William Penn House Reviews

515 East Capitol St SE, Washington DC, USA

The other guests at Wm. Penn House were especially interesting and nice to room with. The staff went to great lengths to get me a lower bunk bed.

• 30th Jan 2015

The people were helpful and friendly. I was under stress and dealing with a sad situation and they were kind and provided me with a beautiful place to stay. The building is in a central area and is a wonderful old house with a lot of space, not to mention being very comfortable. I would suggest it to anyone looking for a hostel situation in the DC area.

• 28th Jan 2015

Staff was so friendly and helpful. The house was so clean and comfortable. I felt so at home! Thank you for a lovely memory of Washington D.C. I feel like I have a home here, now. (Perhaps someday I will return!) Peace be with you.

• 20th Nov 2014

Pleasant stay and helpful staff

Friendly, efficiently run house and hostel.

• 14th Nov 2014

So welcoming. I stayed there often, 10 years ago, and felt this was as well and welcoming as remembered. Tom was clear and responsive at the desk, and I really enjoyed the opportunity to visit with other mindful guests at the common breakfast time. Great if there were one private room available for rental for a couple, but I recognize that space contstraints (and hostel culture, perhaps) may mitigate against.

• 9th Nov 2014

I am in my 60's and came as part of a lobbying effort. Guests were varied in age and reason for being there. It was a socially comfortable place to stay. A simple breakfast was a nice option.

• 1st Nov 2014

Very Positive..staff was very helpful (and young). It got cold and heat was not on for several days. Staff did not know how to activate it! Would stay again when in DC. Thanks soo much. Marilyn Oslanbder

• 28th Oct 2014

Some of the bathrooms don't lock (inconvenient when sharing with other people on a hall), and it was a bit confusing to figure out how to store luggage during the day, but the staff were very nice (including staying up to 1 am to check me in after my bus broke down on the way to DC), and the breakfast was good.

• 15th Oct 2014

"Breakfast included" 8- 9 = Tea, coffee, oj, milk, dry cereal, toast (1x whole wheat

• 12th Oct 2014

Very close to main attractions, nice and quiet - if that is what you are looking for, clean.

Overall, was a nice place to stay. It is eerily quiet; felt uncomfortably quiet. No lockers. Only doors that lock are bathroom and front door (locked all the time). Location is ok, but still a walk from the major sites. No on-site laundry. Reasonable-sized grocery store not very close. Very clean. Let me just say again, quiet. Also, no elevator. I wasn't the only one struggling to haul my stuff up two flights of stairs. In residential neighborhood that is "dark" at night, but meant to be safe.

The staff were friendly and helpful, and the location good, but the hostel itself was fairly lacking. Asceticism would perhaps be a good thing if you were staying for religious reasons, but not so much for tourists. The rooms were squishy and the showers quite dodgy. Security also seemed to rely on a trust system, with the only locked door being the front entrance, and only tiny lockers being available for hire. You'd generally hope a hostel is more secure.

This was my first hostel stay, and it was very secure, clean, and comfy. The location was perfect, and I loved the neighborhood. Whenever I travel back to DC, I'll be staying here again!

• 13th Sep 2014

I had a really nice time at William Penn House. I felt welcome, safe, and comfortable. The location was fantastic, only a short walk from the Capitol, Eastern Market, Union Station, and other locales. The staff was friendly and accommodating of our large group. I liked that there was a living room area where we could relax and have meetings. Facilities were convenient and clean. The showers sputtered a little bit, but I didn't really mind. All in all it met all my needs and I had a great stay.

• 13th Sep 2014

The place was clean but I thought the necessities could have been better attended to; refilling toilet paper more regularly, keeping the water jug filled, making sure the items for breakfast were fully stocked. Overall a generally positive experience, however.

• 1st Sep 2014