Wombats City Hostel Vienna- The Base Reviews

Grangasse 6, Vienna, Austria

Wombats is an OK hostel. The location makes getting around Vienna a bit more difficult, but the wonderful metro system really helps. Don't expect to make friends here, especially as a solo traveler. Like Vienna itself, Wombats is clean and well-run, but in the end sterile. Staff were mostly helpful and friendly. My stay here wasn't unpleasant, but I would go elsewhere next time. Perhaps things would be different if I had a group.

17€/night is a bit expensive but really good value, clean, nice staff and funny bar inside with baby foot and pool, I recommend :)

Good for the environment, pleasant atmosphere. I'm sorry that there is no restaurant.

Everything was great, specially the location and the bar... If I have to say something bad is just the guy who slept with us... He stinks! But wel... It isn't fault of the hostel..

• 17th Oct 2014
  • Spain

more an hotel than a hostel so I wouldn't recommend it for solo-travelers. moreover it was the basic things that the hostel lack that irritated me the most, especially the fact that there are no more than 2 wall plugs in dorms and that no soap in bathroom. one cannot ignore also the awfully loud noise in the nights. as far as i'm concerned I won't be returnning to any of the Wombats ever again

It is ok for a hostel. Bathroom had a really awful smell of mildew. Also the room is very small. Isolation is bad, you can hear everything through the walls. Plus sides are great staff and great breakfast.

• 16th Oct 2014
  • Croatia

Pretty average hostel. It was hard to shell out this much cash for it, but this is vienna. Wifi works great, but the beds are crazy dusty. Pretty sure I got bedbug bites here. It is one of the cheapest hostels in Vienna, though.

I like wombats hostels but this one was really horrible. I sat on the sofa next to the bar, but immediately left because it was smelling like someone had vormited there. There was no chilling area except area next to the kitchen but it is more like dinning room. On the room is no electric plug for every bed. If wombats in vienna not this one.

Hi! After I read your review I ran to the bar to check what you meant but it smells good there. Our staff is always very helpful in such situations, next time please let them know and they will clean inmediately. Our cleaning staff is really good and we clean every corner daily. Our chill out area is the breakfast area, with sofas, chairs and separated from the noise of the bar with a glass wall.

Nice clean tidy hostel. Friendly staff and even though there is music playing in the evening you can't hear it with the soundproof door. About a 10-15 min walk to metro station which isn't too bad as you are in the centre with in 10 mins it on a quiet street the only thing you can here is the trains but you get used to it nice comfortable bed and plenty of space in the room and a nice big bathroom that you can turn round in and dry yourself.

Hostel was welcoming, clean and well looked after. It was great that they have a metal door that is kept close in the evening which leads to the bedrooms. This means that if you are in bed, you won't be disturbed. The lounge area was also very nice with a range of seating for everyone to relax. After pounding the streets in the day - it was definitely needed!

This is the second time I've stayed at the Base. The room was clean, quiet and comfortable. Breakfast was great as usual (mostly because of the coffee machine. I have yet to find another hostel that offers lattes, espresso and chocochinos. Nom). The staff was friendly and efficient when I arrived late in the evening. The only complaint I would have would be about how noisy the bedding is to get set up when you're trying to sneak in late at night. But that's not even a complaint, really.

4 bed room Pros. Safety, cleanliness, decent location, comfortable beds Cons. Feels more like a cheap hotel than a hostel/ no real atmosphere, horrible wifi, no soap!!! in the bathroom (you have to buy it at the reception, that is if they happen to still have some left) Bottom line. It is a decent option for Vienna, taking into consideration the prices for accommodation in this city, but if you are looking for a fun, friendly hostel, with a good atmosphere than you should look elsewhere.

Only one wall socket per room is to little. There should be some additional sockets.

The location wasn't as good as the Wombats in Naschmarkt. I would recommend Wombats Naschmarkt to anyone instead of The Base.

Good buffet breakfast, for only 3,9€

You get what u pay for no more or less. Just place to sleep and rest. Frustrated with the WiFi and there is not enough place to charge the devices in the room.

• 8th Oct 2014
  • Vietnam

I usually choose the cheapest room, but this time I needed a good sleep so we (my boyfriend and I) took the double bed bedroom. It was amazingly clean and with private bathroom (with lots of extra toilet paper haha). We even got fresh, clean towels. The stuff was super nice and helpfull. All you can it breakfast for 3,90€ is great (fresh vegetables, diff. kind of bread, fairtrade coffee etc.). The only thing that is missing under info. is that they have cheap parking space for 4,50€ per 24h.

Kitchen was small and not well equiped (only two sharp knives, two medium pots, only small plates) also one stove top wasn't working. One night there was a group of over 20 cooking for over two hours using everything and not sharing.

all was great

• 3rd Oct 2014
  • Russia

This hostel was great! The bunk beds in the rooms were made of solid wood which was really nice, because when the person in the top bunk would get down the bed wouldn't shake. Also the bar was a great place to meet people and just hang out. The bartenders are very friendly and pretty awesome, especially Giovanni.Also the location of this hostel is good. It is half way between schonn brunn and the city center. I would definitely stay at this hostel if I were to ever return to Vienna