William Penn House Reviews

515 East Capitol St SE, Washington DC, USA

It's a great place to stay when traveling alone. I felt very safe there.

The thing I liked the most was the location. Very nice neighborhood.

• 20th Jun 2014

Thank you for your review! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Extremely good location in a residential neigbourhood and only a few hundred meters from the Capitolium. Also close to the Metro. The house in itself is quite simple, but cosy. There is no staff onsite during the nights, so a question is how secure it really is. Never felt unsafe during my stay, though. The hostel is run by the quakers, which didn't bother me in a any way. There is a service every morning and many of the other guest would probably normally be quakers. Very nice receptionist.

We do, in fact, have staff members living in residence. The office closes at 9pm, after which they tend to keep a low profile. However, the staff do remain in an "on call" designation for the remainder of the night, and can be reached through a staff alert bell in the event of emergencies. While we do have a number of Quaker guests, being Quaker is not a requirement. We welcome anyone who is interested in staying with us!

This is an interesting place to stay with a clear philosophy. I meant some interesting people who were staying at the Hostel whilst in D.C. to lobby Congress about engaging more diplomatically and peacefully with the world.

Thank you for your review! In addition to the hostel/hospitality aspect (both for individuals as well as groups), the William Penn House facilitates a number of service learning projects both in DC as well as other locations. For more information, you can check out our website http://williampennhouse.org/programs

My stay was perfect. The hostel is in a nice area, really close to the Capitol. The staff was helpful and friendly. The rooms were big enough, the bathroom was clean. I'd definitely recommend this hostel!

• 30th May 2014