Willy Wallace Hostel Reviews

77 Murray Place, Stirling, Scotland

1) there was building work going on inside the hostel at 8:30am on a Saturday morning. Impossible to sleep through and rendered a bathroom useless. Couldn't get into the shower because of this and wasn't told about it when I checked in. 2) the door has a code to get into the bedroom. This is not secure!! What's to stop someone returning in the following days and stealing stuff? Use a key card like other hostels do.

Dear M, Thank you for your comment. Sorry you felt disturbed by the renovation of the bathroom we just started! If you can't indeed use the shower (because of its renovation) you can still use the one next to it. The door has code to actually make the bedroom secure indeed. What is to stop someone stealing stuff on the same day? A door code yes, and then another code for the front doorm, cctv, staff being on site 24 hours etc... youdon't have to worry about to much. Hopefully you'll be back on day to see how the refurbishement of our bathrooms is worth and how secure is our place. Kind regards, WWH Team

We really enjoyed our stay here! The staff was very friendly, the location was great (dat proximity to the train station, wow), and fairly clean. The bed was nice and comfy, and they even did our laundry, folded and in bags for under £6. The view was exceptional from the private room, would highly recommend. Also, their WiFi was out of this world, man I miss that WiFi. Only complaint is that a couple of clubs right beside WW got out at 2am, making a bit of noise. Otherwise phenomenal stay!

Dear B, Thank you for your comment, great to hear all these words from you. Yes, we do have the best wifi in the world, I, the rest of the staff and all the guests agree on this! kind regards, WWH Team

Awesome cosy hostel with a good atmosphere and super friendly staff who called me by name - highly recommend

Dear B, Thank you for your comment, it was a pleasure having you with us! See you next time! Willy Wallace Team!

The only thing to complain about is the homemade beds are a bit uncomfortable for the price one pays. The beds of boards at both the head and foot that suck if you're over 6ft tall. Everything else was great oh except the punch lock on my room was highly unresponsive because it's not secured to the door or something. If it's not in place then the code won't work. The light above should be replaced too so one can see the numbers clearly.

Small and friendly hostel, big kitchen and cool common room, lots of friendly staff. We were put in an extremely cold room at first, but we were given a warmer room when we asked for it. Well located in the center, near a grocery store.

Hostel staff incredibly friendly and helpful. Great location, comfortable beds and reliable wifi. Unfortunately my room had a particularly loud snorer, but that's not the hostel's fault, of course. Highly recommended.

Exceptionally friendly and outgoing staff. Great location, though stirling is small enough that it's easy to get anywhere. Hostel had a very 'lived-in' feel that maybe traded some cleanliness for coziness (think fuzzy, worn couches). Main complaint was I had the loudest snorer I've ever encountered in my room both nights, but it's hard to hold that against the hostel. I ended up sleeping in the common area and they were okay with it.

Dear David, Thank you for your comment, happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. Just to say we're not OK with people sleeping in the common room and if you remember well we gave you a bed in a different room in the wee hours. Hope to see you some other days. Kind regards, The Willy Wallace Hostel Team

Staff were very friendly. Perfect location. I was placed in a 10 bed room with 9 males (only female). The door to the bedroom didn't lock, anyone could simply push it open at any time. The female bathroom door didn't close properly and you couldn't lock the door, therefore anyone could walk in at any time.

Dear A, Thank you for your comment. To ensure everyone feels comfortable we have a female dorm that you can book on-line. As said our staff is very friendly, and you can address any trouble you're encountering while staying (like a door which doesn't close or other), it's with pleasure we'll deal with this. Regards, The Willy Wallace Team

Nice friendly and personal welcome from Polish member of staff - gave me plenty of information about how to spend the afternoon in Stirling. Same friendly treatment on leaving - the French lad took time off from hovering the floor to hoover up facts about my home town in Northern Ireland and point out on a map where he came from.

