Wombats City Hostel Vienna- The Base Reviews

Grangasse 6, Vienna, Austria

I really liked how they had lockers in each room and we even had our own bathroom. The staff was super awesome and the atmosphere of the place was super legit. I would definitely go back and reccommend to friends staying in Vienna.

Immediately after we arrived the staff provided recommendations on places to go. Breakfast was unlimited and the best of any hostel we have stayed at. The baggage storage area was convenient and all rooms had lockers for keeping stuff safe. Very clean, helpful, conveniently located-- especially with the other wombats hostels around the city, this is the place to stay in Vienna!! Highly recommended.

Hey! Good to read that. We really hope to see u again in any wombats hostel and we wish you safe and wonderful travels!

Overall, I really enjoyed my stay!

• 3rd Jul 2014
  • Bulgaria

We are happy to hear that!!! :)

Location close to Westbahnhof train and metro makes it easy to get to, helpful and friendly staff, clean!

Lovely staff and cool hostel.

• 2nd Jul 2014
  • Switzerland

Isn't it funny how each hostel has its own vibe, and that vibe is typically discernible as soon as you walk in the door? Wombats proves no exception. The hostel really sums itself up for its visitors right at the reception desk, above which hangs an ad for 50 cent condoms. You see, I've come across two kinds of hostels in Europe: the small, intimate, chill ones, and ones like Wombats: clean, efficient, and utterly soulless. Also breakfast was too expensive.

Friendly staff; very comfortable.

• 1st Jul 2014

I was inter railing on a very on a very tight budget so this place was at the upper end of my budget but that is probably because Vienna is quite an expensive place. The hostel was nice and the staff were friendly and the bar was good. I only stayed for one night so I didn't get a full appreciation of the hostel. Though it didn't feel like it had quite the same close knit community feel as other hostels that I have been to. I think it's a good hostel to come to if you are already in a group.

Location of The Base is compared to the other two Wombats in Vienna the least, but beds and facilities are good. There is a big locker for everyone in the room and a light at every bed. There weren't enough sockets in the room though. We had hoped that it would be a social hostel, but when we were there, there were loads of schoolgroups. The social area might be better without 16- and 17-years old staying in the hostel.

Awesome hostel with everything you can wish for (breakfast xith real coffee, bar, personal locker, cool staff, real bathroom, good valuee for money). Only downsides : the wifi doesnt work well on smartphones, and it was very hot in the room (it was hot as well outside). I'll come back there next time, maybe at a more central location!

I heard good things about wombats hotel however the location was not great but I suppose for the price it is good. It's not in the nicest areas so be careful walking out at night. You have to make and undress your own beds. Wifi doesn't work. They have a bar but no atmosphere. It was clean and safe what we needed but wouldn't stay again.

Bed bugs; massive con-tiki tours full of 17-year-olds; noise from the train station. On the other hand, when we found the bed bugs, the hostel staff did their best to ameliorate the situation.

Hi! Sorry to hear that with the bed bugs :( Unfortunately those little animals are the nightmare of every hostel/hotel. They seem to love travelling for free on people's lugagge and once we notice them, we immediately react and help you with whatever we can. We also close that room till it is completely fumigated by a professional company. Hope you had a great time anyway :)

The hostel is small but you got everything you need. It situated in a quiet street, a little bit far comparing to Wombat the place. I stayed in a dormitory room for six, there is not enough lighting and has only two sockets.

Porbably worst of the wombats in terms of location. However, the rooms were very nice witha private bathroom in each 4person room. Complimentary drink was nice too. Also, take advantage that there's other wombat hostels around. Make them your rest stops ;)

Hostel was really great. Nice, clean, great and helpful staff... This hostel is definitely a great choice!

• 25th Jun 2014
  • Croatia

This place was located very close to the train station and bus stops. Everything was as promised and we had a great stay.

Thank you for giving us free breakfast!! (Because we let a man to live in) So nice of you!

Quite far from the old town, didn't have a fantastic vibe. Quiet a few older people and families staying there however this may have been because there were quite a few concerts in town the few days I was there. I went to both other wombats hostels while I was there for a couple of things & the vibes were much better. More solo traveller friendly! I would suggest stay here as a last resort.

Hi! Our guests are different from day to day as in every other hostel :)We do actually have a great kitchen area where our guests meet each other and solo travellers end up having new friends everyday (I have experienced it in the hostel myself! :) ). Our bar uses to be also a good meeting point for people travelling alone. We are located between the city center and the Schönbrunn Palace, which makes it a perfect location to visit 2 of the most important points of interests in Vienna:)

The hostel is a bit of a walk from the city center and where a lot of the activity is in Vienna. I was also a little bit disappointed that the bar area was filled with middle schoolers. Not sure if that is typical for this hostel. The rooms were a great value for the money. Also had a very solid wifi connection.

My only real complaint is that they need more wall outlets. One per room just does not seem like enough.