Female, 18-24
31st Jul 2017

A really good location for getting into the centre of Perth (free bus network five mins away) staff very helpful in helping you understand the location etc. Bed was comfy and clean, but not enough showers/bathrooms for the amount of people, on my first night water was pouring through the roof of the disabled shower room. I personally didn't like the vibe here, a lot of long term people staying and nearly everyone I met was working. Free breakfast and use of laundry facilities is a big plus.

• Norway, Female, 25-30
8th Jul 2017
4.3

Very dirty and quite outdated hostel, would not stay again. The hostel is small and relaxed with friendly staff, however this does not outweigh that it is too dirty for comfort. Eg: I saw a rat in the kitchen area at night, not a pleasant experience. Complimentary (simple bread/cereal) breakfast and free laundry makes it an affordable option. Surrounding area is very dark and feels a bit deserted at night.

Sorry you didn’t fully enjoy your stay here. A more modern hostel I think would be to some guests suiting. Wickham is an old federation style building with numerous restorations throughout the years and thats what gives it its character and atmosphere as its like a big sharehouse where everyone interacts (USUALLY). We do have a cleaning schedule but I cant guarantee the last guy to use the bathroom has cleaned up his shaved bristles 30 seconds before you walk in. I cant guarantee after cleaning the kitchen that a girl hasnt wiped up the jam and butter she spilled on the worktop just before you go butter your toast. As far as the mouse goes, yes its a fat mouse due to some guests not cleaning up after themselves. We are pretty strict on cleaning rules here so we dont get unwelcome visitors but with the rain and some guests not cleaning after a midnight snack, of course the odd hungry fella is going to get nosey. Also, were not really expecting the queen to pop in for a cup of tea now are we. But we are on top of the problem, now that I know about it. If someone tells me asap about a problem, I can address it. Its no good finding out about it days later in a review. The simple breakfast as you put it, is eat as much as you want cornflakes, weetbix, rice bubbles, toast, strawberry, apricot, marmalade jams, tea, coffee, sugar and milk. Free, unlimited, eat as much to your hearts content. And thats right, the streets are quiet and darker at night as we are not a party hostel in the middle of the city and guarrantee our guests a good nights sleep. Outside is definitely not a scene out of the walking dead like in the city, no police or ambulance flashing lights, no one reciting lines from “ one who flew over the cuckoos nest “ …..alone. No parties in the rooms, no waking up choking on weed smoke feeling like ur an extra in a new cheech and chong movie, but sorry about the Italian who snored, I know he wasn’t on the list, but without smothering him or hitting him on the head, theres not much I can do about him hhhhhhh So please, all future guests, I would prefer you to come talk to me about any concerns before crucifying a great Perth hostel on here.

• Macau, Female, 18-24
6th Jul 2017

People and stuff there are so nice

• England, Female, 18-24
29th Jun 2017

100% would recommend for solo travellers (as the majority of people staying there are)!! It's a young persons place so I wouldn't recommend for anyone over the age of 35! I had such a blast and made so many amazing friends, so much so that I extended my stay multiple times!! The things which make Wickham standout from other hostels: Netflix, free wifi, free breakfast as well as free pasta and rice, and free food dominos pizza night! Only one criticism; not enough bathrooms, otherwise it's fab!

×