William Penn House Reviews

515 East Capitol St SE, Washington DC, USA

As mentioned, this is a Quaker hostel which seems to be on top of a Quaker (youth/prayer?) center this meant that there was so little interaction between guests that there wasn't a hostel vibe at all. The mattress' were rather thin so I could feel the bed springs digging into my back. The rooms curtains also didn't stop the morning light so I was waking up at 6am most mornings. No big lockers or anything. Bathrooms weren't great. However, the staff were friendly and the location was good.

We apologize that you didn't enjoy your stay as much as you might have at other hostel experiences you have had in the past. We do have lockers in the ten person rooms and in the basement that are available for rent or you can store objects in our office and retrieve them while the office is open. Our hostel runs service projects for youth in DC as well as many other things. You can find more information at www.williampennhouse.org. Thank you for your review and we'll do what we can to improve!

It's a great place to stay when traveling alone. I felt very safe there.

The thing I liked the most was the location. Very nice neighborhood.

• 20th Jun 2014

Thank you for your review! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Extremely good location in a residential neigbourhood and only a few hundred meters from the Capitolium. Also close to the Metro. The house in itself is quite simple, but cosy. There is no staff onsite during the nights, so a question is how secure it really is. Never felt unsafe during my stay, though. The hostel is run by the quakers, which didn't bother me in a any way. There is a service every morning and many of the other guest would probably normally be quakers. Very nice receptionist.

We do, in fact, have staff members living in residence. The office closes at 9pm, after which they tend to keep a low profile. However, the staff do remain in an "on call" designation for the remainder of the night, and can be reached through a staff alert bell in the event of emergencies. While we do have a number of Quaker guests, being Quaker is not a requirement. We welcome anyone who is interested in staying with us!

1 2 Next » last »