Dear G, Thank you for the nice comment, Polish, French, Irish, all in one at the Willy Wallace Hostel. see you some other times so we can hoover up a bit further. Kind regards, The Willy Wallace Hostel Team

The security was very poor. Although the doors to the rooms had punch codes, none of them latched which meant anyone could enter any room. The place is located above or beside clubs which were extremely loud till the early hours of the morning. The staff was not considerate of guests, more interested in socializing with each other. Wifi only worked in the main area and even then not always. Could be a nice place with more attentive staff.

A good place to stay at a good cost. The only negative I have was that some of the tiles in the bathroom right outside of the shower had water under them and sounded super weird when you stepped on them.

Very friendly and helpful staff. The common room has a nice atmosphere where you can talk to other guests and have a drink together. Good value for the price.

Dear D, Thank you for your message. Happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. Well, thank you again! The Willy Wallace Hostel Team.

Like other hostels, people tend to puddle with same 2-3 dish towels. Why don't we encourage folks to wash and leave to drip-dry on draining racks. Others could then select directly from items on racks or put away dry items before washing theirs. Both practicality and hygiene would get a boost!

Great place! Really awesome staff, fun to hang out with. Good rooms with lots of space. Nice commons area with TV and a whole bunch of movies! Good kitchen with plenty of stove tops. And great location, 2 minute walk to train station. Would recommend!

Dear R, Thank you for the review, thank you for using such positive words (in the order: great; awesome; fun; good; nice; good; great; recommend), this resume the Willy Wallace Hostel! Kind Regards, The Willy Wallace Hostel Team

There was a tv in the room which didn't work; there was a radiator for heat, but no heat (I asked). I was able to borrow a space heater, but didn't feel confident it would not burn the place down, as it smelled like burning and needed to be propped up against something in order to turn on. From the top floor, you could hear everything going on down on the street (it was not a quiet street) as well as everything everyone was doing on the rest of the floor. Perhaps some sound dampening would help?

Dear, Thank you for your message. Sorry to hear about your average experience in our hostel. The TV does work and we're more than happy to show you how (we've got a great DVD collection you agree), it was still a bit early to switch the central heating on, and the portable heater does the job in your case (there is a safety pin on it indeed). Sorry about the noise from the street, sure the students were having a good one on that night, we do offer earplugs at reception. Regards, The WWH team

Loved my stay here! I was only there for one night but I wish I could have stayed longer! Best hostel I've been in so far. Amazing kitchen and common room. Loved it!

A perfect hostel in a perfect location in Stirling. The staff were great, and very welcoming and a lot of fun to hang out with when they weren't working. The common area has an excellent atmosphere, it's fantastic for meeting people and there's always something going on each night. Dorms/bathrooms were clean and well maintained, and the kitchen was very functional. Wifi isn't always the greatest, but that's the only tiny complaint for an otherwise brilliant hostel.

Very nice hostel. Staff were very helpfull and fun. Good atmosphere in the common room. Rooms, bathrooms and showers were clean. Great location, only a few minutes walk from train station and una very central part of the town. Only thing is wifi is a bit weak in the rooms but fine in the common room. Although I didn't think that was a horrible thing. Would absolutely stay again.

Not good. Location was decent but staff wasn't great. Not too friendly and he short changed us at check in. No security for belongings only a tiny locker big enough for passport and wallet. I slept with my bags. Wifi wouldn't work in rooms either

Dear E, Thank you for your review, we feel sad you didn't enjoy you stay with us. Sorry for short changing you, we would have arranged those extra pences missing a bit later. Lockers are indeed for valuables (passport and wallet are a perfect example), if you're worrying about your pants and socks you are more than welcome to leave your bag at the reception. Wifi can indeed reach your room depending of the device you're using, the best connection being in the common room. Regards, WWH Team

Welcoming environment with friendly staff. The location is extremely easy to find next to the train station. For the price of many hostels in the UK, the amount is okay to what you get.