William Penn House Reviews

515 East Capitol St SE, Washington DC, USA

Staff was so friendly and helpful. The house was so clean and comfortable. I felt so at home! Thank you for a lovely memory of Washington D.C. I feel like I have a home here, now. (Perhaps someday I will return!) Peace be with you.

• 20th Nov 2014

Friendly, efficiently run house and hostel.

• 14th Nov 2014

So welcoming. I stayed there often, 10 years ago, and felt this was as well and welcoming as remembered. Tom was clear and responsive at the desk, and I really enjoyed the opportunity to visit with other mindful guests at the common breakfast time. Great if there were one private room available for rental for a couple, but I recognize that space contstraints (and hostel culture, perhaps) may mitigate against.

• 9th Nov 2014

I am in my 60's and came as part of a lobbying effort. Guests were varied in age and reason for being there. It was a socially comfortable place to stay. A simple breakfast was a nice option.

• 1st Nov 2014

Very Positive..staff was very helpful (and young). It got cold and heat was not on for several days. Staff did not know how to activate it! Would stay again when in DC. Thanks soo much. Marilyn Oslanbder

• 28th Oct 2014

Some of the bathrooms don't lock (inconvenient when sharing with other people on a hall), and it was a bit confusing to figure out how to store luggage during the day, but the staff were very nice (including staying up to 1 am to check me in after my bus broke down on the way to DC), and the breakfast was good.

• 15th Oct 2014

"Breakfast included" 8- 9 = Tea, coffee, oj, milk, dry cereal, toast (1x whole wheat

• 12th Oct 2014

Very close to main attractions, nice and quiet - if that is what you are looking for, clean.

Overall, was a nice place to stay. It is eerily quiet; felt uncomfortably quiet. No lockers. Only doors that lock are bathroom and front door (locked all the time). Location is ok, but still a walk from the major sites. No on-site laundry. Reasonable-sized grocery store not very close. Very clean. Let me just say again, quiet. Also, no elevator. I wasn't the only one struggling to haul my stuff up two flights of stairs. In residential neighborhood that is "dark" at night, but meant to be safe.

The staff were friendly and helpful, and the location good, but the hostel itself was fairly lacking. Asceticism would perhaps be a good thing if you were staying for religious reasons, but not so much for tourists. The rooms were squishy and the showers quite dodgy. Security also seemed to rely on a trust system, with the only locked door being the front entrance, and only tiny lockers being available for hire. You'd generally hope a hostel is more secure.

This was my first hostel stay, and it was very secure, clean, and comfy. The location was perfect, and I loved the neighborhood. Whenever I travel back to DC, I'll be staying here again!

• 13th Sep 2014

I had a really nice time at William Penn House. I felt welcome, safe, and comfortable. The location was fantastic, only a short walk from the Capitol, Eastern Market, Union Station, and other locales. The staff was friendly and accommodating of our large group. I liked that there was a living room area where we could relax and have meetings. Facilities were convenient and clean. The showers sputtered a little bit, but I didn't really mind. All in all it met all my needs and I had a great stay.

• 13th Sep 2014

The place was clean but I thought the necessities could have been better attended to; refilling toilet paper more regularly, keeping the water jug filled, making sure the items for breakfast were fully stocked. Overall a generally positive experience, however.

• 1st Sep 2014

Spotlessly clean, well organised and friendly and helpful staff.

Excellent location and lovely people. Not the typical hostel atmosphere, but I appreciated the quiet. Only thing I didn't like was that there was really no way to make food.

Great place. I would definitely stay there again. Although the facilities (bathrooms) are a little outdated, they are still usable and suffice. AMAZING location. About a five minute walk from the U.S. Capitol. The closest Metro station to use is Capital South. The neighborhood (Capitol Hill area) is absolutely BEAUTIFUL. Beautiful row houses and gardens. Since it is Quaker-affiliated, the atmosphere in the hostel is one of trust—I very much enjoyed that and had no issues with it.

• 7th Aug 2014

I was very impressed with the facility, staff, guests, & it's location, the helpfullness & knowledge of the staff & guests was incredable, I cannot thank everyone enough for a wonderful experience on sudh a short visit. I hope stay another time or two.

• 29th Jul 2014

This place is fantastic! Everyone is very friendly and the location couldn't be better. I will definitely stay here anytime I'm in DC!

• 13th Jul 2014

Nice for the price. Wish there were more showers (1-2 per floor) but it wasn't a terrible sitch. Staff was friendly. Definitely a quiet stay. Not for the socalite seeking an adventuresome crowd.

• 4th Jul 2014

As mentioned, this is a Quaker hostel which seems to be on top of a Quaker (youth/prayer?) center this meant that there was so little interaction between guests that there wasn't a hostel vibe at all. The mattress' were rather thin so I could feel the bed springs digging into my back. The rooms curtains also didn't stop the morning light so I was waking up at 6am most mornings. No big lockers or anything. Bathrooms weren't great. However, the staff were friendly and the location was good.

We apologize that you didn't enjoy your stay as much as you might have at other hostel experiences you have had in the past. We do have lockers in the ten person rooms and in the basement that are available for rent or you can store objects in our office and retrieve them while the office is open. Our hostel runs service projects for youth in DC as well as many other things. You can find more information at www.williampennhouse.org. Thank you for your review and we'll do what we can to improve!

View all Washington DC Hostels