Wombats City Hostel Vienna- The Base Reviews

Grangasse 6, Vienna, Austria

The Wombats Hostel was great to stay in! I' ve met those amazing people over there, the atmosphere is great! Also the free tour was very informative and they showed all the important place to go. Too bad they didnt start at this hostel, but at another one of the Wombats, but the tour made up for it. The hostel itself was also very clean, you could see that they clean your room everyday. So go there! :)

I only stayed there for 2 nights but it was very nice. The bar is really good. They try to make everything a pun or a joke, very funny hostel. I would go there again.

• 3rd Aug 2014
  • Japan

Really close to the main train station and easy to find with the good directions on the website, room was a good size and ensuite was very handy. Only negative was that there was only one plug for 6 people which was a nightmare for charging phones etc but all good other than that!!!

This a contiki hotel (which should tell you all you need to know). It is a long way from the city and you will need to catch public transport to get it. It's a cheap place which provides all the basics. We were very happy to have wifi in the rooms and coin washing machines for our dirty clothes. They have huge soundproof doors which the block the pub off with at night and that seemed to work really well. Didn't hear a thing.

• 1st Aug 2014

wombat is very interesting place and convenience for me

• 31st Jul 2014
  • South Korea

Really nice hostel. I especially appreciated the laundry facilities(free laundry soap!) and guest kitchen. The common areas are great and the staff was very friendly and helpful.

Really good hostel, very comfortable. The staff was really nice and managed put my friend and I in the same room with no problem. Very good space in the 4 people room, good shower. Decent locker in the room and a nice bar in the common area. I definitely would stay in Wombats again.

Nice rooms, nice people and general nice atmosphere.

• 27th Jul 2014

Rooms were great and clean, breakfast was huge and the kitchen was great for cooking. A ten min walk from westbahnhof and 45 min walk from town.

The rooms need more plugs

• 25th Jul 2014
  • Venezuela

Great place, there is a good ambiance with the bar, but it's still very quiet in the rooms. It's also walking distance form downtown.

• 25th Jul 2014

I wasn't thrilled with the location - while handy to be next to the train station for an early morning train, coming back at night felt ever so slightly dodgy. It is a big hostel, so not much atmosphere, but the free drink on arrival was very nice. Breakfast was fine, though only continental. The staff were nice enough, but I did feel as if I were on a conveyor belt, being shovelled through as quickly as possible. However, it was clean, had decent facilities and was a good base.

The breakfast was delicious and 3,90 is a very good price. A bit pity though that the staff insisted on speaking English with me and my friend even though we both are fluent in German... I guess they just tried to be polite but they should also at least ask (or bear in mind that some of us prefer German :)

• 23rd Jul 2014
  • Finland

Hi! I know the feeling!! We will tell the staff to ask first if you prefer ENglish or German. It is sometimes even cool to improve new languages :) It is only that we are used to work with English speakers and sometimes we even end up speaking English with each other but we will improve that, promised!! Wir wünschen dir eine wunderschöne Reise!

The base is what you expect from any other Wombats. It is a big hostel, so the staff isn't too available. The location is not the best. But you have the bar where you can meet other travellers, the rooms are great!

Hi! Sad to read that you felt the staff "not available", we will need to improve that. Thanks so much for your review and for helping us to improve our hostel everyday :) We wish you wonderful travels!

The breakfast is one of the best I have ever had at a hostel. The staff are very friendly and helpful.

The location is a little sketch, but not too bad. This place is really big, with place for around 260 people or so. We had booked an all-female room, but it ended up being mixed which was a little frustrating, but we probably should have asked when we checked We had a 6-person room and there was only one outlet, which was a little frustrating since it was really hot and we had to choose between using the fan and charging our phones. There's a nice courtyard terrace and the breakfast was decent.

Location was far from the center and in a sketchy area near a train station. One Of the male staff was rude. They give you a free drink pass for the bar they have inside which tells you what type of place this is. 2 STA groups were there when I stayed, once again an indication of what this place is like. It's ok for the price but if your a more experienced traveler and want more than the third year in college experience this is not the place.

Hey! the location is actually in the middle between the city center and the Schönbrunn Palace, which is not bad at all :) The free drink voucher is supposed to be a "Welcome Drink" to welcome you in our place, it is thought as a nice warm welcome idea, sorry if you got the wrong impression : (. Please, help us improve our work and send an email to office@wombats-vienna.at telling exactly what happened with the rude staff member. Thanks and happy travels!

Great wombats! Dorms are big and clean, great kitchen and bar. Staff is awesome as always! Only downside is that it's further out than the other wombats in the city but close to the train station and you can walk to the sites in about 25 minutes. Would stay again!

The bar was good. Rooms were fine no complaints but nothing special. Only stayed here because i was joining a tour that started here, otherwise would definitely stay at the wombats closer to the city

Unfortunately, the hostel hosts a ton of Contiki tours making it rowdy and difficult to meet people.